✍️ Welcome Michail Antonio

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

coyi27

Re: Michail Antonio

Post by coyi27 »

Still unsure what to make of him up front. He's gotta be one of the best players in shrugging the defender off the ball or turning them with sheer upper body strength and directly running at fullbacks, but for subtlety and clean finishing he'd have to be one of the worst. Maybe worth persisting with him for a while just on basis of havoc he causes which can be exploited by our more talented players.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

He's doing a similar but far better job than Sakho used to do, running the channels terrorising and pulling apart defences but I'm sure that he'd really benefit from some coaching from a former top international striker. If I were in Slav's place I'd recruit Ian Wright or Teddy Sheringham to give him some coaching.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

If Antonio bags four goals in the next three games (Burnley, Hull, Swansea) he will have scored 20 goals in the last year (starting 28 Dec 2015). All bar one have come in the PL - his cup goal was v Liverpool.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

For the first time I've seen him impress up front was against Liverpool. If that's more like what he can do, then I like the option of playing him up front if needs be. He seemed to be making the kinda runs I'd expect of a Striker on the last shoulder of the defence. Their defence looked very uncomfortable dealing with him and the goal was the least his work rate deserved.

He'll be close to Hammer of the Year at this rate.
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

He's got the attributes of a good striker in the Malcolm MacDonald / Cyril Regis mould...

Just needs better technique to add to the up and at em that he already has.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

bubbles1966 wrote:If Antonio bags four goals in the next three games (Burnley, Hull, Swansea) he will have scored 20 goals in the last year (starting 28 Dec 2015). All bar one have come in the PL - his cup goal was v Liverpool.
Yeah but he can't pass and move like Iniesta
brooking1966
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by brooking1966 »

Harry Hound wrote:He's doing a similar but far better job than Sakho used to do, running the channels terrorising and pulling apart defences but I'm sure that he'd really benefit from some coaching from a former top international striker. If I were in Slav's place I'd recruit Ian Wright or Teddy Sheringham to give him some coaching.
100% He's very much a work in progress although very effective already. Tireless work rate & determination with great future potential to get even better if managed right. Play him in attack & refine his actions & passing in the last third & we have a 20m+ player on our hands. :D
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

He's becoming our most valuable player. If Randolph and Adrian get injured, expect to see him between the sticks (keeping a clean sheet) :thup:
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

Ha ha. He'd probably be a decent keeper too. Love to see him at right wing or wing back myself. One day we'll have a fit, half decent experienced striker again. One day.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

brooking1966 wrote:
100% He's very much a work in progress although very effective already. Tireless work rate & determination with great future potential to get even better if managed right. Play him in attack & refine his actions & passing in the last third & we have a 20m+ player on our hands.

Funny you should say that, as earlier on into the season I did say the irony about all this talk about buying a new costly "20 goal a season Striker" is that we might already have one on our hands with Antonio.

Incidentally I have him still on 8 for the season, not by going by what the very dubious goal panel said with ruling one out as an own goal, for a header that was heading on target anyway. 8-)
Hammersfaniow
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hammersfaniow »

/\ /\ It was definitely an o.g. v Stoke,

Make you right about his striking qualities though, given a decent run up front he could well be a 20 goal a season man. This just makes me think we should've got a decent RB during the window and also doubt the Ayew signing even more, 20m for someone that probably wouldn't get in our starting XI with everyone fit ?
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

bubbles1966 wrote:If Antonio bags four goals in the next three games (Burnley, Hull, Swansea) he will have scored 20 goals in the last year (starting 28 Dec 2015). All bar one have come in the PL - his cup goal was v Liverpool.
Even if he doesn't score at all, 15 league goals is a fantastic return, all the more impressive considering he's been a wing back for a fair few games.

Plus, let's face it, he comes across as a top top bloke too. That interview when he was picked for England was superb
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

bubbles1966 wrote:If Antonio bags four goals in the next three games (Burnley, Hull, Swansea) he will have scored 20 goals in the last year (starting 28 Dec 2015).
100% he'd already be there if Bilic didn't have some weird thing about him.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

His goalscoring for us reminds me Vaz Te's in the Championship. A wide player that can chip in with the goals that he does is superb.

Sign a RB and a Striker. Let's keep him out wide, it's where he is really going to make the big contributions for us imo.
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

I love him.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Nesticles wrote:His goalscoring for us reminds me Vaz Te's in the Championship. A wide player that can chip in with the goals that he does is superb.

Sign a RB and a Striker. Let's keep him out wide, it's where he is really going to make the big contributions for us imo.
Totally agree. He is the player Allardyce never got upgraded and it was no surprise he picked him for England. Powerful wide forward.

With a decent forward in the middle, he looks devastating from inside/wide positions. Carroll taking up spaces in the box opened lots of chances for Antonio last season.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Couple of points at issue here.

Value, Antonio is worth £25m to us, maybe more, that's what we would be looking at if we had to buy in a like for like player to replace him.

Also, people keep talking about his technique and touch* as a negative, completely the opposite for me, along with the power and pace it's what enables him to wrong foot and confound opponents. Coach a more orthodox shape to his game into him and he will loose a lot of whats working for him.

( * I don't see a problem with his touch at all, plenty of close control when tight to the line and closed down when receiving the ball)
stu1
Has liked: 658 likes
Total likes: 1024 likes

Post by stu1 »

Estuary wrote:Also, people keep talking about his technique and touch* as a negative, completely the opposite for me, along with the power and pace it's what enables him to wrong foot and confound opponents. Coach a more orthodox shape to his game into him and he will loose a lot of whats working for him.

( * I don't see a problem with his touch at all, plenty of close control when tight to the line and closed down when receiving the ball)
Agree with this, his touch might not quite be at the same level as Payet or Lanzini but it certainly isn't bad. His unorthodox style of play actually makes him very difficult to read, which is part of what makes him so dangerous and scares defenders.
Colours never run

It's his actual passing that leaves a lot to be desired a it him for me and inconstant crossing (not always as he has made some excellent delivery into the box before now). Agreed on his touch and close control. At full pelt too anyone would find it hard to beat and control a football and he does fairly well at it.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

I think the critiques of his crossing are fair, but like Payet and his alleged defensive deficiencies, I think he can be given a qualified pass for now given he's one of the few who is actually doing his main job well.

There's a group of 5 who are doing their core role to a decent standard - him, Payet, Reid, Obiang and Kouyate. Everyone else needs a rocket to one degree or another.