✍️ Welcome Michail Antonio

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Danny's Dyer Acting
Has liked: 646 likes
Total likes: 1858 likes

Re: Michail Antonio

Post by Danny's Dyer Acting »

He's finally fit (not just last night, the last couple of months). Through desperation and a lack of options he was rushed back from injury repeatedly over the last 2 years. Start of this season he was ousted by other players which meant he could be brought back into the team properly.

No defender is ever having an easy night against a fit Antonio, especially not in a game like last night where we're forced to sit deep which gives him acres of space to drag defenders into all of the time.He lacks the same technical ability but there's no reason he can't offer as much as Arnautovic did in the 2nd half of last season in terms of stretching defences and creating time/space for others.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 873 likes
Total likes: 849 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Welcome back Michael Antonio. To be fair, he has been getting more and more like the player he was when he first joined us. Built like a brick out-house but with a real turn if foot. Looking forward to more defenders bouncing off him as he marauds through the opposition.
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

I like Iron Mike. Yes his performances can vary from absolute stinkers to really good. His attitude and commitment are impressive unlike the sulky Austrian. Hopefully his finishing will improve.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

ereford ammer wrote:I like Iron Mike. Yes his performances can vary from absolute stinkers to really good. His attitude and commitment are impressive unlike the sulky Austrian. Hopefully his finishing will improve.
Careful criticising the sulky one, you might upset a few people..

:wink:
HammerAl
Total likes: 397 likes

Post by HammerAl »

Really happy for him. Always enjoyed watching him play when he's in full tilt.
MooresTheHero
Has liked: 1226 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by MooresTheHero »

Again, as said in the Liverpool match thread about Ogbonna, I have criticised Antonio in the past. but last night he was much more like the old version of Michail Antonio.

Seems to be really enjoying his football again.

Did you see the big smile he gave Herr Klopp at the end of the match :crest:
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Some of the criticism he got on here was a bit over the top. He obviously struggled for a while with fitness but seems to have overcome that lately. Seems to also have become more tactically astute. One of those left footers may go in one day as well
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 258 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

OTT, yes, but no denying the England call went to his head. Pellers has sorted him out though.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Delighted to see him getting back to what looks like peak fitness.
He bulked up far too much previously and at times found himself out of breath and doubled over just 25mins into a game.

Hope his current regime continues as it is obviously working for him.
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

goa127 wrote:Some of the criticism he got on here was a bit over the top. He obviously struggled for a while with fitness but seems to have overcome that lately. Seems to also have become more tactically astute. One of those left footers may go in one day as well
It seemed to me that he was limping all through the second half. Played very well though.
wivenhoetim
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by wivenhoetim »

..Lookes like he pulled a muscle in his back..after scoring I think?
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 258 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

wivenhoetim wrote:..Lookes like he pulled a muscle in his back..after scoring I think?
Blame the fool who jumped on him while he was trying to ride a horse!
Hamburger
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 450 likes

Post by Hamburger »

Apart from taking along time to get back to match fitness, he is still often played out of position. He is not blessed with close ball skills & has shown that he is best charging at defences. So our recent tippy tappy play on the sidelines and pedestrian sideways build-ups does not suit him - it’s not surprising he has stinkers. We were most effective pressing Liverpool quickly and I think if we get some pace in midfield over the summer, he will be more effective & consistent.
sutts07
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Vic_Watson wrote: Blame the fool who jumped on him while he was trying to ride a horse!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BtecelrH7gt/
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

wivenhoetim wrote:..Lookes like he pulled a muscle in his back..after scoring I think?
He was limping a good few minutes before then. I thought he did something when he slid in to block a cross for a corner.

Why he was kept on the pitch for the whole game was a mystery to me. He was blatantly hindered by the problem. I thought Masuaka would replace him a half time.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1086 likes
Total likes: 1397 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

Good to see him performing well against Liverpool.

My concern is you never know what you will get from him. His goal against Liverpool was one of the best goals from a technical perspective we've seen him score. 9 times out of 10 though he doesn't connect properly in those situations.

From now until the end of the season (like quite a few) we need to see him give that type of performance at least every other game rather than 1 in 3 / 4 games. At the moment, there are a few playing for their long term futures.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

westlondonhammer wrote:Good to see him performing well against Liverpool.
He loves playing against the scousers. He's scored quite a few times against them now and starting to become one of those 'bogey players', only this time we ain't on the receiving end for a change! No wonder their fans have to resort to calling him, 'fat' as some kind of strange rise. :lol:

I think we all wish we were as 'fat' as him..
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1070 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

This why they call him fat the braindead caants

hammerman11
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

welcome back Iron Mic he is getting better each game and as long as he stays away from RB he will be a real asset for us.

Look forward to beast mode in the coming games. he suits our counter attacking style and hopefully he can keep scoring now. those wild golf swings with his left foot may even come off one day.

I can see him being useful in the city away game where we will have to counter well to get anything. I can see him causing their defence a few problems, lets hope so.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Surprised he was subbed today - one of those who gave a real 7/10.

His pass for Fredericks' chance was the kind of thing he'd never have done in his first three years here. He's done it a few times recently.