✍️ Welcome Michail Antonio

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

kalashnikov

Re: Michail Antonio

Post by kalashnikov »

bobd_uk wrote:The problem (for me) with Antonio up front on Saturday is that, well, he wasn't. He pulled off to the wing on every attack (as he has been trained to do for the last 15 years) leaving us with no-one central at all.
To be fair, unless he is doing this when we have the ball in the final third, this isn't really a problem. Harry Kane pulls out wide left during every counter Spurs have. It's so he gets the ball in space and run at someone.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 776 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

i think he's slav's biggest headache. he wants to build a team where the entire front four can link up together and play off each other. zero chance of that with antonio. he's a humble lad and a great bloke off the pitch, but on the pitch he's gotten both greedy in attack and lazy in defence.

without his far stick heroics, we'd be talking about him in a similar way that we do kouyate, who for all his sins, hasn't been responsible for three of our last four goals conceded.
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

Serious question. What position has he been playing? RW? Striker? Free role?

Was looking at average touch positions and passing charts against WBA and Saints. I'll let people draw their own conclusions..

Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

I don't like our reliance on him at the moment. I think it's completely unbalanced the team.

Last season we started with more orthodox wingers, and as we know Antonio came in due to injuries, and was probably initially instructed to continue that orthodox approach, however, in his own inimitable style, he managed to bring a new dimension to our play.

This season, he's being played more as a forward, and it seems we're now accommodating him just as much as we do Payet.

IMO, we need to get back to basics, and let him show his athleticism and improvisation within the more disciplined role of a traditional winger and we might see an overall improvement to the team.
OFT
Has liked: 3233 likes
Total likes: 1850 likes

Post by OFT »

Beavis Danzig wrote:i think he's slav's biggest headache. he wants to build a team where the entire front four can link up together and play off each other. zero chance of that with antonio..
I think it's been an issue for Slav for quite some time and his attempt to make a 'full back' out of him exposed this last season.
I like Antonio,I like him a lot, but, if Slav is struggling to accommodate him in his ideal line up then he should put him on the bench and pick the team that he wants and thinks can win, there's too much at stake, not least of all for Slav himself.
Pulls up Trees

Post by Pulls up Trees »

and it's not like we're running out of right wingers that could come in...!

Seriously, what does Feghouli have to do? Bet he regrets coming here now.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Pulls up Trees wrote:
Seriously, what does Feghouli have to do?
Well I guess contributing something from the bench would help. He's a good player, there's no doubting that but he hasn't really had many moments as of yet during the time he has been on the pitch. There's obviously still time though and I doubt he's regretting moving to London based on not even a quarter of a season
Pulls up Trees

Post by Pulls up Trees »

Yea Why Not wrote: Well I guess contributing something from the bench would help. He's a good player, there's no doubting that but he hasn't really had many moments as of yet during the time he has been on the pitch. There's obviously still time though and I doubt he's regretting moving to London based on not even a quarter of a season
I dunno, I'd imagine he'd be pissed off to see Tore ahead of him.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Pulls up Trees wrote:
I dunno, I'd imagine he'd be pissed off to see Tore ahead of him.
Tore is Billic's man. Feg was a well engineered free transfer. Maybe Billic wasn't overly interesting in him but he's a player so the owners wanted him in. And besides, if he's still behind Tore after how Tore played against Boro then that's simply another poor decision on Billic's growing list
wizzo_66
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Given that Feghouli didn't even get on at the weekend, I'd have thought he must have had a slight knock.

If not, he can consider himself unfortunate not to have got any minutes when Tore started.
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 878 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Antonio was a revelation last season and the way he took his opportunity when he finally got a start was fantastic. From his first appearance he played in a manner that quite simply said "drop me if you dare". Unfortunately, his progress despite being top scorer, is being hampered by being switched all over the place - I am surprised Slav hasn't given him a run out between the sticks.
His best position is as a marauding RW and when he drives forward it is a delight to watch defenders bouncing off him. If Cresswell is approaching fitness, hopefully he can return to his LB role and at least Arbeloa can cover at RB whils Byram is receiving treatment, leaving Antonio free to play in his best position.
steviob125
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by steviob125 »

Whatever position he plays, I for one will be singing Michail Antonio's name (to the tune of Paolo Di Canio)

COYI
IG8Hammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by IG8Hammer »

One of my (relatively sensible) Arsenal mates has been raving about Antonio for a while.

Easily my favourite player at the moment.

Just seen that article about him driving all the way to Birmingham to ensure a charity received his signed shirt on time. Can't remember the last time we had a more likeable personality in the team.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

IG8Hammer wrote:Can't remember the last time we had a more likeable personality in the team.
Yes you can...
SXreject

Post by SXreject »

Just read that as well...the lad has class and is a credit to his mum and west ham.

Should be given hammer of the year just for that act. Can we have a few more like him.

:crest:
Penfold711
Has liked: 2073 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by Penfold711 »

They could certainly make a documentary about him and how his hard work and attitude got him to where he is now, from lower league football to knocking on the door of the England team. He is a shining example to any youngster wanting to become a professional footballer.
Overchuffed
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Overchuffed »

Penfold711 wrote:They could certainly make a documentary about him and how his hard work and attitude got him to where he is now, from lower league football to knocking on the door of the England team. He is a shining example to any youngster wanting to become a professional footballer.
here here! -.,,,as opposed to the one they are making a film about who is an example to no one.
hammer1975
Has liked: 980 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Up front from now on please

Position is his to lose
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

Penfold711 wrote:They could certainly make a documentary about him and how his hard work and attitude got him to where he is now, from lower league football to knocking on the door of the England team. He is a shining example to any youngster wanting to become a professional footballer.
Like "The Jamie Vardy Story", except Antonio isn't a grade A Christopher Hunt.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

So powerful, but not sluggish, which, considering his size, is impressive