✍️ Welcome Michail Antonio

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Morocco Mole
Has liked: 3687 likes
Total likes: 2411 likes

Re: Michail Antonio

Post by Morocco Mole »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:I must be the only one who didn't think he played that badly

Offered by far the most attacking threat we had, and at least ran at them and got them on the back foot at times. Made some bursts from deep to relieve a bit of pressure, won a couple of corners, set up Arnoutovic for our best chance

Fancy him to score against Bournemouth (if he keeps his place, which i don't think he will)
I though he was just about our best player in the first half (not saying a lot admittedly). By no means our worst offender over the 90.

Since we’re throwing blame about, Wilshere seems to be getting a bit of a free pass on here tonight. Utter crapola I thought.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I'm struggling to remember when he last had a good 90 minutes for us .

He's hardly alone in that, but even so, when was his last match winning performance or champagne moment ?
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2487 likes
Total likes: 2711 likes

Post by sendô »

That 1-0 vs Spurs that stopped them going top?

Season before last. April I think?
e17
Has liked: 294 likes
Total likes: 979 likes

Post by e17 »

the pink palermo wrote:I'm struggling to remember when he last had a good 90 minutes for us .
How long ago since we sold Payet?
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

I think that's the real problem for Antonio, people remember when he was our main man in attack. Objectively he's so-so at the moment but compared to a year or two ago he's total ****
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

when we are a team scrambling for any hint of drive in either the chaos of slav's system or the utilitarian sludge of moyes's, antonio can have his moments. pellegrini's system makes certain demands of a player and they don't gel with antonio's skillset one bit.

he's in the same boat as kouyate for me and the right time to sell would've been in the summer.
SRXT
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by SRXT »

I only got to see the first half, but to me he was the only player out there who wasn't playing with enthusiasm and trying to give it his all. You can tell, because when he first started playing for West Ham that was one of his greatest attributes. I wanted him off after the first ten minutes, but that's not a realistic wish.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

He looked knackered in the final 20 or so. Did track back half the length of the field t stop a golden Liverpool chance.

As most say, needs to think about the game he is playing in
ShanghaiHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by ShanghaiHammer »

I am very positive about us this season - I think we can aim for top 8 - but Antonio must go.

Our improvement in form happened when he wasn't on the pitch last year.

What does he do every game:

run down the wing a few times and fall over
fall over generally
lose possession and then fall over
I can't think of anything else
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

ShanghaiHammer wrote:
run down the wing a few times and fall over
fall over generally
lose possession and then fall over
I can't think of anything else
This is it. He does try but lacks basic intelligence to doing anything than use raw power to try and smash his way through. Unfortunately that isn't working for him and hasn't done for some time now.
TommyHammer
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 575 likes

Post by TommyHammer »

Powerhouse with bundles of pace, but under a Manuel Pellegrini side you also need bundles of technical ability, which Big Mick hasn't got.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

lets be realistic with Antonio, hes not fully fit and was against Liverpool.

I am glad he at least made it onto the pitch and pt some runs in.

he will get better but he needs to track back all the time and quicker . too many times he just gave up.

a fully fit and firing Antonio is an asset but that hasn't been the case for a year. needs a run in the team to build fitness and workrate.

not the worst yesterday but not good enough for sure, yet.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

hammerman11 wrote:lets be realistic with Antonio, hes not fully fit and was against Liverpool.
I swear he hasn't been "fully fit" for about 18 months?
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

Funny this game, opinions are always varied.

I thought he did well first half too, DEFENSIVELY, same as Anderson both worked hard, tracked back unfortunately in my opinion (said this for a long time) Antonio doesn't have the finesse unfortunately, he got to the top by hard work and shear determination, that is enough for a mid to low level PL team but if we want to keep possession then he just doesn't have the ability to do that. He can get his head down and run but his ability just isn't there as a footballer.

I'd have him as a sub.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Take Payet out of Antonio's West Ham Career, and he would have been sold the season after we signed him.

I liked the fact he was raw, powerful and cumbersome in the beginning, he had certain charm that we all found endearing, but the fact is, he hasn't improved in the last 3 seasons and by all accounts he has a bit of a chip on his shoulders.

However, I do hope that now we have a decent manager, and have bought in some quality players that play in his position, that he will get his head down and work hard on his game, I hope Pellegrini can coach some footballing intelligence into him.
WickfordHammer86

Post by WickfordHammer86 »

He's definitely the new scapegoat around here, he can't catch a break.

I'll be the first to agree that technically he isn't great, a number of times in the second half he frustrated me by running into blind alleys and giving the ball away. I thought he was pretty good on the right wing in the first half.

People need to blame someone though, and it's easy to blame him. Trust the process :crest:
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

TommyHammer wrote:Powerhouse with bundles of pace, but under a Manuel Pellegrini side you also need bundles of technical ability, which Big Mick hasn't got.
The thing is, I don't think I've seen him use this pace since his first season with us. Since then he just walks around and occasionally put its a small jog - at best he will try to beat his man once a game.

Pub level technical ability and lazy. This just isn't based on yesterday.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

WickfordHammer86 wrote:He's definitely the new scapegoat around here, he can't catch a break.
scapegoat
noun 1.
a person who is blamed for the wrongdoings, mistakes, or faults of others, especially for reasons of expediency.

I can't see anyone blaming him for other peoples mistakes, merely his own, which is looking unfit for 18 months, jogging around looking disinterested until the ball comes to his feet and he wants to show everyone how good he is before losing the ball, most balls to his feet end up bouncing off his toe 5 yards in front of him.

Selfish player who even if he wanted to pass the ball to someone he probably couldn't.

We should have taken £10-15m from Palace, he got his comfortable new contract last year and now looks more interested in fashion shoots and e-sports banter with lower league footballers.
Ladzini

Post by Ladzini »

Somerset you are spot on.

Antonio had the fortune of Payet providing him with first class tracked and signed deliveries at the start of his time with us. All he had to do was bundle the ball into the net with whatever part of his body he managed, which lets not forget he actually did do a few times.

The last time Antonio had a good game for us was the 3-0 v Palace (H) which was the actual game when Payet had been outed the day before and Antonio bagged 3 assists.

He looks like a professional boxer trying to play football, no wonder he is always out of breath and is constantly getting injured.

We had some great memories but we should have flogged him to the Nigels on top of Kouyate for a combined 30m.
rzarazor

Post by rzarazor »

big fan of Antonio but he was terrible yesterday.

his game is all about strength and speed. unfortunately he struggled yesterday.

he did not win many aerial duels, he was weak going against liverpool's defence. not many can go against van dijk but antonio struggled going against trent alexander, gomez and robertson!

a few runs but kept loosing the ball in the final third.

yarmalenko came in the last 20-30 mins of the game and looked much better.