✍️ Welcome Michail Antonio

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Re: Michail Antonio

Post by Harry Hound »

Morocco Mole wrote:I'd rather have Antonio running through brick walls for 70 minutes than Carroll lumbering about throwing elbows for (if he's lucky) 90.

He was absolutely key to our victory yesterday. Chelsea's defense were petrified of him and couldn't step out from the back because of his power and pace. Some of you lot are nuts. :P
I agree mate, Antonio was also incredibly important when we beat them in the cup last time. His physical strength, speed, power and raw skill is just terrifying for defenders used to playing against more polished academy players. He doesn't need to lose any muscle, he just needs to get fitter as do most of the squad.

It's strange as when he first got into the squad he was indefatigable and I suspect he probably must have been training hard in his own time to get in the squad. No doubt the injuries haven't helped but he needs to get his fitness sorted as that is a very big part of his game and an unfit Michail Antonio is not even half the player he can be when 100% fit and motivated.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by fmgod »

He is not a very good footballer but a class athlete and sadly the English game is now built on athleticism, so he is very effective, not a dig at him as I really like him and he is a great weapon to have in the squad.
guineapig
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by guineapig »

A minority view here but I don't understand how all Antonio's admirers can go on about his athleticism and physicality. Serious questions have to be asked of a player who has to LIE DOWN after 70 minutes (and was static 10 minutes before that). My granddaughter does that when she's tired and she doesn't want to walk any more but she's only 19 months old! He's unfavourably compared to Carroll but at least Carroll's useful in defence when he has to be and he also runs well off the ball pulling defenders out of position. With Antonio he seems to have only one MO (get ball, charge) and defensively you never know what he's going to do next
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

thejackhammer wrote:Frustrating to see him delay that pass to Arnautovic. He’s better than that.
Not when he has time to think he isn't.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

I like the fear he puts in the opposition when you see him chase and win a 25-75, it's brilliant, and with Musuaku doing similar it's causing sides problems, Chelsea couldn't rest yesterday, all game they had to be aware of our speed demons.
hamstas_paradise
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by hamstas_paradise »

guineapig wrote:A minority view here but I don't understand how all Antonio's admirers can go on about his athleticism and physicality. Serious questions have to be asked of a player who has to LIE DOWN after 70 minutes (and was static 10 minutes before that). My granddaughter does that when she's tired and she doesn't want to walk any more but she's only 19 months old! He's unfavourably compared to Carroll but at least Carroll's useful in defence when he has to be and he also runs well off the ball pulling defenders out of position. With Antonio he seems to have only one MO (get ball, charge) and defensively you never know what he's going to do next

I felt that Antonio and most of the players gave 90 mins effort in the first 70 mins and had little left in the tank in the final quarter of the match. They did well to hang on. If he felt he was struggling and might become a liability it was a sensible thing to do to force a substitution and if the manager was going to make him stay on that could have been costly. Antonio was subbed, Ayew came on with fresh legs and the result says it was the right call
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

He's not long back from two layoffs and is obviously not match fit. But still put in a massive shift for us and run himself into the ground. What more can you ask (apart from maybe some better decision making when on the ball, but IMO he's still learning at the top end of the game).

Should go to Russia as an option :)
ShanghaiHammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by ShanghaiHammer »

Still a good pick because he is a good outlet and does good things, but, is easily in the top 3 stupidest's footballers I've ever seen at West Ham.

Simply cannot make a decision, can't read what's going to happen 2 seconds later, can't pass, can't shoot.

Mobility is so important and Carroll just lumbers around getting sent off, so is actually preferable to having Carroll 'kind of' on the pitch for 30 mins.

But Hernandez is much better in every way.
westhamshares
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by westhamshares »

Antonio's willingness to chase balls that he has no right to get anything out of is a joy to behold and he clearly scares the oppo's defenders - but he regularly holds various part so his body after a tussle something he wasn't doing prior to his recent injury layoffs. something is clearly wrong

likewise whereas his tank seemed to enable him to go on for 125 minutes he is clearly out of puff after the 1st half and can barely keep going in the 2nd half.- again something is clearly wrong

he also used te be willing and more importantly able to help out the defence now onc ehe lost the ball upfront there is little effort to retrieve.

I still like him as he when he has the ball its clear he is one that defenders don't know what to do with - that's because he doesn't know what hes going to do :D
hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy »

Sorry kayahammer not a snowballs chance in hell unless Klopp signs him in January!!! :lol:
Lil Joe 17
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Lil Joe 17 »

Frustrated me a lot today - am watching the game in full now and around the 60 minute mark there are two passes, one from Rice and one from Arnautovic which he doesn't make any effort to move to the ball for.

They are visibly annoyed at him as well.

What is going on with him?
aaronhammer
Has liked: 176 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Be good to see him come out for a 2nd half some time soon.

Something doesn’t look right with him though, maybe he needs a goal to put a smile on his face.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 236 likes
Total likes: 2575 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

What happened to the strong Antonio that always stayed on his feet and shrugged off opponents? He threw himself to theatrically to the floor every time he was touched yesterday, and I'm pretty certain he completely dived at one point by the touchline. I thought his theatrics yesterday were worse than Lanzinis.

On top of that, he's no striker and has not looked like scoring at all since he's been played up there. He just doesn't have the off the ball movement that a striker has. Arnie does, which is why he's getting so many more scoring opportunities.

In my opinion, he's a winger. He's not a wingback, and he's not a striker. He fits well into a 4-2-3-1 but I honestly don't think he fits the wingback system we're playing now.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2501 likes
Total likes: 4405 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The team is playing far better with Antonio up top, out of defensive harm's way.

He has good pace and is always a threat in behind. Out wide he's a vulnerability for us because of his stamina and touch issues.

Can't see much logic in tinkering with a team that's finally playing well and which appears to have a proper balance to it.

Contrary to much opinion, I think he's always had stamina issues.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

not fully fit and playing in a role that demands he does a lot of running.

goals will come but he is part of a well drilled team that are performning so I would niot change unless injured.
hammer1975
Has liked: 989 likes
Total likes: 1164 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

This may sound OTT but I think his mere presence on the pitch influences the opposition's defence in a positive way for us. We see far less of defenders joining in the midfield for long period of the games since Antonio has played a role (rather than Carroll).
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 118 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

hammer1975 wrote:This may sound OTT but I think his mere presence on the pitch influences the opposition's defence in a positive way for us. We see far less of defenders joining in the midfield for long period of the games since Antonio has played a role (rather than Carroll).
Agree with this. His presence is getting us further up the pitch.

There's still something about the fella that doesn't seem quite right though, just in terms of his demeanour (rather than fitness).
DrVenk
Has liked: 362 likes
Total likes: 469 likes

Post by DrVenk »

Backs to the wall playing counter attacking football, he is exactly the sort of player you want.

When the opposition are sitting back and we get to control the game, he is exactly the sort of player you don't want. He just doesn't read the game in the final third very well.

As for his attitude, I suspect after a bit of interest from Chelsea and a new £60,000 a week deal, he has just rested on his laurels and probably felt he was good enough to play in his preferred position rather than be shunted around.

I think Moyes will get him back up to previous standards, but I am not sure how regular he will play once we get to control games a bit more and Moyes brings in a few new faces.
Hammer83
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Hammer83 »

He doesn’t look fully fit yet but is proving a handful for the opposition he is a thorn in their side with his pace and power. I would like to see him play off Chico with arnie.
..........................Adrián....
.............Reid....Ogbonna....Cresswell..
Zabs................ ..Obiang..............Masaruku..
.............Arnie.....Lanzini....Antonio...
............................Chico.......
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

Throws his toys out of the pram when he doesn’t play where he wants. Goals have dried up which was his only worth.

Sell