Sunderland 2-2 West Ham Utd (03/10/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Re: Sunderland V West Ham: Match thread

Post by richneal »

Summary : Nicked a point, could have nicked three, could have walked away with zero. Not much else we can ask for from a game of football.

Really like the way we went for it for the last half hour so so, great to see us avoid the mediocrity and cowardice of settling for a point. Hats off to Bilic and the team for giving us what we want at the end. Who dares wins n' all that. Or at least who dares draws.

And kudos to Sunderland for being on the front foot during the first half - they looked good and played well, deserved to be leading at the half.

Lanzini looked good. Enjoyed watching him.
Amazed Noble didn't get the red, I wonder what he was thinking.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Rocketron wrote: Are you talking about the WHU fans that decided to take advantage of the free coach travel ?
Bad darts if so.
If not, whom ?
I'm talking about the idiots on the free coaches that never know how to behave at away games.

I was talking to my mates outside the ground after the game and they were playing up with the natives expecting us to bail them out.

Do yourself a favour a wind your neck in...and please don't talk to me like that.

Thank You
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Can't help but think we could have been sitting in second going into the international break. How good would that have been? I really can't see us keeping a clean sheet at Palace based on our last few performances. At least it will be a good game to watch though
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Irrons wrote:Can't help but think we could have been sitting in second going into the international break. How good would that have been? I really can't see us keeping a clean sheet at Palace based on our last few performances. At least it will be a good game to watch though
****ing cazy to think that we were one goal away from siting 2nd in the league! :o
Mr.Miklosko

Post by Mr.Miklosko »

This thread was seriously split down the middle when it came to predicting the result of Saturday's game. Those that believed we had too much for Sunderland and would easily walk away with a win, and those who suggested that all the stars were aligned for Sunderland to snatch their first win of the season.

It seems both camps were right (or wrong?) in the end I guess!

It's truly pleasing to see a West Ham side that has the quality and determination to fight back from a losing position, although I just hope we don't make a habit of doing things the hard way! We're in good shape but, draw or lose at Palace, and the media will soon turn us into "West Ham, without a win in their last four games in all comps,..."
Last edited by Mr.Miklosko on Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I didn't see a lot of the game, my stream was a bit dodgy so watched MOTD instead. As mentioned, could have lost, could have won but will take the draw considering our poor start!

I do like this Lanzini though, he uses the ball well and looks like he has a goal in him as well. He isn't frightened to move the ball and have a go. I honestly thought he would be a bit part player but now i am hoping we make the move permanent if he keeps it up!
Hampshire'ammer

Post by Hampshire'ammer »

quote]

I'm talking about the idiots on the free coaches that never know how to behave at away games.

I was talking to my mates outside the ground after the game and they were playing up with the natives expecting us to bail them out.

Do yourself a favour a wind your neck in...and please don't talk to me like that.

Thank You[/quote]

To be fair your talking about the Minority of people on the free coaches that don't know how to behave - there were 7 coaches.

No problem at all on the coach I was on.

And I don't normally go by coach - I use the train - but thought I would take advantage of the offer.
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

The difference between Allardyce and Bilic is that under big sam once we went one nil down I never ever believed we would get back into the game. We always just played the same tactics - no pressure on the ball - no matter how many goals we were behind and we never took the game to the opponent. We always seemed to be sitting back too much and were too static.

With Bilic we now know that if we go one or even two nil down all is not lost because our higher pressing and better movement naturally gets us closer to the goal leading is to create more chances and score more goals.

The other thing is that Allardyce always seemed to settle for a point ('respect the point') whereas Bilic rightly realises that a win is the same as 3 draws so why not go for the win? Surely this new mindset will earn us more points during the course of the season - it absolutely makes sense. Not once this season have I seen Bilic's team settle for the draw. It's refreshing. I mean how much more exciting has it been this season than last - I think that's all a lot of us were asking for to be honest. I mean there's not been a 0-0 or even a 1-0 in our games so far in the PL!

I think this point is a very good point for us. Make no mistake Sunderland were much much better in this game compared to their previous games. They actually played pretty well, so to get a point away here after going 2-0 down is a really positive result. We would have never have come back from 2-0 down under Allardyce's regime and just shows the positivity we now have as a squad. Just a shame we couldn't get the third goal.
gegsy
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by gegsy »

We finished the game with Zarate, Sakho, Lanzini, Payet and Jelavic on the pitch.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

gegsy wrote:We finished the game with Zarate, Sakho, Lanzini, Payet and Jelavic on the pitch.
I'd have swapped Jelavic for Julian Dicks personally :wink:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Hampshire'ammer wrote:
To be fair your talking about the Minority of people on the free coaches that don't know how to behave - there were 7 coaches.

No problem at all on the coach I was on.

And I don't normally go by coach - I use the train - but thought I would take advantage of the offer.
I must be honest mate....I hate the away games when they do the free travel. I obviously understand why people take up the offer BUT there are always a few muppets that show up just for the cheap day out.

One of the boys was sitting next to 2 girls who played candy crush for the whole match !

We like to mug off clubs like Arsenal who have muppet fans....we have to be big enough to be honest when ours are as bad.
Hampshire'ammer

Post by Hampshire'ammer »

.[/quote]

I must be honest mate....I hate the away games when they do the free travel. I obviously understand why people take up the offer BUT there are always a few muppets that show up just for the cheap day out.

One of the boys was sitting next to 2 girls who played candy crush for the whole match !

We like to mug off clubs like Arsenal who have muppet fans....we have to be big enough to be honest when ours are as bad.[/quote]

Cant argue with that I guess ........ I did see one bloke where the driver was not letting him get on to come home as he had been a ***** on the way up.

I guess the club see it as a way to shift a few tickets to a ground that we may have struggled to get many to.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Hampshire'ammer wrote:
Cant argue with that I guess ........ I did see one bloke where the driver was not letting him get on to come home as he had been a ***** on the way up.

I guess the club see it as a way to shift a few tickets to a ground that we may have struggled to get many to.
I was chatting to the Horchurch coach boys outside the ground gone 5 and there was a load of one of the clubs ones having a dig at any local that went past. It started banter but then got a little heated.

The conversation then turned to the idiots that only come on the freebies and what they would do if it got lively. They were definatly pushing it because they thought we had their back.

Just a bit sad really....always hope from more from our lot.

Compare that crowd to the one that went to Anfield.....the Mickeys were tipping their caps to us.
lake1986

Post by lake1986 »

Was on "free" coach for sunderland, TBH it wasnt that bad, no atmosphere on there but didnt expect any, no trouble either from anyone on our coach.

Romford, is the hornchurch travel/coach open to anyone? what is the costs for away games
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

I hope the newby travelling fans didnt spoil the occasion for the clubs core away following, particularly those sections that moronically cat call the home fans for 90 minutes,rarely facing the pitch.

JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

Romford wrote:
Someone should have told him we have a new manager :D
hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy »

Don't know if it's been mentioned on here but the Sunderland forum going mental about Nobes escape. Apparently it was the same ref, Swarbrick, who wrongly sent off Nobes at Anfield, a sending off which of course was rightly rescinded. And of course their forum, as ours would too, tbf, claiming that the previous mistake would have been in Swarbrick's mind when Nobes made his ill-advised challenge. Whether or not that could be true we'll never know of course but Nobes still unbelievably lucky not to get a second yellow IMO especially after their boy had gone, the old even it up malarkey!!! :crest:
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

Kevin Friend was the ref at Anfield.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

lake1986 wrote:Was on "free" coach for sunderland, TBH it wasnt that bad, no atmosphere on there but didnt expect any, no trouble either from anyone on our coach.

Romford, is the hornchurch travel/coach open to anyone? what is the costs for away games
Get in touch with Dennis....open to anyone who behaves themselves.

07703 629100

Use my name
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

Our midfield were really treading treacle for the first 35 mins and Noble has been particularly poor in the last few games. But to be honest , I expect him to make mistakes in dangerous situations, get sent off for last ditch tackles because he just hasn't got any pace. Some will say that pace isn't really required (example Fabregas and Schweinsteiger) , but the opposition have explicity keyed in on Noble's weaknesses and we will lose goals (no doubt about that). One thing Noble does have is that he keeps things ticking over , fantastic penalty taker, a big loyal heart and quite a bit of stamina (though I can run faster than him -even with plantar fascia problems). Did we make a mistake offering such a generous 5 year contract, especially to a player who is going to get progressively slower each season? Seems like a Kevin Nolan deja vu on the horizon. I also think Song is slow and prone to expensive errors, but imho he has the ability to make a killer pass and possesses more attacking flair than our captain.