Adrián San Miguel del Castillo

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: Adrián Sale's n Miguel del Castillo

Post by Puff Daddy »

Jumby wrote:We aren't going to attract anyone better at the moment so rather than continually f**king about with the goalkeeper position can't we focus elsewhere? We signed the England number one and he hasn't been better.
That is because Sully knows nothing about goalkeeping either. He just judged Hart by his leaping about his goal saving shots and decided for himself that is all you need, that is their job and what they are paid for, but it is not. The clue is in the words. 'All round goalkeeper '
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Re: Adrián San Miguel del Castillo

Post by Vienna »

His character and ability are one of our best strengths as a team, he is one of the last that needs upgrading.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Vienna wrote:His character and ability are one of our best strengths as a team, he is one of the last that needs upgrading.
Nobody doubts his character, but ability, :o ability to what ?Ability to not get his angles correct, ability to fail to use his feet, ability to not properly organise his defence? In truth, he is an ordinary goalkeeper, a bit slow off his line, who is two a penny at any league club, but who happens to be a fairly good shot stopper, just like most other goalkeepers playing at all the other 92 league clubs. That is the truth of the matter and if we want to make proper and lasting progress, he does need upgrading
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Disagree with everything you say regarding his ability, especially not being good with his feet, his agility is immense at adjusting his body and makes all sorts of saves with his feet, all round a quality keeper, not many in this league I'd replace him with. I rate him that highly, I know more than Woods that's for sure.
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

And you make out like shot stopping isn't a skill that should be admired, he consistently makes incredible saves and it's a very important part of being a top keeper.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Vienna wrote:And you make out like shot stopping isn't a skill that should be admired, he consistently makes incredible saves and it's a very important part of being a top keeper.
I don't make out anything, that is your interpretation of my post. Most goalkeepers at every one of the 92 league clubs, make incredible saves, but very often, that is due to their not properly organising their defenders and, failure to get their angles correct. As I said last night, it is not the saves goalkeepers make, that makes a stand out goalkeeper, but the shots that either go straight at them, because they have organised their defenders correctly, or they have got their angles correct. It is not the saves they make that defines a top goalkeeper, but the ones they don't, that is the difference
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Righto, it's not the saves that make a goalkeeper, I'm sure DeGea wouldn't have to pull a worldy out the bag at West Ham because his angles were correct.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Vienna wrote:Righto, it's not the saves that make a goalkeeper, I'm sure DeGea wouldn't have to pull a worldy out the bag at West Ham because his angles were correct.
Once again, you have failed to understand my post. Like about 99% of people, you admire the saves a keeper make and judge him purely on that. That is precisely what Sully saw in Joe Hart, totally overlooking everything else a keeper should do. Just about every goalkeeper on the planet is a good shot stopper, but it is all the other things I have mentioned, that set the best ones apart. De Gea is a brilliant example and this weekend, I doubt he will be called upon to make more than half a dozen saves in the entire Man U's match with Spuds, if that many and also, count the the number of times a Spurs player shoots straight at him
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Adrian is one of the most natural gk's around, goalkeepers might be good shot stoppers at the level they play, not Hart btw most go in if on target, but I reckon Adrian would have saved Payets freekick at Man Utd away, lucky De Gea had organised his defence though as it weren't an ability needed obviously.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Vienna wrote:Adrian is one of the most natural gk's around, goalkeepers might be good shot stoppers at the level they play, not Hart btw most go in if on target, but I reckon Adrian would have saved Payets freekick at Man Utd away, lucky De Gea had organised his defence though as it weren't an ability needed obviously.
He really is not, he is a bang average goalkeeper, but every goalkeeper concedes goals and most do not go in if on target. Re: Payet's cup goal at Old Trafford, neither of us know whether Adrian would have saved that, or not, but whilst dissecting individual goalkeeper errors, personally, I think David James would have saved Stephen Gerrard's last gasp FA Cup Final goal
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

He really is and Adrian would have saved Gerrards goal too, Shaka was finished by then as is Joe Hart. I will back Adrian to the hilt as being a sth for over 20 years and seeing him first hand, I think he is up there with the best we have had.
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Bernard Lama was another big favourite of mine.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Vienna wrote:Bernard Lama was another big favourite of mine.
He was a big favourite of mine too.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Lama was brilliant for us, that quarter final at Highbury, absolutely superb.

I get what you are saying, Puff, but I don't think Adrian is actually that bad with his angles, not that bad at all. Just because a keeper is forced to make a spectacular save doesn't mean they haven't got their angles right. Ultimately the best keepers are known for their wonder saves over anything else. Adrian saves a hell of a lot that he probably shouldn't have, that's what the better keepers do.
Vienna

Post by Vienna »

Jumby wrote:Lama was brilliant for us, that quarter final at Highbury, absolutely superb.

I get what you are saying, Puff, but I don't think Adrian is actually that bad with his angles, not that bad at all. Just because a keeper is forced to make a spectacular save doesn't mean they haven't got their angles right. Ultimately the best keepers are known for their wonder saves over anything else. Adrian saves a hell of a lot that he probably shouldn't have, that's what the better keepers do.
Absolutely, my main man in support of the man, the legend Adrian.
norfolk_hammer

Post by norfolk_hammer »

Playing behind this defence this year would make De Gea’s hair turn white, it just makes the keeper uncertain of anything. Having said that Adrian has made a much better job of it than Hart and would have saved the Stoke goal either first time or with his feet second time. Best keeper we’ve had since Greeno and he is a Hammer by adoption, you can tell by how he reacts that he loves the club and fans :scarfer:
Patito

Post by Patito »

I like Adrian, I think he's a good keeper for our level. Would offer him a new contract and find a cheap backup (or promote Trott, is he any good?). It's a position we need to sort early whichever way we go though.
S-H
Has liked: 5736 likes
Total likes: 9650 likes

Post by S-H »

I'd like to keep him, as a back up keeper he is superb and a vital part of the dressing room to boot, but if people were honest with themselves, they would admit we desperately need to upgrade and sign a quality keeper to take the No1 shirt.

However, Adrian will not want to play second fiddle, especially after the last two years, and we will almost certainly NOT sign a quality keeper.

It's entirely possible that our goalkeeping situation, may be even worse next year, let that sink in for a minute.

West Ham London.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 391 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

goalkeepers are judged on the mistakes they dont make .
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

chigwells finest wrote:goalkeepers are judged on the mistakes they dont make .
Lloris and Cech are f**ked then!