Adrián San Miguel del Castillo

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

PrinceH

Re: Adrián San Miguel del Castillo

Post by PrinceH »

... should play.
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Rio wrote:Were missing his distribution as much as anything at the moment.
This more than anything, it was a MASSIVE part of our game.
Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by Dwight1970 »

I think as someone as already mentioned a good summary of the pair that Adrian is a proactive keeper and Randolph is passive, therefore Adrian style is more risky and will led to the odd costly mistake but equally it will produce saves or clearances that he would never have been in a position to do had he remained static like Randolph does who simply seems to focus on dealing shots on his goal and little else as a keeper.

On the face of it, it might be reasonable to say the keeper had no chance with but sometimes when it keeps happening you have to question his place in the side when he keeps having no chance and ask whether there is more that he should doing to prevent goals as you would if he was making glaring errors that were costing us goals.

In my opinion Randolph is not good enough to be a Premier League number one and some might also argue neither is Adrian but for me he is the better of the two and we simply weaken our side by playing Randolph instead of him.
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

I met Adrian at the reservation centre. Seemed to be a top bloke. It was just after winning at Arsenal and I said he was Motm. He was very grateful for that and gave me a man hug.
I became slightly aroused. pardon?
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4294 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

The goals conceded by the team is now virtually indistinguishable between Adrian and Randolph - in fact it's identical to one decimal point.

Adrian makes (in absolute terms) 40% more short passes, delivers the same percentage of accurate LBs (his were to Zaza/Randy's are to Carroll), thirteen per cent more saves overall, ten per cent more in the penalty box and three times as many in the six yard box.

(Caveat: no idea what the saves:shots ratios are)

His rickets were a problem, but Randolph certainly isn't the answer.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I really do believe Randolph is one of the biggest reasons for our woes. I find it astonishing he's been given this long since Adrian was ousted vs Stoke (a game we still drew). After the season we had last year, I just don't get Bilics thinking for being so loyal to Randolph.

Adrian has to be reinstated and it should have been done a while ago.
Czech Hammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Czech Hammer »

Makes me wonder if he hasn't rubbed Bilic or another member of the Croatian mafia up the wrong way.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

If we go down Randolph will no doubt enter the McKnight hall of shame, he's as unconvincing now.

Big Aidy is what we need.
brooking_1980
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

Can't but help think there's something surrounding Adrian contract that means he's not getting picked ? His contract ends this summer and so maybe the thinking is, lets let his contract run down, no transfer fee coming ? Also, Randy playing puts him in the shop window, so there could be a (higher) transfer fee coming ?

I do believe there is some slight influence, coming from the Board, as regards Team selection.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:I met Adrian at the reservation centre. Seemed to be a top bloke. It was just after winning at Arsenal and I said he was Motm. He was very grateful for that and gave me a man hug.
I became slightly aroused. pardon?
I was sat next to his family (father and brothers / cousins) at the Juventus game and they were lovely people, great fans and really loved WHU. It's such a pity what's happened with Adrian a he's a player who plays from the heart and I'll never forget his performance and winning penalty a couple of seasons ago against Everton in the league cup.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Slav needs to change things around for the next two games . I hope adrian gets his chance and plays a blinder against arsenal. You can see him having one of his unbelievable days to earn us a point. With Randolph I see only a 4-0 defeat.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Ever since the 5-1 drubbing at home to Arsenal Randoplh ( he should have saved at least 2 of those )
has been at fault for about 8 to 10 goals.

That has cost us dearly and we have lost games we were winning or drawing because of it. ( all imo )

Come on Slav give Adrian another go.
wildkard
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by wildkard »

Nothing wrong with dropping your no 1 after a couple of clangers. However, to persist with his replacement for so long, even though said replacement is clearly not up to the job, is complete madness.

I'd go so far to say that Randolph has been at fault, or at the very least could've done better, for minimum one goal per game in all the games we have lost with him in goal.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

We need leaders and players with heart. Adrian gives us that. Randolph is too quiet and not forceful enough.

Time for the spanish bull to return

He would whip up the crowd with his return and be more vocal in his box. He could be the injection our defence need.

Got dopped deservedly at the start of the season as he made a few clangers. Randolph is making mistakes most games but are not so noticeable in that sometimes he doesnt move for shots enough.

Adrian in now slav.
OFT
Has liked: 2998 likes
Total likes: 1759 likes

Post by OFT »

As someone else said, Which of these two plays is hardly our greatest problem but I do think sometimes it's necessary to change things around just to freshen things up. I really hope there's no 'issue' between Slav and Adrian but even if there is Slav needs to put the lad in. What's there to lose?
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

ive had enough of randolph now - get Adrian back in
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

In Seville talking to some Betis fans last night and he is highly regarded here. The 3 or 4 I spoke to say he is a good keeper and do not understand how he is not in the West Ham team.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:ive had enough of randolph now - get Adrian back in
what has randolph done wrong?

our utter inept defensive displays are nothing to do with him, had adrian been between the sticks, i dont think results would have been any different
NW5hammer

Post by NW5hammer »

Don't think it'll make any difference. Not good to keep changing keepers but seeing as how our defence is such a mess, it can't make things worse. Not sure our defensive woes are much to do with Randolph. Neither he nor Adrian were ever 'commanding' or the sort of keepers who organise a defence. Happy to give Adrian a go. A good early save from him might cheer everyone up!
FlorinHammer

Post by FlorinHammer »

frankiemac wrote: our utter inept defensive displays are nothing to do with him, had adrian been between the sticks, i dont think results would have been any different
I don't think theres much to call between them.
But I think the reason there is so much debate is just natural speculation - results most likely wouldn't have been any different, but there's obviously no way of knowing.

I think the logic behind most of the thinking is that there are 3 scenarios:
A) results could have been exactly the same
B) Adrian could have been worse than Randolph over the last few games and conceded more
C) Adrian could have been better than Randolph over the last few games and conceded less

Now, given our run - lets say the last 5 games W0 D1 L4 and take shots on target - assuming that the shots he has to face is a product of our defence's ability:
Hull - scored 2 and had 3 shots on target to face
Leicester - scored 3 and 5 shots on target to face
Bournemouth - scored 3 and 9 shots on target to face
Chelsea - scored 2 and 4 shots on target to face
Watford - scored 1 and 1 shot on target to face

Given I (and most, regardless of your opinion of who is better) would say Adrian is a Premier League level keeper, it's unlikely that he would have significantly conceded any more goals than Randolph.
In the Watford game he physically couldn't unless he has an absolute meltdown and throws the ball into his own net, as Randolph conceded from the only shot (penalty). If he conceded more than Randolph at Hull, Leicester or Chelsea, then he would have conceded 75% or more (100% against Hull) of the shots he faced - now whilst this is clearly a possibility, as a Premier League goalkeeper and given previous performances over the last few years, you would have to imagine that it is an unlikely event to continually concede that high a level.
So if you look at the last 5 games, given the shots he's had to face and Adrian's ability level, you would have to imagine that at the very least he would be able to replicate Randolph's current form as it's unlikely that he would have done any worse. So that rules out option B, and leaves A and C, that he's either the same or better.

Therefore while I don't think Randolph has done anything especially wrong or been THAT bad, if you look at it from statistics/likelihood, we may as well change for Adrian, as looking at the record of the last few games it's difficult to see how he could be significantly worse (touchwood/jinx!!), but theres always the possibility that he could be better. It MAY not make any difference, but I think there's not much to lose in terms of conceding more, but there's the potential to gain by him conceding less.