Adrián San Miguel del Castillo

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

Clucking Bell
Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!
Has liked: 119 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Re: Adrián San Miguel del Castillo

Post by Clucking Bell »

As 'the next level' in goalkeeping terms is someone like Pickford, that is, someone for whom the owners would have to pay thirty million quid, I think it's reasonably safe to say we'll have keepers like Adrian and Hart for the foreseeable.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

Pickford? Conceded tons last season, made quite a few mistakes as well, Pickford has proven nothing at this point, Adrian and Hart are far more proven, just because he is young English and high priced means diddly squat. In fact last season he made the joint second highest mistakes leading to goals after Randolph :lol:
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

If Pickford was Romanian, and of the same ability, you could get him for a million or two.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Bentley would have been a better understudy to Adrian but might of cost a couple of million. As shown, unless it's signing that he can massage his massive ego with, Sullivan is not interested in spending any sort of money on GKs in his true cost of everything, value of nothing stylee
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

We would have let in 6 or 7 against Bournemouth if it weren't for Adrian and thankfully the away support showed there thanks to him.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

Thinks he's Pat Jennings now, must admit I was astounded and impressed in equal quantities
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

Kialos wrote:Bentley would have been a better understudy to Adrian but might of cost a couple of million. As shown, unless it's signing that he can massage his massive ego with, Sullivan is not interested in spending any sort of money on GKs in his true cost of everything, value of nothing stylee
This is what i dont understand though. We will have paid Hart approx 4.5 million in wages by the end of the season and he'll be gone. Loans are not the answer as they don't allow any foundation to be built. Just stop gaps (and some unnecessary) Sullivan needs to get the idea that loans are the answer. We are not Birmingham City and apparently he's here for the long haul, if he is he needs to start acting like it.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

StackerJJ wrote:This is what i dont understand though. We will have paid Hart approx 4.5 million in wages by the end of the season and he'll be gone. Loans are not the answer as they don't allow any foundation to be built. Just stop gaps (and some unnecessary) Sullivan needs to get the idea that loans are the answer. We are not Birmingham City and apparently he's here for the long haul, if he is he needs to start acting like it.
The last loan we did that worked out was Lanzini... he went on to become a permanent fixture in the team. The rest didn't and it was actually a blessing that they were able to leave without doing more financial damage than they did.

Hart was not an unnecessary signing by any stretch of the imagination. Adrian spent half of last season warming the bench while Randolph was our number 1. We went into the summer with big question marks over him and needing a number 1 keeper - so we went and got Englands number 1. That Adrian has rediscovered some form under Moyes and despite a few soft goals in general been good is a good thing for us right now.

If Hart can re-establish himself into the team then that may turn into a permanent deal - like our last successful loan deal. If he doesn't than we've probably saved a lot of money on a transfer fee plus a 5 year contract at 4.5 mil a year.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

loved the fact he ran the length of the pitch to celebrate the goal last night
Suicyde

Post by Suicyde »

Anyone got the vid/gif of that. Saw it on the stream, Moyes was going mad trying to get them all back wasn't he?
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

westlondonhammer wrote: The last loan we did that worked out was Lanzini... he went on to become a permanent fixture in the team. The rest didn't and it was actually a blessing that they were able to leave without doing more financial damage than they did.

Hart was not an unnecessary signing by any stretch of the imagination. Adrian spent half of last season warming the bench while Randolph was our number 1. We went into the summer with big question marks over him and needing a number 1 keeper - so we went and got Englands number 1. That Adrian has rediscovered some form under Moyes and despite a few soft goals in general been good is a good thing for us right now.

If Hart can re-establish himself into the team then that may turn into a permanent deal - like our last successful loan deal. If he doesn't than we've probably saved a lot of money on a transfer fee plus a 5 year contract at 4.5 mil a year.
Think if we would have looked for the "cheaper" loan option though and actually signed a player the manager wanted and was allowed to sign. Not just freebies and loans. We have had some loans that didnt work and we have had many that have worked in my opinion but the ones that did work what benefit did we get from them the following season?? Zero because they left pretty much.

Moses was okay, Jenkinson (first time) was okay, Song was okay, Lanzini as you mentioned was okay.. in my opinion. But just imagine if we had just singed a forward (for example) rather than loans for Zaza, Emineke, Calleri etc etc, someone who could have bedded into the team.

And Hart was unnecessary in the sense Bilic (i believe) would have rather used that money in other positions which we needed. 100 grand a week and potentially losing not only hart after one year but our number 1 goalkeeper would have meant at the end of the season we are now looking for 2 goalkeepers as opposed to maybe 1 reserve keeper all for a loan makes him unnecessary.
westlondonhammer

StackerJJ wrote:Think if we would have looked for the "cheaper" loan option though and actually signed a player the manager wanted and was allowed to sign. Not just freebies and loans. We have had some loans that didnt work and we have had many that have worked in my opinion but the ones that did work what benefit did we get from them the following season?? Zero because they left pretty much.

Moses was okay, Jenkinson (first time) was okay, Song was okay, Lanzini as you mentioned was okay.. in my opinion. But just imagine if we had just singed a forward (for example) rather than loans for Zaza, Emineke, Calleri etc etc, someone who could have bedded into the team.

And Hart was unnecessary in the sense Bilic (i believe) would have rather used that money in other positions which we needed. 100 grand a week and potentially losing not only hart after one year but our number 1 goalkeeper would have meant at the end of the season we are now looking for 2 goalkeepers as opposed to maybe 1 reserve keeper all for a loan makes him unnecessary.
Why look for a cheaper option when you can have Englands number 1? One minute you are saying Hart is a cheap option and then he was too expensive... I'm confused?

Has Bilic ever said he didn't want Hart? He played him a lot considering he didn't want him... he must have wanted Adrian less? Who wasn't he allowed to sign?

So bar Lanzini, the only loan that worked that didn't benefit us the next season was Moses (as we did have Song and Jenkinson the second season which didn't work out)?

Singing a forward? I do believe we tried and we have quite a few forwards on our books. Imagine paying 20 million for Zaza for him to have flopped the way he did on a permanent contract. That is what you should be comparing his loan signing to not some unnamed other striker who didn't come.

I don't think we should speculate as to what was in Bilic's mind...
StackerJJ

Post by StackerJJ »

westlondonhammer wrote: Why look for a cheaper option when you can have Englands number 1? One minute you are saying Hart is a cheap option and then he was too expensive... I'm confused?

Has Bilic ever said he didn't want Hart? He played him a lot considering he didn't want him... he must have wanted Adrian less? Who wasn't he allowed to sign?

So bar Lanzini, the only loan that worked that didn't benefit us the next season was Moses (as we did have Song and Jenkinson the second season which didn't work out)?

Singing a forward? I do believe we tried and we have quite a few forwards on our books. Imagine paying 20 million for Zaza for him to have flopped the way he did on a permanent contract. That is what you should be comparing his loan signing to not some unnamed other striker who didn't come.

I don't think we should speculate as to what was in Bilic's mind...
Thats not what i was saying in reference to Hart, we didnt lay any money down for Hart, he just adds to the wage bill and was withing our FFP wage budget. I was saying we could have better spent the money (wages) in a transfer fee as opposed to wages on a player in a position we actually needed and would have made a difference. Hart made Zero difference to us Englands number one or not, Randolph is Irelands number one and they did better than England in the last tournament so does that make him better?? I think not.

A loan is less risk for Sullivan but more risky for the squad and the harmony and foundation of the team in my opinion. Why do Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal, Man United, Man City, Liverpool not look for loans every season? Even teams like Everton, Southampton (who have been alot more consistent than us over the last few year) not look to loans as the answer?? I know Southampton are struggling now but they have sold every one of their best players for the past 5 seasons i think and still out performed us.

I can imagine if we had spent 20 million on Zaza and given him a proper chance to settled and he scored 10 league goals for us this year and we would be in 7th rather than 16th.. Its easier to imagine that than so have him hit the ground running in his first 10 games or not play him again so we dont have to pay the fee!!!
westlondonhammer

StackerJJ wrote:Thats not what i was saying in reference to Hart, we didnt lay any money down for Hart, he just adds to the wage bill and was withing our FFP wage budget. I was saying we could have better spent the money (wages) in a transfer fee as opposed to wages on a player in a position we actually needed and would have made a difference. Hart made Zero difference to us Englands number one or not, Randolph is Irelands number one and they did better than England in the last tournament so does that make him better?? I think not.

A loan is less risk for Sullivan but more risky for the squad and the harmony and foundation of the team in my opinion. Why do Chelsea, Tottenham, Arsenal, Man United, Man City, Liverpool not look for loans every season? Even teams like Everton, Southampton (who have been alot more consistent than us over the last few year) not look to loans as the answer?? I know Southampton are struggling now but they have sold every one of their best players for the past 5 seasons i think and still out performed us.

I can imagine if we had spent 20 million on Zaza and given him a proper chance to settled and he scored 10 league goals for us this year and we would be in 7th rather than 16th.. Its easier to imagine that than so have him hit the ground running in his first 10 games or not play him again so we dont have to pay the fee!!!
There are about 20 places separating England and Ireland in the rankings... however, I don't see how that is relevant on judging the players. Hart is better than Randolph as his is Adrian (in terms of ability). Which mystery player was we going to sign instead of Hart? Who was going to play in goal had Adrian replicated last seasons poor form? Ultimately we needed a keeper, went out and got the best one we could on the only deal we could... it's as simple as that I'd say. That it hasn't worked out as well as we hoped doesn't make the initial signing incorrect.

Everton's best player over the last 5 years started as a loan signing who (like ours) turned into a permanent transfer. The bigger clubs have more money to risk than we do.

We can't re-write history with Zaza as much as we want to. There was nothing in him to suggest he'd be a 20 goal a season striker in the Prem. Then again we can make anything up and ignore what actually happened to support a prediction.
sharphammer

Post by sharphammer »

the most underrated keeper in the premier league, bar none
Junco Partner
Location: Paquetta, he's played it through...and Bowen's in...ITS UP FOR GRABS NOW!"
Has liked: 553 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Junco Partner »

I liked it when he punched Ali 8-)
Joyeux Marteau
Has liked: 83 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by Joyeux Marteau »

His reaction when the goal went in, you can't buy that!

We NEED to extend his contract, he is West Ham through and through.

Love the guy.

:scarfer:
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Junco Partner wrote:I liked it when he punched Ali 8-)
Rocky style Yo Adrian :D
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

sharphammer wrote:the most underrated keeper in the premier league, bar none
:thup:

Sooner we give him a new contract the better.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

The best in the league, after De Gea, I'll always stand by that. The best value for money signing the club has ever made.

I never got to see Phil Parkes, I was scarred by McKnight, although I felt sorry for him. Ludo was a hero to me but I've never seen a keeper as consistently brilliant for us as Adrian, and Robert Green, Shaka Hislop (first spell), and David James were very good in a Hammers goalie top. Special mention for Bernard Lama too, he was class.