Adrián San Miguel del Castillo

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Re: Adrián San Miguel del Castillo

Post by hammerman11 »

Put him behind a decent defence and he will be fine. he made it into the Spanish squad a few years back when reid and ogbonna were superb.

sort out RB CB and def midfield and he will improve greatly.

Adrian to start as number one next season for me.
kevino
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by kevino »

Anyone see him on that MOTD feature in Saturday about the Old Irons club? He genuinely seems to love West Ham and it would be a great shame to see him go. Despite a few mistakes, (which keeper doesn't make mistakes?) I think he is a decent keeper and could still do a job for us behind a good defence, as has been mentioned on here. I think our priorities should lie elsewhere in terms of getting some decent players in.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Nobody disputes he loves the club, is a nice bloke, a top bloke, a good bloke, but for all these attributes, he remains a bog average goalkeeper. One of a huge number of goalkeepers in the game who are just mere shot stoppers. The coming months give us an opportunity to appraise the squad, re-assess and analyse what is needed to improve, or to decide if we merely just want to stand still, whilst a few more clubs overtake us, or leave things to chance, or move up and improve. If we assess our needs on him just being a great bloke, it's the former, but if it is latter, we should look for better
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

Puff Daddy wrote:. The coming months give us an opportunity to appraise the squad, re-assess and analyse what is needed to improve, or to decide if we merely just want to stand still, whilst a few more clubs overtake us, or leave things to chance, or move up and improve. If we assess our needs on him just being a great bloke, it's the former, but if it is latter, we should look for better
"us"? "we"? Unfortunately it is not us or we making the decisions. Why will GSB choose to do anything different? Adrian can make his own mind up about whether he wants to stay after the last two years treatment!
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Claret&Blue,Thru& wrote:
"us"? "we"? Unfortunately it is not us or we making the decisions. Why will GSB choose to do anything different? Adrian can make his own mind up about whether he wants to stay after the last two years treatment!
In case there can be any doubt, I use the noun, us', to presume the club itself and I thought most people would conclude that meaning. i am in agreement with you that Adrian may well make up his own mind
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

People are talking about spending 35m on Jack Butland, who makes as many mistakes, if not more, than Adrian and is about on the same level as our man. We wouldn't spend that anyway but if we were looking to invest that money in the team it is far better spent on other areas of the pitch. We just need a decent, younger, deputy.
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

Code: Select all

h. We just need a decent, younger, deputy.

you have him already nathan trott
Hammersfaniow
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Hammersfaniow »

I think Adrian is a perfectly able No.2 for us, but the question is, who is better than him that we can realistically get who would want to come to us and for what we’d be willing to pay ? I’d be more happy if we improve the defence dramatically and keep Adrian still as No.1
Adam 'The Smudge'

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

Puff Daddy wrote:Nobody disputes he loves the club, is a nice bloke, a top bloke, a good bloke, but for all these attributes, he remains a bog average goalkeeper. One of a huge number of goalkeepers in the game who are just mere shot stoppers. The coming months give us an opportunity to appraise the squad, re-assess and analyse what is needed to improve, or to decide if we merely just want to stand still, whilst a few more clubs overtake us, or leave things to chance, or move up and improve. If we assess our needs on him just being a great bloke, it's the former, but if it is latter, we should look for better
Puff, you make the type of points that I agree with but many loathe.
I don't understand the "he get's us", "he's west ham", "he's one of us" tripe peddled by many.
For me its about substance and my phrases can be attributed to so many who have failed to carry this club forward.
I don't give a **** if they're "nice blokes", or "proper west ham" its about having people who make an impact.
Of course, if they've earnt their corn and have become ingrained in the "west ham way" then that is great.
James Collins has substance and has earnt his, and seems to have become entwined in the fabric of our club. That's marvellous!!
However, I'm afraid there are too many players who I'd be thanking but moving on this summer in a bid to improve. That says enough about where we are at the moment.
As for a manager.......who are we to expect somebody of high regard to come to our rescue?
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 1307 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Said it before and I'll say it again, there are far more crucial recruitment needs to deal with ahead of a new keeper. We're clearly going to have finite funds again. Deal with centre midfield, and centre back, then right back (Zabaleta can't keep going until the end of next season). Then that's not even including when we lose Hernandez, and probably Hugill.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Is Adrian's deal up at the end of the season?

I don't mind him personally, i accept there are better keepers but i do think he is good enough. We have more urgency to upgrade other areas of the squad first so if he is still with us i wouldn't mind him staying number 1. If it comes to it and we have strengthened other areas and have enough leftover (which i very much doubt) then fine, get an upgrade.

I would much rather keep him however if possible as we have so many players that need replacing that i fear our squad will be lacking again next summer regardless.
ToiletDuck
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by ToiletDuck »

I agree with the sort the defence and midfield and the keeper improves itself

The lack of forwards made our defence and keeper situation worse as we had no offensive outlet meaning our midfield was overun and our defense under the cosh.
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by swash »

Stick

Good enough for us, and at least has a bit of passion.

Bigger priorities on which to spend our no doubt inadequate budget
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 472 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Adrian is perfectly able for a club with our level of ambition.

If he stopped charging out of his goal his game would improve immeadiately.

Didn't have much to do on Saturday and still ended up charging towards the corner flag when it wasn't needed.
claretandblue82
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by claretandblue82 »

How highly regarded is Trott? Doubt he's ready for 1st choice but would he be a decent back up with the odd cup game thrown in for experience?
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by swash »

Be interesting to see what happens if we go into the season with a clear first choice keeper (Adrian) and a young back up (Trott), as the alternative for the last 2 seasons with two keepers vying for the jersey seems to if anything have produced worse results, rather than bringing out better performances.
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

Absolute class keeper, if only we realised what we have on our hands.
Rocket
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Rocket »

Made a number of great saves tonight. :thup:
Hammersfaniow
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Hammersfaniow »

Said it before and I’ll say it again, if we spend wisely enough on the defence, which I think is where the bigger problem lies, Adrian is perfectly capable of being our No 1 for a couple more seasons yet.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 511 likes
Total likes: 1307 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

It shouldn’t even be up for discussion. He’s our number one next season.