Adrián San Miguel del Castillo

A selection of the very best posts and/or most memorable threads on KUMB since the current Forum launched in 2002.

Moderator: Gnome

hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1089 likes

Re: Adrián San Miguel del Castillo

Post by hammer1975 »

wizzo_66 wrote:We would have another 3 points in the bag had this man played yesterday.
Agree. They have different strengths but Adrian would have shut Chadli's shot down as he'd have been off his line. No idea what Randolph was doing for the second but would have been hard for Adrian to do worse.
MD_HM
Has liked: 37 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

I'm not sure it was a priority in the summer as up until Adrian's couple of mistakes early on he was firmly considered first choice and I would have seen plenty of other positions needed filling first

Adrian is good enough to achieve 7th place or a cup run, which without investment is probably the best we can hope for

However Randolph is more of a bottom half of the table, top half of the championship type of keeper
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

There are a small clutch of teams who concede a lot more goals relative to the number of shots they allow the opposition.

The top five for that are Liverpool, Man City, Palace, Bournemouth and us.

All these teams seem to have error riddled defences or iffy 'keepers, or both.

Randolph doesn't seem to make the conspicuous rush of blood howlers that Adrian occasionally does, but he doesn't stop the shots that Adrian would.

I do think Randolph has played behind a better defensive unit with Obiang, Cresswell, Carroll in the main.
ihateroeder
Has liked: 32 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by ihateroeder »

I still don't fully understand why he was dropped? Does slav read kumb?
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

wizzo_66 wrote:We would have another 3 points in the bag had this man played yesterday.
Absolutely nothing id seen of Adrian this season to suggest that you are right. His decision making is on par with Randy. Nothing between the two keepers. Adrian had the jersey for the last few years. Time for Randolph to have the same unless a world class keeper becomes available and we can get him.
brooking_1980
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

As someone said somewhere, we have got 2 great reserve keepers.

The Board operate a "Minimalist Spend" designed to spend the least amount, and not get relegated. There is no way they would bring Hart in on £ 200k/week (or anywhere near it), let's face it, why would they, its not going to generate the revenues to pay for it, we wouldn't if it was our business.

Having said that, they're both International goalies, so probably not the worst example of the Daves work.
Stevey
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Stevey »

One of Adrian's biggest strengths is his ability to save with his feet. Chadli's shot wouldn't have gone through his legs. I'm certain of that.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

I've always maintained that Adrian was the far better keeper of the two, but tbf Randy has been playing well and Adrian took a dip. Maybe there's something going on with him in training but if not I think it's time to recall him.
westlondonhammer
Has liked: 1049 likes
Total likes: 1331 likes

Post by westlondonhammer »

ihateroeder wrote:I still don't fully understand why he was dropped? Does slav read kumb?
Probably does the irresponsible thing of making decisions based on what he sees in training, the players attitude and how he interacts with the rest of the team...rubbish like that. He should just pick the team on what people on kumb say

My guess is Adrian hasn't taken to being benched well...he's gone from being a big vocal supporter of the club on Twitter to not bothered...a stark contrast.

I'm not convinced he'd have made much difference yesterday, it's likely he would have made the same errors or at least similar ones.

Results with Randolph in the team have been much better...misjudging a corner isn't enough to get dropped
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

I'd say Randolph is marginally better, but the defence as a whole have been better with Randy as opposed to Adrian. Theres been shaky moments all over but it was a shambles at the start of the season. We could do with an upgrade, for sure.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Lincolnhammer92 wrote:I'd say Randolph is marginally better, but the defence as a whole have been better with Randy as opposed to Adrian. Theres been shaky moments all over but it was a shambles at the start of the season. We could do with an upgrade, for sure.
In a nut shell
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Adrian is a better all round keeper than Randolph, but ..... is a bottle job. As soon as there is an outside chance of getting hurt he either overreacts or just goes to pieces.

Randoplh is a bit of a tough but but lacks some of Adrans' ability. AS been mentioned aeralier, we have two great reserve keepers. Could be solved though if Adrian grew a set.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

GaryP wrote:Adrian is a better all round keeper than Randolph, but ..... is a bottle job. As soon as there is an outside chance of getting hurt he either overreacts or just goes to pieces.

Randoplh is a bit of a tough but but lacks some of Adrans' ability. AS been mentioned aeralier, we have two great reserve keepers. Could be solved though if Adrian grew a set.
To be a top half quality first choice keeper Adrian would need a new brain
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Lincolnhammer92 wrote:I'd say Randolph is marginally better, but the defence as a whole have been better with Randy as opposed to Adrian. Theres been shaky moments all over but it was a shambles at the start of the season. We could do with an upgrade, for sure.
Trouble is Bilic said he has two great goalkeepers so don't hold your breath hoping an upgrade will be bought.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Stevey wrote:One of Adrian's biggest strengths is his ability to save with his feet. Chadli's shot wouldn't have gone through his legs. I'm certain of that.
For me that is what made Adrian stand out, his ability to use his body to stop the ball, like a proper keeper should.

I used to play in goal as a kid and saved loads with me legs and feet and managers and teammates used to whine saying I needed to use my hands, it completely put me off goalkeeping as I thought the aim was to keep the ball out and if someone is pelting one at you from 5-10 yards out it's best to use the closest part of your body to the ball. Then I watched Buffon at 17 makes save after save with his feet and knew that these pricks were talking sh*t!
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Yea Why Not wrote:To be a top half quality first choice keeper Adrian would need a new brain
He's been a first choice keeper for top 7 clubs in both Spain and England,

His mistakes are simply more conspicuous than Randolph's. Randolph lets in shots a bigger keeper would save.

Adrian is far more likely to make a save that I think he has no right to save.
Yea Why Not

Post by Yea Why Not »

bubbles1966 wrote:
He's been a first choice keeper for top 7 clubs in both Spain and England,

His mistakes are simply more conspicuous than Randolph's. Randolph lets in shots a bigger keeper would save.

Adrian is far more likely to make a save that I think he has no right to save.
He's been a first choice keeper yeah but end of the day we signed him for peanuts and are going to let him leave on a free by the looks of it. He's simply too erratic to be a top level keeper and Randolph would be the better reserve keeper imo as he is the steadier of the two. Our defence without question look better with him behind them
Last edited by Yea Why Not on Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the bubble hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by the bubble hammer »

Lincolnhammer92 wrote:I'd say Randolph is marginally better, but the defence as a whole have been better with Randy as opposed to Adrian.
Arguably though the common denomination could have been moving Antonio away from defence rather than dropping Adrian
Adam 'The Smudge'

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

I think if David Seaman had played behind a West Ham defence his entire career he'd have done well for an International call up.
We've never had a top notch back line in the 40 years I can remember so our goalies will be exposed more than the top sides.
Adrians temperament for me is not as good as Randolph who looks very composed.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Two absolute classics of the already well-established Randolph 'not 100% sure but probably should have done better there, right?' genre.