Adrián San Miguel del Castillo

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Adrián San Miguel del Castillo

Postby Pob! on Tue May 15, 2018 1:25 pm

Give him a year extension..
Pob!

Postby Claret&Blue,Thru& on Tue May 15, 2018 1:37 pm

Would you want to stay if players like Joe Hart & Randolph were constantly being preferred to you (and you could get good pay somewhere in the sun)?
Claret&Blue,Thru&

Postby sendô on Tue May 15, 2018 2:17 pm

warp wrote:he was dropped for hart before he even put on the shirt. call that "rightfully"!

It was rightfully.

Adrian deserved to be dropped for Randolph when he was. In fact it was overdue.

Adrian could then consider himself lucky to get the shirt back, by virtue of Randolph making even more mistakes than he did.

The club then sought to redress the keeper issue by signing Hart - now whether Hart was the right man was open to debate then, and with hindsight probably wasn't, but he was free and we all know Sully likes those prices - and it was only right that the previously poor Adrian was dropped for the new signing. Then again Adrian was fortunate to win back his place after Harts poor form, and of course Hart being ineligible vs Man City.

The second time he was dropped was after we were thrashed by both Liverpool and Swansea 4-1, and Adrian being at fault for at least one at Liverpool.

The reality is Randolph and Hart have been no better than Adrian, but Adrian is error prone and liable to make rash decisions. He's not the panacea of goalkeeping wonderment some make him out to be.
sendô

Postby Graza on Tue May 15, 2018 2:24 pm

All 3 of our keepers have suffered from an ever changing and inconsistent at best back line. A more settled and consistent back 4/5 with proper midfielder backup would have created a far easier work environment for them.

Of the 3 Adrian has been the pick of the litter. He is a good shot stopper, decent in the air and is OK for distribution. His major flaw is the occasional rush of blood where he decides he can get a ball (or decides too late).

If he's in goal next year I wouldn't be upset at all. If he were to leave we'd have better sourced an upgrade well in advance.
Graza

Postby warp on Tue May 15, 2018 3:03 pm

sendô wrote:but he was free and we all know Sully likes those prices

like **** he was free!

sendô wrote:and it was only right that the previously poor Adrian was dropped for the new signing.

short memories again: the "poor adrian" had a very good ending of the previous season.
and if you think a loanee should walk in the starting 11 from day 1, fair enough.
why should they earn they shirt like everyone else?

sendô wrote:now whether Hart was the right man was open to debate then, and with hindsight probably wasn't
sendô wrote:The reality is Randolph and Hart have been no better than Adrian

need any more euphemisms?
they were ****, and hart turned out to be a retarded decision.

sendô wrote:but Adrian is error prone and liable to make rash decisions.

he definitely is. should we try cresswell in goal?
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby sendô on Tue May 15, 2018 3:33 pm

No, we should try to sign a new keeper. :)
sendô

Postby warp on Tue May 15, 2018 3:38 pm

they just tried spending money on a keeper and it failed miserably.

so they either spend more, or nothing.

guess the odds!
warp

Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Postby Beavis Danzig on Tue May 15, 2018 6:59 pm

someone on reddit ranked all the goalies in the prem based on save percentage:

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comment ... d_by_save/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

adrian is #4 with 70%

joe hart is #28 with 58%
Beavis Danzig

Postby Vienna on Tue May 15, 2018 8:44 pm

I think he was number 1 on that list in our last season at the Boleyn, the guy is quality and has been treated dreadfully by this club.
Vienna

Postby mickthekeeper on Tue May 15, 2018 9:16 pm

We have bigger issues to fix than replacing Adrian.

At the time, we’d lost our backup keeper and needed a good keeper to push him to produce the form that got him called up to the Spain squad. As previously mentioned; whether Hart was the way to do that (which proved a bad decision) or a younger, eager understudy that was being groomed to replace him in the long run could have had the same result - we’ll never know on the second option. Better still invest in the defence and remove a significant number of the work he has to do

Either way, I think his main issue was complacency which meant he lost concentration which resulted in errors. (Leaving aside that his replacements ****ed up more without being replaced sooner)

Go with options two and three means we spend money in more suitable places and build for the future while pushing Adrian to maintain his work rate and concentration levels.
mickthekeeper

Postby Westbourne Bill on Tue May 15, 2018 9:21 pm

Randolph has been excellent tonight for Boro FWIW but Heston at £10m would be an upgrade on Adrian IMO
Westbourne Bill

Postby bubbles1966 on Tue May 15, 2018 9:31 pm

Westbourne Bill wrote:but Heston at £10m would be an upgrade on Adrian IMO

Does he play for Charlton?
bubbles1966

Postby OFT on Tue May 15, 2018 10:37 pm

Westbourne Bill wrote:but Heston at £10m would be an upgrade on Adrian IMO

bubbles1966 wrote:Does he play for Charlton?

:D
OFT

Postby Colours never run on Wed May 16, 2018 1:08 am

Whooah, Heaton I'm reading for about £10m?? ****ing crazy if true. Just another Randolph MK II situation should we wish to keep Adrian which we definitely should be cementing his No. 1 position. Hopefully its all b*llocks. I don't mind Heaton although injury prone but never for a big fee, especially 32yo.

**** me, if they're dead set on buying a new No. 1 from Burnley they're going for the wrong bloke anyway. Nick Pope has looked mustard all season long, with no injury concerns and with a long bright future ahead of him.

I'd still prefer Adrian over both and bring in a promising under study for him.

We never learn (if true)....
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Wed May 16, 2018 1:43 am

Isn't Pope in the England squad ?? (or will be if the papers are to be believed...)

Burnley qualified for Europe didn't they ?? English too.....25M based on Pickford's price....

No chance.......
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby Colours never run on Wed May 16, 2018 3:16 am

Which is why I'd stick with Adrian and bring in a promising under study happy to play 2nd fiddle for now.
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby umweb on Wed May 16, 2018 9:40 am

would definitely keep. and i've mentioned before, but maybe the issue is with goalkeeping coach. no clue who it is, but keepers seem to get worse here over the past few years.
umweb

Postby thejackhammer on Wed May 16, 2018 1:01 pm

Colours never run wrote:Whooah, Heaton I'm reading for about £10m?? ****ing crazy if true. Just another Randolph MK II situation should we wish to keep Adrian which we definitely should be cementing his No. 1 position. Hopefully its all b*llocks. I don't mind Heaton although injury prone but never for a big fee, especially 32yo.

**** me, if they're dead set on buying a new No. 1 from Burnley they're going for the wrong bloke anyway. Nick Pope has looked mustard all season long, with no injury concerns and with a long bright future ahead of him.

I'd still prefer Adrian over both and bring in a promising under study for him.

We never learn (if true)....

Get out of the past, £10 million for a keeper of Heaton’s quality is nothing. Cech went for the same price a few years ago. And we got something like £7 million for Randolph.
Pope would cost £25-30 million minimum. Our options are a cheap risk like Johnstone, or an older pro like Heaton.

Personally I hope we go young and let them and Adrian fight it out, a bit like when Adrian came in against Jussi.
thejackhammer

Postby psychoscoredthelot on Wed May 16, 2018 1:28 pm

umweb wrote:would definitely keep. and i've mentioned before, but maybe the issue is with goalkeeping coach. no clue who it is, but keepers seem to get worse here over the past few years.

chris woods
psychoscoredthelot

Postby Colours never run on Wed May 16, 2018 1:29 pm

Cech went for the same price. That's Cech>>>>>>>Heaton.

And yes, even taken into account inflation, £10m for a 32/33yo Burnley Keeper is too much to be spending on a Keeper that would at best be fighting it out for the No. 1 Jersey. It's a total waste of money considering age and ability.
Colours never run

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion