PSF: West Ham Utd 2-3 Juventus (07/08/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

shammy

Re: West Ham v Juventus Match

Post by shammy »

You mean cheaper tickets for some, but the majority are paying more for an inferior view.
This is NOT how the Olympic Stadium was sold to us, and that is the point, nothing else.
As for 'show piece opener against top European opposition', do me a favour, its a pre-season friendly, nothing more nothing less. The atmosphere will be as flat as a pancake.
They should hire you as a Fluffer, you really know how to get people excited.
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 874 likes

Post by mushy »

A fluffer?

Lost on me.
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Anybody who thinks that paying over £20 to watch what will probably be the second and third string players of one of the world's great teams is a decent price must be music to the ears of the board.

I love West Ham and Juventus are probably are my favourite other club, but I haven't changed my mind from the first second I saw the cost.

To sit in my own seat at the OS is going to cost me £35 to watch a glorified kick-about - it is just scandalous.

I watched an FA Cup Quarter Final against one of the world's biggest clubs in probably the biggest domestic cup competition in the world for £5 less.

Yes I can hold out for cheaper seats, but MY seat is vastly overpriced and if the board don't see that they have learned nothing.
Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer »

Hockley Hammer wrote:Anybody who thinks that paying over £20 to watch what will probably be the second and third string players of one of the world's great teams is a decent price must be music to the ears of the board.

I love West Ham and Juventus are probably are my favourite other club, but I haven't changed my mind from the first second I saw the cost.

To sit in my own seat at the OS is going to cost me £35 to watch a glorified kick-about - it is just scandalous.

I watched an FA Cup Quarter Final against one of the world's biggest clubs in probably the biggest domestic cup competition in the world for £5 less.

Yes I can hold out for cheaper seats, but MY seat is vastly overpriced and if the board don't see that they have learned nothing.

I think what people (myself) are paying for is that first experience of the new stadium. Would I do this 2/3 summers down the line? Probably not. But by August the 7th I'll be well into missing my football and am quite happy to shell out £25 (for me) to watch a half decent (hopefully) game in the sun, take that first look at my new seat and view, wonder round the stadium, take some photos etc. I could just wait that bit longer and do it all 'for real' but patience has never been one of my strong points. :scarfer:
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Well I for one can't wait to see what the real view is like from my seats for the first game.

If anyone thinks it will be a 'friendly' then I would think again. These games are vital for our season preparation and are used as a full blooded work out.
Limehouse

Post by Limehouse »

Me and mine (grown up kids) decided some time ago our first game would be a competitive league match. We are pooling the money we 'save' from swerving the Juventus game and putting it instead towards flying one of them back from his holiday in Malta. Can't wait.
thecube

Post by thecube »

I think Alfiehammer has hit the nail on the head. People are willing to pay £40-£50 a ticket purely for the opportunity to be at the 1st game to played at the new stadium.
The fact is though, at this moment we don't know 100% that it will be the 1st game to be played there.
If we end up in the Qualifying round of the Europa then our Home Leg is scheduled to be played BEFORE the Juventus game. (28th July or 4 August)
If this scenario was to happen then interest for the Juventus game would naturally drop. Is then why the deadline for buying Juventus tickets is 9th May (before the current season finishes so before the club or the fans know if we then have another '1st game' to attend ...)
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

Given how they have marketed the 'last' game(s) at the Boleyn there will clearly be a number of 'first' games

First friendly, first European game, first league game , first FA Cup game, etc etc
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

hammerdivone wrote:Well I for one can't wait to see what the real view is like from my seats for the first game.

If anyone thinks it will be a 'friendly' then I would think again. These games are vital for our season preparation and are used as a full blooded work out.
:lol:

The West Ham marketing machine is in fully up and running today I see.

These games have NEVER been taken seriously. This will be no different, maybe worse considering the value of player who could get injured so close to the start of a domestic season.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2488 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

hammerdivone wrote:Well I for one can't wait to see what the real view is like from my seats for the first game.

I agree with your first sentence, at that is one reason that I will probably go.

As to the second, this will be like the normal pre-season friendly - fairly competitive but not quite full-blooded as neither side will want injuries.
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 874 likes

Post by mushy »

Hampshire Hammer wrote:
As to the second, this will be like the normal pre-season friendly - fairly competitive but not quite full-blooded as neither side will want injuries.
will be like last nights game, lots of excitable kids in the crowd, but most people just sitting there having a chat.makes it an expensive chat for those paying 50 quid a pop.
Its a nice day out for those with kids I would say.
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

hadleighhammer wrote:The West Ham marketing machine is in fully up and running today I see.

These games have NEVER been taken seriously. This will be no different, maybe worse considering the value of player who could get injured so close to the start of a domestic season.
This last game before the season starts is the next step between the pre-season friendly and the PL game. The Werder Bremen game was not a stroll in the park by any stretch of the imagination. Bilic has a different approach to these albeit only risking players for 45/60 minutes.

Of course players can get injured, just like they can in training, but that doesn't stop them making tackles/runs etc.
Made In Leyton 1974
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Made In Leyton 1974 »

Alfiehammer wrote: I think what people (myself) are paying for is that first experience of the new stadium. Would I do this 2/3 summers down the line? Probably not. But by August the 7th I'll be well into missing my football and am quite happy to shell out £25 (for me) to watch a half decent (hopefully) game in the sun, take that first look at my new seat and view, wonder round the stadium, take some photos etc. I could just wait that bit longer and do it all 'for real' but patience has never been one of my strong points.
I totally agree :thup:
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by clawhammer »

Some of the stuff in here beggars belief. "Long suffering season ticket holders"? Give me a break. We are just finishing one of our best seasons for years playing decent football and people are still moaning. Now you have the chance to watch Juventus at the opening of our new stadium and people are moaning at the price , greedy Daves etc.
Next year I will be sitting in a new stadium in a better seat, costing me £100 less than last year. I was one of those who stayed behind for the Brown out demonstration and I cannot believe how much things have improved since those days. I for sure will be there hoping to see some new signings and looking forward to checking out my new view. I just wish some would lighten up and just enjoy this time because it is better than most of the last 50 years and we can at least see some progress.
Kermit
Has liked: 98 likes
Total likes: 341 likes

Post by Kermit »

clawhammer wrote:Some of the stuff in here beggars belief. "Long suffering season ticket holders"? Give me a break.
Difficult to disagree with this. I'm a ST holder and have been for many years. No one has ever held a gun to my head and demanded that I renew every year. I'm a big boy now and make my own mind up about these things. Don't want to pay £50, then don't. If you really do feel you are "long suffering" don't renew. But, please, if you have paid, or are going to, please try to see the irony in voluntarily shelling out and then moaning about what you've done. :lol:
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

A score tops for everyone, fiver for the kids would have been a nice introduction to the new stadium albeit for a kickabout.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

I am sure people would have moaned if they charged £20 but the match was against Empoli.

OK I think the club could have made it cheaper, but this is likely to be the grand opening of our residency at the OS, and Juventus are one of Europe's historically elite clubs. Even during our European adventures, we have never hosted such a big European club. I am sure the Dave's negotiated a first team requirement, and I am sure Juve are being paid well for this commitment.
Hammer in Hornchurch
Has liked: 521 likes
Total likes: 226 likes

Post by Hammer in Hornchurch »

Breaking news... It's all a mistype....
They meant to say Fray Bentos pies available at the new stadium starting from £20.

I'll get my coat :P
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

I think I'm going to have to go to this, I really want to have a look at the stadium and getting a game thrown in too, the first we ever play there, is pretty good for £20 :)
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 808 likes
Total likes: 3026 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Sweeney Bod wrote:I am sure people would have moaned if they charged £20 but the match was against Empoli.

OK I think the club could have made it cheaper, but this is likely to be the grand opening of our residency at the OS, and Juventus are one of Europe's historically elite clubs. Even during our European adventures, we have never hosted such a big European club. I am sure the Dave's negotiated a first team requirement, and I am sure Juve are being paid well for this commitment.
A fair comment .

I think its a bit toppy but its ****ing Juventus . We really couldn't expect a bigger club .