Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

delbert
Has liked: 698 likes
Total likes: 697 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by delbert »

hammers92 wrote:I won’t go into a massive essay on it but the stadium could’ve been multi-purpose. Stade de France is and works just fine. Someone somewhere needs to be held fully accountable for this mess.
Albie Beck wrote:Coe, Livingstone & Jowell.

100%
:thup:
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

I quite like 'oval' stadia. I know I'm probably in the minority but one of the most enjoyable games I went to was in Rome's Olympic stadium which has a full running track round it, but seemed to give everyone a good view. I generally like a TV style view so I'm never close to the pitch. Top of the chicken run in the late eighties was the last time I was within 20 yards of the touchline!
goa127

Post by goa127 »

How come the concourse wasn't freezing today? I had a drink with my mate after the game and we weren't shivering with the cold. We were when we got outside!
Stratford Hammer
Has liked: 16 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Stratford Hammer »

goa127 wrote:How come the concourse wasn't freezing today? I had a drink with my mate after the game and we weren't shivering with the cold. We were when we got outside!
Funny innit, but we were the opposite, freezing 'inside', plenty warmer outside. This is TB end.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

its the seating so far away and the gaps with netting between stands that is the worst.

had a Bovril which was good yesterday.

usual stewards causing trouble in TB end .

why AS IT WAS GOOD FOOTBALL BANTER WITH WATFORD FANS
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

This is copied from the RWHFAG page on FB,
As most of you would have seen I happen to be 1 of the West Ham fans who was arrested yesterday,,I sit block 114 right next to away fans and it’s always good banter,,10 mins before half time I was asked to leave by stewards for no reason at all but just for singing and joining in banter with away fans,,I stayed to half time and when went downstairs to bar I was surrounded by bout 6 stewards and then throw to the ground by police ,handcuffed and taken to barking nick..I was freed this morning at5 and charged with threatening to cut a steward which is total rubbish and a poor excuse,,now I’m in court on 12 March with a banning order and public order offence,,I’m 50 years old and never been nicked at football in my life,,this club is a joke and I need take this further,,my 27 year old son was also charged and he never starts trouble,,can you help me if poss to take this to the club as I need to speak to some1 in the club.you can see the incident on Twitter and other sites..thanks
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Hammer.CA wrote:This is copied from the RWHFAG page on FB,
As most of you would have seen I happen to be 1 of the West Ham fans who was arrested yesterday,,I sit block 114 right next to away fans and it’s always good banter,,10 mins before half time I was asked to leave by stewards for no reason at all but just for singing and joining in banter with away fans,,I stayed to half time and when went downstairs to bar I was surrounded by bout 6 stewards and then throw to the ground by police ,handcuffed and taken to barking nick..I was freed this morning at5 and charged with threatening to cut a steward which is total rubbish and a poor excuse,,now I’m in court on 12 March with a banning order and public order offence,,I’m 50 years old and never been nicked at football in my life,,this club is a joke and I need take this further,,my 27 year old son was also charged and he never starts trouble,,can you help me if poss to take this to the club as I need to speak to some1 in the club.you can see the incident on Twitter and other sites..thanks
I strongly advise him to contact Amanda Jacks at the FSF who has much experience and legal contacts in this sort of matter. amanda.jacks@fsf.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
goa127

Post by goa127 »

goa127 wrote:How come the concourse wasn't freezing today? I had a drink with my mate after the game and we weren't shivering with the cold. We were when we got outside!
It must have something to do with wind direction. I only mentioned it because we normally don't drink in the bar afterwards if it's cold because we freeze. I'm in the east stand so we're normally at 236/136 bar.
AMC1964

Post by AMC1964 »

So having had 18 months for the stewarding issues to be resolved, the stadium operators have now pulled the contract from OCS and awarded four sector tenders to different security companies. I noticed that the stewards on the South East corner were "busy" on Saturday, but in the main, common sense seemed to prevail and no incidents, although a lot of very different faces. Not so, it seems, in the South West corner, where yet again, a new set of Stewards seems to feel they have to impose their will on the support.

Theses issues were resolve pretty much last season, but now we have to go through it all again.

The Club needs to get into the Stadium operator and resolve, asap. Before we get a major incident, and be warned, it will happen based on what I'm seeing on social media. This really isn't good.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

AMC1964 wrote:The Club needs to get into the Stadium operator and resolve, asap.
Sadly that won't happen .

The club surrendered any right to have a say when negotiating the infamous "screw them to the wall, nail them, leave no good will on the table" deal .

How much did the LLDC say they had spent on legal fees arguing with us since we moved in ? Something like £3.5m ?

There's no good will , that's what happens when a deal is lopsided.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Deal of the Century though TPP...:asleep:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

AMC1964 wrote:So having had 18 months for the stewarding issues to be resolved, the stadium operators have now pulled the contract from OCS and awarded four sector tenders to different security companies. I noticed that the stewards on the South East corner were "busy" on Saturday, but in the main, common sense seemed to prevail and no incidents, although a lot of very different faces. Not so, it seems, in the South West corner, where yet again, a new set of Stewards seems to feel they have to impose their will on the support.

Theses issues were resolve pretty much last season, but now we have to go through it all again.

The Club needs to get into the Stadium operator and resolve, asap. Before we get a major incident, and be warned, it will happen based on what I'm seeing on social media. This really isn't good.

Couldn't agree more. I thought all this **** had almost died a death and we seemed to be getting somewhere but if they've got new recruits with another agenda/ideas then we are back to square one which only helps feed a toxic atmosphere amongst the ranks. It would be nice if anyone gets asked on the march and raises the point about over the top Stewarding if it continues to shine a spot light on it in the media.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

'The price of everything & the value of nothing' could have been written specifically for the 3 stooges TPP.
choppers123

Post by choppers123 »

Do they still do the "happy hour" offer in the stadium before kick off for beers?

Every time I go, they either change the time of the deal, or don't offer it at all?
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Been thinking about possible solutions to our 'distance from pitch' conundrum.

Barring the financial aspect, and the roof that'd require extending/covering, I'm wondering if something like this might be one way forward. It's the only way I can envisage bringing the fans pitch-side without requiring any further digging down.

(I think placing the concourse - which would need to be extended - between each tier, as it sort of is now, would create too much of a 'disconnect' between tiers.)

Excuse the crude diagram, but it illustrates my idea well enough. Thoughts?
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

The concourse wouldn't really need to move you'd just need access to it.

As crude as your plan is, no offence, if the tiers were as you suggest that would leave a lot of room for corporate facilities up the top.
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

That's one way you could do it UTJ, and I'm sure there are others.

The problem is who would pay for it? There's no chance that the stadium operators will, and there is even less of a chance of our owners doing so.
goa127

Post by goa127 »

AMC1964 wrote:So having had 18 months for the stewarding issues to be resolved, the stadium operators have now pulled the contract from OCS and awarded four sector tenders to different security companies. I noticed that the stewards on the South East corner were "busy" on Saturday, but in the main, common sense seemed to prevail and no incidents, although a lot of very different faces. Not so, it seems, in the South West corner, where yet again, a new set of Stewards seems to feel they have to impose their will on the support.

new stewards looked very nervous, I'm not sure why, there were no real issues to deal with
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

UTJ. What you have suggested can be done. The world Cup stadium in Russia being a prime example and was previously an athletics stadium. However they kept the outer walls and rebuilt new stands inside. LS has no outer wall so would basically be a rebuild but keeping the roof. I think the roof would not cover the closest seats so this might as well go as well. I personally think a complete rebuild with say a 50000 capacity on the site would be best but will cost a new owner many hundreds millions.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

The roof doesn't have to cover all the seats.

When we (well they) initially bid for it the roof was not going to cover the front seats.