Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^^ Higher than the proposed height of the East Stand development that was said couldn't go ahead because it was too high?
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:^^^^ Higher than the proposed height of the East Stand development that was said couldn't go ahead because it was too high?
That's what I'm wondering, Johnny.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:^^^^ Higher than the proposed height of the East Stand development that was said couldn't go ahead because it was too high?
That's just another Chinese whisper, plan were passed and only 5 objections from the flats

Could have good 40,500 simular to the amount in the OS v WBA in January rattling around in the foot space of an 80,000 stadium

G&S call themselves fans :thdn:
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

LLTB but we are at the toilet bowl now and have to get on with it. I hate the place as much as the next person but we have been sold out by a bunch of £$%^& who are making a nice amount out of it all.

IF we win the next 3 home games then we will forget the misery that is the matchday experience at the LS for a few weeks .

truth is football has changed and it is not for the better. I am giving the next 2 a miss as have had enough of the bowl. hopefully I will feel better and withdrawal as I have my tickets for spurs . also as I am not going west ham will no doubt produce two great performances and win both games, I hope so.

will we ever be happy at the bowl, I doubt it unless we get major new owners who rebuild the dump !

The walk back is the killer and I get round this by popping into the carpenters for a beer or two whilst the crowds go. That then leaves a quiet soul less walk to the station
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

hammerman11 wrote: IF we win the next 3 home games then we will forget the misery that is the matchday experience at the LS for a few weeks .
Speak for yourself mate.

I think your above statement is the sort of apathetic attitude that got us into this stadium along with thousands of others in the first place.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Hammerman11's opinions change like the weather.

hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

you need to rad the whole lot not selective bits

I also said
will we ever be happy at the bowl, I doubt it unless we get major new owners who rebuild the dump !

I hate the place but we all know a few wins will paper over the cracks !

it will never be home for me and many others

May 2016 WHU RIP is true on so many levels. no doubt the Chelsea fans will remind us on sunday what we have lost !
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

When would be a good time for a new poll? Personally I’d love to see what the majority of fans really want in the future for West Ham United following the greatest migration ever. Sometimes it seems the majority can not move on. ( I think given 3 choices the only really impossible option would still win)

1, redevelop Olympic Stadium
2, find a new site and build a new stadium
3, go back to the Boleyn
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

Please note I didn’t leave an option 4, leave it as it is as it is fine. Perhaps I should have for the board sympathisers
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

3 is not an option
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

Did you read my post? :lol:
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9655 likes

Post by S-H »

Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

somerset-hammer wrote:Hammerman11's opinions change like the weather.
A few more people will change their opinion after Chelsea

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/0/2636714
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.

Fishing
Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

Wembley1966 wrote:A few more people will change their opinion after Chelsea

:D I was just thinking that.

Should be nice and soggy.

STOP/GO
Doyley72
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 110 likes

Post by Doyley72 »

Jon wrote:Win the next 2 home games and it will feel home from home.

Sorry but this sentimentality about UP is misplaced. The old UP yes. I get that. But the new one with its all seater, further from the action dilution. No..

I miss the lower west terrace, never mind the Chicken Run. I don't miss the sanitised UP after the Taylor Report. I miss the North Bank, the South Bank, the rawness of matchday. I miss 50p hamburgers and the queue at the tube coming home (nah I don't miss that....)

Football's changed, we've changed. The best view is from your sofa not by being at the Bowl. Ask the Mickeys at the top of their new stand or those in the gods at Old Trafford or the Barcodes. Up top in the Rio was a soulless experience.

It's new, different and often worse. But it's still live football. It's still West Ham.. 50k West Ham will be there at the weekend. That's impressive.
Spot on Jon :thup:

UP wasnt my UP for years...the sway of the crowd, the Chicken Run singing away, the South Bank "doing their job"...i'm no fan of Stratford, but it does give us a lot more options than the old girl gave us.

There was nowhere better than watching football at UP in the 70's &* 80's and i feel privileged to have been there and done it all and it will never be the same.

I couldnt get to UP as much in the last 15 years, but when i did go, it looked old, it looked tired and had lost a lot of the old charisma...

It also cost a fortune and most top games, it was almost impossible to get a ticket. We had out grown the place, that's for sure, as the old days of just turning up and getting in had gone. Us school kids could turn up mob handed but now days it isnt as easy as that and at UP, its was too expensive to do that.

I'm not saying the bowl is better, but potentially we can make it a home. I like the idea of a sweeping terrace IF we can dig down. But the fact there is a lot of space there, that is very rare in East London, we could, one day, build on it and with a capacity that can let kids get in cheaper, that can bring back the terrace and make our home intimidating, like the 70's & 80's is surely a good thing.

But we do need the fans to dictate this. More of a voice on the board. There is so many good ideas that i have read on this thread (some terrible as well, i may add), that Ms Brady should be listening too and working with the fans. I hear November is going to be a big month with some confirmations. Is "Tripp" and his mates going to take over and invest in all this potential and give the two David's their money so they can swan off? Lets see if this happens and if not, then a push is needed.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 813 likes
Total likes: 3033 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Doyley72 wrote:
I'm not saying the bowl is better, but potentially we can make it a home. I like the idea of a sweeping terrace IF we can dig down. But the fact there is a lot of space there, that is very rare in East London, we could, one day, build on it and with a capacity that can let kids get in cheaper, that can bring back the terrace and make our home intimidating, like the 70's & 80's is surely a good thing.

But we do need the fans to dictate this. More of a voice on the board. There is so many good ideas that i have read on this thread (some terrible as well, i may add), that Ms Brady should be listening too and working with the fans. I hear November is going to be a big month with some confirmations. Is "Tripp" and his mates going to take over and invest in all this potential and give the two David's their money so they can swan off? Lets see if this happens and if not, then a push is needed.
Meanwhile we can't afford a decent DM, a fee for a RB........

WE don't own the place. WE won't be doing any digging.

The public spent £323m to convert it to a multi use stadium, that's on top of the original build cost.

It is what it is and it isn't going to change. If it's an ok place for you as it is, that's fine, I'm glad you're happy, but it isn't going to be redeveloped in to a proper football ground.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by James P »

Doyley72 wrote:But the fact there is a lot of space there, that is very rare in East London, we could, one day, build on it......
The fact is there is a lot of land there but we don't own any of it! If we want to build on it, we're gonna have to buy it first and as you know, real estate in East London carries something of a premium.

As TPP is making abundantly clear, we're not rebuilding the stadium. We're not building stadiums inside other stadiums. We're not digging down and making middle tiers into upper tiers and upper tiers into hotels (That one is completely beyond my comprehension)

The stadium is what it is and there will be at best the tiniest of tweaks for as long as we can reasonably see.
GALF
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 152 likes

Post by GALF »

James P wrote: The fact is there is a lot of land there but we don't own any of it! If we want to build on it, we're gonna have to buy it first and as you know, real estate in East London carries something of a premium.

As TPP is making abundantly clear, we're not rebuilding the stadium. We're not building stadiums inside other stadiums. We're not digging down and making middle tiers into upper tiers and upper tiers into hotels (That one is completely beyond my comprehension)

The stadium is what it is and there will be at best the tiniest of tweaks for as long as we can reasonably see.
Spot on!
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

I fear you are right.

I am forcing myself to miss the Chelsea and man utd games. something I would not normally do but I hate the place and will watch it on TV in my home with 4 cans for £4 AS OPPOSED TO £5.50 AT THE TOILET BOWL.
will I miss
the atmosphere - yes
seeing it live - yes
the LS - HELL NO
the walk to and from the ground - no
the overpriced food, drinks etc - no

It wont be the same but just maybe the fun has gone from football nowadays and it aint coming back, like we arent going back to the boleyn.

we shall see