Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: bristolhammerfc, sicknote, -DL-, Rio, Gnome, chalks, the pink palermo

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Postby the pink palermo on Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:50 pm

mywhufc wrote: To think people got paid to do that deal is shocking.

Very much so .

A complete waste of Taxpayers money for the next 100 years .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby Wembley1966 on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:40 am

mike1961 wrote:I've watched the paralympics on the TV thing a couple of times, not because I'm interested in the paralympics (I'm not), but to try and work out what they have done with the temporary seats. I've found it rather confusing, but I think they are running most of the races in front of the East Stand, having completely rebuilt the lower tier to make it smaller ... what do other people think? The camera angles are a bit bizarre, but we never get to see any signs of the corporate bit, except possibly a long range shot. The pundits are shown in what is presumably a corporate lounge, but you can't see much of the stadium behind them.

Their studio is probably the end corporate box and the area outside it, nearest the TB Stand - that is the one that BT use as a studio when broadcasting our matches there:
Detail from a Bengeo photo from the Rugby World Cup
Wembley1966

Postby Red Kens Slave on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:16 pm

mywhufc wrote:The stadium don’t make a profit because of the poor deal they did with west ham, they failed to see our owners were desperate for the place. To think people got paid to do that deal is shocking

The stadium don't make a profit because of the incredible and consistent mismanagement of the venue since before we even signed up to the stadium up to the present day.

frankly I think they did well for themselves to get the deal they did with West Ham, all things considered. Their desperation was immeasurably higher than ours, their negotiating position was severely restricted because of the lack of flexibility on owning all of the operational costs, and the alternatives to our bid were laughable.

Personally, I think the club are overpaying.
Red Kens Slave

Postby fredjstanley on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:42 pm

Ultimately, the OS needed us more than we needed the OS. However, now UP has been knocked down and the site sold we're both as screwed as each other. Us paying a paltry amount to use a stadium that isn't really fit for purpose. Oh my the next 99 years are going to be fun!
fredjstanley

Postby Colours never run on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:07 pm

All I know is, I'm determined to out live it, even if I have to resort to cryogenics. :evil:
Colours never run

Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Postby screech on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:08 pm

i can see the athletics mob pulling out and we get offered the place for a knock down price
will we get to see any company accounts for the stadium operators?
see what the true costs of accomodating football, athletics and music is costing the tax payer???
followed by another public outcry led by the BBC!!
screech

Postby HammerMan2004 on Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:57 pm

London could host the World Para-athletics Championships in 2019 following a request from athletes.

The current event at London Stadium has been so successful that some participants have called for the biennial event to be hosted in London permanently.

More than 230,000 tickets were sold in advance of the event, which is running between 14-23 July.

"No contract is currently signed with a 2019 host city," said a spokesman for the International Paralympic Committee (IPC).

"The IPC is pleased that athletes, spectators and TV viewers are enjoying these championships as greatly as we are."

:|
HammerMan2004

Postby Thekorean on Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:55 pm

Doesnt matter what they host, London Stadium is going to bleed tax payers money.

Sooner or later West Ham will own the stadium.

When Gold and Sullivan sells up.
Thekorean

Postby MD_HM on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:06 pm

Successful my arse... they can't give the tickets away

Go to twitter or instagram... it's embarrassingly empty
MD_HM

Postby East Ham Iron on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:23 pm

Their studio is probably the end corporate box and the area outside it, nearest the TB Stand - that is the one that BT use as a studio when broadcasting our matches there:
Detail from a Bengeo photo from the Rugby World Cup[/quote]

That 'box' on the end is the event/matchday control room. Security, Safety Officers, Police & Ambulance etc all sit up there.
East Ham Iron

Postby Wembley1966 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:25 am

^^^ The control room is at the top of the West Stand above the media section - top right in this photo - bottom left that's sometimes used as a studio is a normal corporate box:

Click for larger image and then again
Wembley1966

Postby Rio on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:31 am

MD_HM wrote:Successful my arse... they can't give the tickets away

Go to twitter or instagram... it's embarrassingly empty

Apparantly 280,000 tickets been sold over the course of the event, which is more than any previous hosts have managed. They've been giving away tickets galore to, I'm managed to secure some for tomorrow.

But over the course of the week it's equating to half full stadiums. I can't see the point of making it being housed permanently in one country.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Postby MrDallas on Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:37 am

Wembley1966 wrote:^^^ The control room is at the top of the West Stand above the media section - top right in this photo - bottom left that's sometimes used as a studio is a normal corporate box

that box at the top of the west stand is only used for athletics, the control room for all match/events/ is the box mentioned previously
MrDallas

Postby Doc H Ball on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:18 am

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/ ... -games-bid

Parallel story in Berlin. Football fans wanting steep, close and loud stands - who'd have thought it?
Doc H Ball

Postby B'WoodBob on Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:54 am

Doc H Ball wrote:http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1052353/berlin-warned-taking-athletics-track-out-of-olympic-stadium-would-end-any-future-games-bid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Parallel story in Berlin. Football fans wanting steep, close and loud stands - who'd have thought it?

I went to Germany v England in the Olympic Stadium Berlin last year. It wasn't a great view as you can imagine but the atmosphere was fantastic and as a one off the view was acceptable.

The problem comes when its your view for 20 odd games a season and you resign yourself to the fact that the only decent views you get are at away games and every away game is better than what you get at home.

I don't think that the Olympic Stadium in Berlin will be redeveloped, it is steeped into much history. The real travesty with London is that Coe's pig faced stubbornness about not securing the future of the stadium at design phase has cost the tax payers millions. I don't think West Ham will ever buy the stadium, the rental deal is too good. I also don't think anyone will ever be motivated to change the design of the stadium. Why would they? Sells out every week why spend millions to change it for no extra revenue?

Only 98 years to go.....
B'WoodBob

Postby Ben on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:17 am

I've seen a few people say that the athletics lot may walk away but why would they?
they have a better deal than us don't they?
Ben

Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread

Postby screech on Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:54 am

i've been watching the para athletics quite a bit this week and it was mentioned on tv the other night that the para athletes have all said how much the london stadium means to them and they love it there and are putting together a proposal to have the para world chamionships held there everytime, apparently no host has been declared for the next one and they want to make the LS the "hub" for the event
screech

Postby NorthernIron on Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:37 am

Ben wrote:I've seen a few people say that the athletics lot may walk away but why would they?
they have a better deal than us don't they?

34k a year I think the figure was :fsake:
NorthernIron

Postby sanchoz on Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:49 pm

Regarding the distribution of up to 100,000 free tickets to Newham residents and Newham Council employees (from page 308)

In trying to pin Newham Council down on an exact date/week of when this information was going to be released I received the following:

Our response: As present, there is no set date, however we intend to release the
information after the football season is over and prior to the next season starting.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... E28204.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ing-948192" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The release of information will involve a breakdown of community groups per game and amounts taken up as well as the numbers taken up by Newham Council "junior staff" members.

Football season starts three weeks from today. No release as yet of this information from Newham.
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby dt64 on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:33 pm

Me and a friend are thinking of getting season tickets for next year. Can anyone recommend a good place in terms of atmosphere? We'd both like to stand and get fully involved!!
dt64

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion