Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1855 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Does Newham borough still have a finger in the OS pie?

I was just wondering how favourably they might look upon a planning application to build a new stadium elsewhere in the LBN.
JCA
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by JCA »

I thought they had pulled out of E20 ?
GreenStHammer

Post by GreenStHammer »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Does Newham borough still have a finger in the OS pie?

I was just wondering how favourably they might look upon a planning application to build a new stadium elsewhere in the LBN.

I think Newham have 2 fingers up at the OS
CSC
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by CSC »

I'm not in favour of rebuilding the OS.
We should buy some land in Canning Town, build a new stadium.
Once built, buy our way out of the existing contract at the OS and leave that sorry place behind us forever.

That's my dream for the future.
mattymoo

Post by mattymoo »

I am a sth and I will renew next season irrespective on what league we are in and my thoughts on gsb, I enjoy going there as do my boys. ..Atmosphere is getting better
To many people forget the Upton park atmosphere wasn't great either . I can remember some awful times
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I can remember it dead quiet but that's not the point as unless we are successful the atmosphere will for some games be quiet.

the main point is we rent a soulless bowl and the approach to the ground is the same. no street traders selling badges old programmes scarves shirts etc. now we have an overpriced stadium store

inside the bowl its just another event it is not our home.

we are miles from the pitch, popcorn sellers, stewards who are as awkward and confrontational as they come, loads of tourists.

I doubt we will move but think we will buy the thing in a few years. only then can it become a home with no running track and rebuilt permanent stands. concerts boxing etc are fine athletics is not..
This will require major money which the dildos wont spend so the only way is to drive them out. The march is the first of many steps. hopefully red bull or similar will come in for us.

we have the fanbase. for example city took 2000k away in the champions league, we take more to stoke !

I will continue to go next season but not as often as its not as enjoyable as it used to be due to the stadium and surrounding area. To coin a phrase it aint west ham !
mattymoo

Post by mattymoo »

I don't think it's soulless and my view is good , I agree more needs to be done so it looks like whu in and outside the ground
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

i think there is a sizable number of people who are "fine" with the olympic stadium just like they were "fine" with the boleyn ground. they would be "fine" with a lot of things because it's just a place they go to so they can watch a bit of football. they never had the romantic connection to the mix of plastic and concrete that was the old place so they aren't repulsed by the absolute void of it at the new one. they likely found the run down surroundings to be a pain in the backside before and quite like being able to nip in and get cheap hoodie and a starbucks from westfield on matchdays. they are more concerned with getting a decent WIFI signal than getting closer to the pitch.

probably makes up a larger number than most of us on here would want to admit, and will only get bigger as those of us who are disillusioned with how detached and clinical the whole ordeal has become drift away.

GSB see us as a storm that must be weathered, and given enough time apathy will come for even the best of us. the premier league is a self sustaining brand and that status alone will keep the seats we vacate filled.

our only hope is one last big flare up before it's all over bar the shouting.
goa127
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Beavis Danzig wrote:i think there is a sizable number of people who are "fine" with the olympic stadium just like they were "fine" with the boleyn ground. they would be "fine" with a lot of things because it's just a place they go to so they can watch a bit of football. they never had the romantic connection to the mix of plastic and concrete that was the old place so they aren't repulsed by the absolute void of it at the new one. they likely found the run down surroundings to be a pain in the backside before and quite like being able to nip in and get cheap hoodie and a starbucks from westfield on matchdays. they are more concerned with getting a decent WIFI signal than getting closer to the pitch.

probably makes up a larger number than most of us on here would want to admit, and will only get bigger as those of us who are disillusioned with how detached and clinical the whole ordeal has become drift away.

GSB see us as a storm that must be weathered, and given enough time apathy will come for even the best of us. the premier league is a self sustaining brand and that status alone will keep the seats we vacate filled.

I think most of what you are saying is true, my emotional connection with UP finished when it went all seater really, and althogh I lived in the area briefly in 71-72 just before I got married, I won't miss it and I prefer the pubs in Stratford, (Black Bull if I want to stay a while) and transport's better (in theory when the trains are running). Watching football is different for everybody so some will hate it some whill love it some don't care that much. I suppose Stratford has a connection for me cos I used to work next door to the Builder's arms for the Stratford Express, watched England lose a world cup quarter final in1970 in the Swan, etc. I also went to th Olymics in 2012 so knew pretty much what to expect
Diogenes
Has liked: 475 likes
Total likes: 1199 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Beavis Danzig wrote:i think there is a sizable number of people who are "fine" with the olympic stadium just like they were "fine" with the boleyn ground. they would be "fine" with a lot of things because it's just a place they go to so they can watch a bit of football. they never had the romantic connection to the mix of plastic and concrete that was the old place so they aren't repulsed by the absolute void of it at the new one. they likely found the run down surroundings to be a pain in the backside before and quite like being able to nip in and get cheap hoodie and a starbucks from westfield on matchdays. they are more concerned with getting a decent WIFI signal than getting closer to the pitch.

I think that is being a bit disingenuous to many long term, loyal and equally passionate supporters Beavis. Many, like me, are lifelong supporters born and bred in the locality with generations before them. People have opinions and feelings for many different reasons and doesnt make them any more or less an 'equal' supporter. There are loads of things I am certainly not 'fine' about and there are many I feel less 'angered' by than others. By all means continue protest your own opinion but those who dont share it 100% are no less passionate about their club.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3498 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Diogenes wrote:By all means continue protest your own opinion but those who dont share it 100% are no less passionate about their club.
Some may not be. Plenty will be. I'm fairly sure there won't be anyone apathetic to the whole relocation/stadium issue preparing to march in a few weeks' time.
The Big Show

Post by The Big Show »

Some may not be. Plenty will be. I'm fairly sure there won't be anyone apathetic to the whole relocation/stadium issue preparing to march in a few weeks' time.[/quote]

I've been a season ticket holder for 31 years and attended games for many years before. Not sure if that meets the definition of a long term fan. I'm 50/50 about attending the march. I accept now I was sold a dud re the new stadium. I don't like it much but it don't stop me going. If the badge had NO writing I'd quite like it. My biggist issue is the reduction of investment since the move. My 13 year old son is a 10 year season ticket holder. He's adamant he wants to attend and his opinion is as valid as mine. This whole issue of defining those who want to march into categories of fan is unnecessary.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3498 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The Big Show wrote:I've been a season ticket holder for 31 years and attended games for many years before. Not sure if that meets the definition of a long term fan.
That's a lot of suffering, Big Show. I think you meet the necessary criteria.
The Big Show wrote:This whole issue of defining those who want to march into categories of fan is unnecessary.
I agree.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 520 likes
Total likes: 1314 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

https://news.hpe.com/tottenham-hotspur- ... w-stadium/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And we can’t get Wi-fi working.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1781 likes

Post by hammers92 »

HammerMan2004 wrote:https://news.hpe.com/tottenham-hotspur- ... w-stadium/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And we can’t get Wi-fi working.
I fully take everyone’s point of why do we need wi-fi during a football match but installing it isn’t that hard. That link simply highlights just how restricted we are in being able to do anything ourselves in this stadium.
RM10

Post by RM10 »

dont get me wrong i know the faults of the stadium but the same people i know who moan about it are the same lot who stayed in the pub because they couldnt be asked to go in the ground at UP
LOS

Post by LOS »

RM10 wrote:dont get me wrong i know the faults of the stadium but the same people i know who moan about it are the same lot who stayed in the pub because they couldnt be asked to go in the ground at UP
And there is a large proportion of us who detest the configuration of that athletics stadium, but do go in to watch the game.
Macca1973
Has liked: 1841 likes
Total likes: 1157 likes

Post by Macca1973 »

Just been listening to The Analyst cricket podcast. They are suggesting that it is very likely at least one match will be played at the Olympic Stadium in the Cricket World Cup in summer 2019 and to prepare for that a couple of matches will be played at the stadium this summer! Anyone else heard anything? How will this affect us regarding season preparations and start etc.?
comebackjoecole

Post by comebackjoecole »

Atmosphere at The Boleyn could be terrible, away fans often out-sung us, it could be very very quiet, BUT at least at that point I could shout at the players and they could hear me.

I think the players hearing the fans is massively understated and never discussed in OS threads from what I see. It's not just the advantage we give by shouting encouragement (or criticism) to our players, but it's the abuse we could give to the opposition, they could hear us, it used to rattle some of them.
It's an advantage gone.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

What we had with the Boleyn was a football stadium.

A football stadium that on its day was untouchable, frequently great, more often than not good, and sometimes flat.

We don't have a football stadium anymore. We rent a bowl some distance away from a football pitch that on its day is still not a football stadium despite the noise we try to generate, frequently crap, more often than not appalling and sometimes 'meh'.

Is this the 'next level?'