Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 743 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by hammerman11 »

Wembley was a one off for a cup final. the toilet bowl is for every home game sorry event they hold there with us. its a crap ground for football.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Colours never run wrote:How soon will the capacity rise to 66,000? Within this season or next?
I would say 2020/21 season at the earliest. Planning regulations require them to install new catering facilities and toilets to go above 60,000 and there's not much space available using existing configuration.. The Club would certainly have to contribute to the construction costs so they would want to be sure that they can sell 66,000 seats on a regular basis.

If many corporates don't renew at the end of this season, they could turn some of the hospitality areas into general areas!
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 210 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Wembley1966 wrote:
If many corporates don't renew at the end of this season, they could turn some of the hospitality areas into general areas!
I think it is a case of when not If.
Red Kens Slave

Post by Red Kens Slave »

hammerman11 wrote:Wembley was a one off for a cup final. the toilet bowl is for every home game sorry event they hold there with us. its a crap ground for football.
Why do you go?
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

Red Kens Slave wrote: Why do you go?
I imagine spends the whole week writing down lists in a notepad for why he won't go then by Saturday morning has changed his mind and has a new list of why he should go, then he posts on here a list of reasons why he hates it there
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

I imagine spends the whole week writing down lists in a notepad for why he won't go then by Saturday morning has changed his mind and has a new list of why he should go, then he posts on here a list of reasons why he hates it there[/quote]

very good :lol:
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

Red Kens Slave wrote:
Why do you go?
Can't answer for Hammerman but I still go because I don't want to be forced out of doing something I've loved since before getting a ST in the mid 80's up until that last night at the Boleyn.

I also introduced my daughter and son to the passion whilst at the Boleyn and want them to continue the family passion of 3 previous generations but my daughter (13) has become board of the pit whilst my son (12) is ambivalent about it although wild dogs can't keep him away from away games.

I personally am reaching what Pardew would call the Tipping Point.

We won't be there on Saturday to watch City's Stars as my boy has a game of his own. In the old days I would have tried anything to take in West Ham as well, this week nah.

Whenever I hear that the trains are not running I think "oh well that's that then".

And that is all down to the 'experience' of getting to the ground.
The ground itself is not for football but let's be honest if you have been to Newcastle or Crystal Palace you would have had worse views. It is the Olympic Park and the getting in and out of it that it is so joyless that it is a chore and something that costs that much money should not be endured.
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

ive given up my ST and i feel its the best decision i have made for a while

the place is toxic

i watched a bit about AFC wimbledon last night and i hope that one day we can do the same - i feel its the only way we will get out identity back
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:ive given up my ST and i feel its the best decision i have made for a while

the place is toxic

i watched a bit about AFC wimbledon last night and i hope that one day we can do the same - i feel its the only way we will get out identity back

Although I don't feel the same about the stadium I understand plenty hate it. But whatever your feelings I think any idea that we're going any where else is fantasy Judging by the cost of the new WHL the going rate for a new stadium is now nudging £1bn. Under what circumstances that would happen requires a stretch of the imagination J.K. Rowling would struggle with.
BostonHammer

Post by BostonHammer »

Honest question here:

If a Sheik buys us and then buys the stadium and he puts in lots of bathrooms, rehires all the old stewards from the Boleyn on better wages, spends a hundred million quid installing seats closer to the pitch over the summer, implements safe standing, adds more claret and blue decorations and memorializations, and engages with the businesses that used to line green street so they have a place in or near the ground, would people finally be happy or is there anything else I've missed?

Hoping for the above or much of it to occur in my lifetime...only 30 so keeping my fingers crossed.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

hammerman11 wrote:Wembley was a one off for a cup final. the toilet bowl is for every home game sorry event they hold there with us. its a crap ground for football.
Ignore the haters H11. You contribute to making this place worth visiting.
B'WoodBob

Post by B'WoodBob »

BostonHammer wrote:Honest question here:

If a Sheik buys us and then buys the stadium and he puts in lots of bathrooms, rehires all the old stewards from the Boleyn on better wages, spends a hundred million quid installing seats closer to the pitch over the summer, implements safe standing, adds more claret and blue decorations and memorializations, and engages with the businesses that used to line green street so they have a place in or near the ground, would people finally be happy or is there anything else I've missed?

Hoping for the above or much of it to occur in my lifetime...only 30 so keeping my fingers crossed.

the popcorn has to go, or I'm out......
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

They could install 66,000 claret and blue armchairs and it would make little difference.

The main problem for me is that we are now in an Olympic park and the journies to/from the stations are as soulless and joyless as you could imagine. It is not the club that have caused this but the LLDC.

Have the club insisted on:-
People being herded around Westfield
The ridiculous security checks
Introduced the stop/go boards
Not allowing home fans to access PML station until all the away fans have been herded away.
The temporary barriers installed for every home game at what cost.
Prevented sellers like Ribman from selling on the park by enforcing extortionate pitch fees.

I would say No.

The club made a lot of mistakes for this migration but not all issues are down to, or resolvable, by them.
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 289 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

ornchurch ammer wrote: The main problem for me is that we are now in an Olympic park and the journies to/from the stations are as soulless and joyless as you could imagine.
I'm almost afraid to say this, ornchurch, but have you tried the Hackney Wick route? I switched this season, and it's so much better than Stratford. Just, please, don't tell too many other people about it. Nobody reads this site, right?
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

Hammerman11 has a right to air his anger. It’s a disgrace what they have done and it’s forums like here that give us FANS a place to complain. I personally feel robbed I gave up after the first season in Stratford after years at the old place and it still angers me. Fair play to ornchurch and H11 for still going it’s our right to support the team and because they go dosent mean they can’t complain about the joke of a stadium we now find ourselves in because of those 3 and their greed. I prefer to watch us in my local club now which show all the games with 4 mates who I used to have season tickets with in chav corner. Can’t believe I would ever type that but never thought the experience of going to watch us would be so bad. Don’t get on the back of the moaners get on the back of the owners.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

ornchurch ammer wrote:

The main problem for me is that we are now in an Olympic park and the journies to/from the stations are as soulless and joyless as you could imagine. It is not the club that have caused this but the LLDC.

this one is completely on the club

they chose to move there, knowing full well the routes to and from the stadium that the majority of people would be using, they championed the ease and convenience of stratford station and its proximity to the ground as a way of swaying opinion and selling the move to the supporters, to give them leeway on that soulless walk is all down to them, in that deal they signed to give control to the operators of thestadium and the park, they washed their hands of them having any chance of improving it, that was their choice for the reason of cutting costs,

due to that contract they have made it impossible to alter but moan that they cant, they cannot have their cake and eat it,

and the OS is like a service station on the motorway, always was planned to be, they want the punter in the ground spending on refreshments in the ground, not to some burger van or scarf seller or badge seller, just like if you went to a service station on the M25, you wont have burger vans etc on the road into the parking area or in the car park, they charge over the top as you are a captivated audience at the service station, the OS is like putting a stadium on the moon, and its done for the exact same reason, the club are very happy with that, and wont be changing that ever as they get a cut of the revenue the stadium generates from food and drink

there is no incentive in anyone who has an interest in that stadium to improve the walk and facilities on the walk as it will cost them lost revenue in the stadium, and our owners chose that from day 1 knowing exactly what and why they did it
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

The Sheik has a Genie does he?
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 67 likes

Post by johnnyb »

I might be wrong but whenever I have walked through Westfield pre-match this season, there seem to be many more supporters eating/drinking there than previously. Certainly seen more West Ham colours being worn there.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2905 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

ornchurch ammer wrote:Have the club insisted on:-
People being herded around Westfield
The ridiculous security checks
Introduced the stop/go boards
Not allowing home fans to access PML station until all the away fans have been herded away.
The temporary barriers installed for every home game at what cost.
Prevented sellers like Ribman from selling on the park by enforcing extortionate pitch fees.

I would say No.
The clubs priorities were all wrong, and they are responsible.

They knew Westfield would object to 40,000 ploughing through the shopping complex - yet they still moved the club.

They knew stop go barriers would be used - yet they still moved the club.

They knew the security checks would feature- yet they still moved the club.

They knew PML would be off limits until away fans cleared - yet they still moved the club.

They knew temporary barriers would be used for crowd management -yet they still moved the club.

They knew independent retailers would not be allowed -yet they still moved the club.

However much the club are trying to rewrite history and pretend it's all somebody else's fault, the truth is they chose to move the club, they cocked it up and now we, the supporters , have to suffer what is for many people the worst ground for watching football in for all of the UK.

What's worse many of these pitfalls were pointed out to the club before they signed the deal, yet they still signed the deal, placing a cheap deal ahead of supporters enjoyment.

Their greed, and their greed alone is what has gotten us to this point.

Gold, Sullivan and Brady should never be forgiven for what they have done.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1887 likes
Total likes: 1599 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

Remember though Pinky......

People always have a choice...."

and I hope that one day, when the punters stop going en masse, that you will be able to go up to Karren, when she wonders why people have stopped going and say "People always have a choice....