Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Miles Standish Proud
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 56 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Miles Standish Proud »

Thumbs up for Pinky's post: exactly how I see it. The London Stadium and its deficeincies should be someone else's problem. GSB made it ours and tore out the soul of a football club in the process.

goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

Against Burnley I had to use C2C so got the DLR to stratford high st. The walk through the carpenters estate took me exactly 10 minutes to the stadium. Felt quicker than taking the main route from the station. Dunno about return journey because I usually stay behind and have a drink with a couple of mates, so it's all clear then.
topman

Post by topman »

hammerman11 wrote:Wembley was a one off for a cup final. the toilet bowl is for every home game sorry event they hold there with us. its a crap ground for football.
How about internationals ??????????
topman

Post by topman »

psychoscoredthelot wrote:ive given up my ST and i feel its the best decision i have made for a while

the place is toxic

i watched a bit about AFC wimbledon last night and i hope that one day we can do the same - i feel its the only way we will get out identity back
Oh dear...bet you're a joy at Christmas :)
topman

Post by topman »

BostonHammer wrote:Honest question here:

If a Sheik buys us and then buys the stadium and he puts in lots of bathrooms, rehires all the old stewards from the Boleyn on better wages, spends a hundred million quid installing seats closer to the pitch over the summer, implements safe standing, adds more claret and blue decorations and memorializations, and engages with the businesses that used to line green street so they have a place in or near the ground, would people finally be happy or is there anything else I've missed?

Hoping for the above or much of it to occur in my lifetime...only 30 so keeping my fingers crossed.

:thup:
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

topman wrote:How about internationals ??????????
The old Wembley opened 95 years ago. Twenty years back it was well, well passed it's sell by date. Hence the decision was made to bulldoze it.

Sadly we've just started our life in this monstrosity.
topman

Post by topman »

Moxy wrote:Hammerman11 has a right to air his anger. It’s a disgrace what they have done and it’s forums like here that give us FANS a place to complain. I personally feel robbed I gave up after the first season in Stratford after years at the old place and it still angers me. Fair play to ornchurch and H11 for still going it’s our right to support the team and because they go dosent mean they can’t complain about the joke of a stadium we now find ourselves in because of those 3 and their greed. I prefer to watch us in my local club now which show all the games with 4 mates who I used to have season tickets with in chav corner. Can’t believe I would ever type that but never thought the experience of going to watch us would be so bad. Don’t get on the back of the moaners get on the back of the owners.
We all miss you so much.... :lol:
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

“topman” is a top ****...
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

That's a good post there plant, your such a welcome addition to this forum.
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1294 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Sicknote and Pinky on previous page - well said.
Wembley1966
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:and I hope that one day, when the punters stop going en masse, that you will be able to go up to Karren, when she wonders why people have stopped going and say "People always have a choice....
She's going to be wondering quite soon - I know a few people in hospitality (ex box holders at The Boleyn) that are not renewing after their 3-year lock-in. They seem to think that there's going to be quite a few not renewing - not quite en-masse but enough to make a serious dent in revenues especially as the club gets to keep all the hospitality catering revenue. Although that's been diminishing as they now entertain their clients and friends off-site before the match.

The new footbridge next to Forman's going across the canal and then between the primary school and 4g pitch, will be open in time for next season making it a 2 minute walk from there to the relatively quiet bridge 3 security - and beneficial to those that go to Stour Space or TruRib.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1780 likes
Total likes: 2059 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Revealed under the Freedom of Information Act

Tottenham's Olympic Stadium bid

Leyton Orient's bid
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Revealed under the Freedom of Information Act

Tottenham's Olympic Stadium bid

Leyton Orient's bid
A little light reading for any insomniacs out there...... :lol:
Wembley1966
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Got as far as page 6!

ISG were going to manage all sales and marketing, including pricing, the amount of hospitality and on-going customer relations!

However they did state (my highlight):

Shame our lot didn't involve ISG!
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

Who needs ISG when you have GSB you know it makes sense.

What are ISG like on the Razzle Dazzle?
Diogenes
Has liked: 428 likes
Total likes: 1131 likes

Post by Diogenes »

Opinions eh! It may seem strange to some, but I do not miss the Boleyn at all. I have been going since 1964 and I do miss the ground and atmosphere during the sixties, seventies and eighties. Took a bit of a break during the mid nineties (work, kids etc.) but returned in the naughties with kids in tow and it had lost its 'sparkle' for me at least. Kids loved it as they had no comparison.

I voted for the move and have no regrets. I quite like it and ,for me at least, it certainly isnt a s**t hole. The kids (now grown up) also like it. I like the transport links, toilet facilties, better food & drink selection and quality, my view etc. I find the atmosphere no better or worse than the Boleyn of recent history. I find the local pubs actually better.

Downsides - of course I would prefer it closer to pitch, but it doesnt stop my enjoyment, stewards are indeed rubbish and the walk to the ground is a bit souless. I dont mind the security or stop/go signs, although who would want to be a human bollard?

Also, now the quality of football has improved, even the negatives are less of a problem for me.

Each to their own of course and I appreciate I am in the minority on here at least, but I know that many share my views as well. Just trying to provide a bit of balance.

As for GSB, I was here before them and, God willing, will be here when they are gone. Being a West Ham supporter, for me, is both a burdon and a gift and I am willing to bear the former to enjoy the latter.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes

Post by goa127 »

Your feelings are pretty much the same as mine Diogenes and for almost identical reasons. I think the real problem is that fans who don't like the OS REALLY don't like it. For a lot of people it's hell on earth. I don't see it like that at all, but I fully respect their view. Unfortunately the opposite is not always the case, but that's life :)
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes

Post by Vienna »

I think it's great too, I still look forward to going every week and have been going 20 odd years as a sth.
sussexhammer74
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 236 likes

Post by sussexhammer74 »

:thup: post from Pinky. Think he hits the nail on the head with the greed from GSB. £ signs and trample over the punters in the mean time. People are still paying for the tickets, regardless of whether they go or not, regardless of whether they support West Ham or not.

I bet they cant believe the hand they have been dealt. Got out of Birmingham with a profit. World economy collapses, icelandic owners skint and see a premier league club up for sale (cheapish), a stadium up for grabs. Opportunist gits grabbed it with both hands, rinsing it for all its worth, with a view on the near future to sell a ready made package and make a score or two on it (probably a bit more).

The stadium is a world class stadium just not a world class football stadium.

Diogenes, nice to hear a well put view from the other side.
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Seen a few state that it’s a world class stadium now...

I’d like to counter that.

Removing West Ham from the equation, for the money spent on it, it’s bang average.

The Upper Tier is a temporary structure, & the Exterior / Concourse are already loooking shabby & on their way to being run down.

The Corporate bits are on no level comparable to actual “World Class” stadia.

Struggling to think what makes it World Class, aside from the unique Lighting Rig / Setup?