Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Alfiehammer

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Alfiehammer »

Sat in higher parts of 215 (band 5) on Saturday rather then my usual band 4 (203) seat. Noisier, similar view...I'd deffo move. Less toilets. Got a beer with relative ease at half time, although I did miss bubbles for the first time.

Did have a seat I'm bml on Tuesday to try that out in Tuesday, but ended up working and gave it away free to a young hammer in my gym. Liked the view, bad game was his assessment. Want to try east stand next.
Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer »

Kialos wrote:No we don't. We have a limited number of very cheap STs,

The rest are on par with other London clubs and bearing in mind the appalling lack of value for money many of the higher band seats in the upper tiers are they represent some of the most expensive ST seats in London.

More then happy with the price I pay for my band 4 seat, although I must say as per my earlier post, the view from the band 5 isn't much different and a saving of over 100
JCA
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by JCA »

Goa127, I think the "summer stadium" tag stems from the fact that the stadium was originally constructed for a summer Olympics and the "legacy" was for it to continue to be used - albeit partly - for athletics, which again is a summer event.
So I think it's probably true to say that it's design, at least inside the stadium, but outside the viewing arena itself, did not take into account winter use?
TeddyThePug
Has liked: 1 like

Post by TeddyThePug »

I really do think they need to plug the gaps in the concourse roof (the plastic). It would stop the rain falling directly onto the shelving locations (in the west at least) and probably help with the wind tunnel effect it seems to suffer from.
goa127
Has liked: 451 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

I did go to the 2012 Olympics and the whole concourse area has been added since. It was freezing in there Saturday, but I had wrapped up in preparation for the weather. I think people particularly notice it because inside the stadium (upper tier anyway) it's quite sheltered compared to many stadia, including the main stand at U.P. Where my son sits (153) they don't seem to have the problem because the bars are at the back of the lower tier (and the popcorn stand which seems to irritate so many) They also have some screens there.
JCA
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by JCA »

Goa127. We sit upper tier B205, generally head straight up to our seats and don't spend too much time on the lower concourse, probably a tad more shelter once you get upstairs and certainly so in the seats themselves.
It would be good if they could have some refreshment stalls on the upper level, albeit I acknowledge there isn't much space. It might reduce the number of people leaving their seats around the 35 minute mark and not getting back until the 50 minute mark second half because they have to trek all the way down & up again. This exodus is much more pronounced that at U.Park, probably because there are more outlets and options on offer. We make do with a packet of Polos between us!
What we do like if it's cold, wet & windy is walking right round inside the ground and only exiting by the club shop and away.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Theyve got plenty of open air gaps between the concourse roof and wrap as well as token mesh covering which does nothing except maybe stop birds flying in. It's a half arsed job like much of the stadium.
goa127
Has liked: 451 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by goa127 »

I never noticed the big gap until this week when there was rain coming in. That's surely an area that could be improved, although I don't see much chance of it happening while the stadium owners are bleating about costs. Being able to walk round inside the stadium is one of the pluses, it's very rare and great to be able to meet people sitting in other areas. I've got so used to it I forgot it wasn't the same everywhere.
iron lost in space

Post by iron lost in space »

Was my first visit on Saturday to the stadium, don't get much chance to go as live in Burton and run my own business. I sat in block 139, was more than satisfied with the view, but do miss that closeness to the pitch which generates a bit more intensity. Atmosphere was good, getting to and from the ground was easy enough, I parked in Stratford international took 15 minutes to get out then after a fairly clear run home.
Only down side was queuing for 20 min at 1/2 time for a coffee then no milk won't bother next time.
Overall generally enjoyed my experience apart from cold, it was my girlfriends first ever game of football and she really enjoyed it.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Far be it for me to ever defend G&S but as tenants I'm not sure if they'd be allowed to make any, 'not built for Winter', stadium changes. Like they'd wanna spend the money anyway :lol:
Which leaves it the responsibilty of the stadium owners. And why would THEY care or do anything about people freezing?
Perhaps, if our rent does go up & it gives us a greater say, things might improve.
Wouldn't hold my breath on that though.
For now good people, dress for the Arctic.
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

Is there any definitive news on who is taking over stewarding. Get the wrong sort of company and any good feeling that was growing9Slowly) will be out the window
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6759 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Exiledin cardiff wrote:Is there any definitive news on who is taking over stewarding. Get the wrong sort of company and any good feeling that was growing9Slowly) will be out the window

There appeared to be 4 different types of stewarding on Saturday, 1 after the other in different guises/tabards walking down 1 of our aisles being busy doing f*** all. Seemed like the blind leading the blind and a waste of resources.
griff123

Post by griff123 »

upthehammers

Post by upthehammers »

anyone know what that woman was doing with the camcorder in the east stand?
she was filming fans - but seemed to only be filming those who were sitting down?

she had her back to us in 132 but was definitely zooming in on peoples faces sitting down
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

upthehammers wrote:anyone know what that woman was doing with the camcorder in the east stand?
she was filming fans - but seemed to only be filming those who were sitting down?

she had her back to us in 132 but was definitely zooming in on peoples faces sitting down
Was it either of these women?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... itain.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

upthehammers wrote:anyone know what that woman was doing with the camcorder in the east stand?

Is it lawful for anyone other than police to film someone without asking their permission first? Just asking.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

johnnyb wrote:Is it lawful for anyone other than police to film someone without asking their permission first? Just asking.
24 By entering London Stadium, all persons are acknowledging that photographic images and/or video
recordings (and/or stills taken from video recordings) may be taken of them and may also be used, by way of
example and without limitation, in televised coverage of the game or by or on behalf of the Club, the Operator or
any Football Authority (or their commercial partners) for marketing, training or promotional purposes. Entry into
the Ground is confirmation that all persons have consented to such use of their image. If these images should
feature an individual prominently the Club or the Operator will make reasonable efforts to gain the consent of that
person before publishing such images, however, if this is not possible, then entry into the Ground shall be
deemed consent unless the Club and the Operator is notified in writing to the contrary.
https://www.whufc.com/sites/default/fil ... ATIONS.pdf
Kialos
Has liked: 1545 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

Instead of an inflatables day we should have a balaclava day.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I’ve seen her and that photo doesn’t do her any justice. She’s far scarier in real life.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Kialos wrote:Instead of an inflatables day we should have a balaclava day.
Like it!
And then wear 'em backwards!