Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by sutts07 »

^^^ Most likely say it is an amazing stadium and the view is better than he expected but it will never be like the old place.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

sutts07 wrote:^^^ Most likely say it is an amazing stadium and the view is better than he expected but it will never be like the old place.
Well we'll see in a few hours, I really don't know. The trip to see forest was another friend's 60th birthday outing, so we had the meal and posh seats do. His comment then was everything else was good apart from much worse football than he remembered. He wasn't wrong :)
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

goa127 wrote:. His last visit to West Ham that I know of was v Forest under BFS (0-0 bad as it gets).
I seem to recall that was not as bad as it got against Forest. But you're probably talking about visiting a West Ham ground (could probably still dispute).
goa127

Post by goa127 »

Your're right claret, I'm exaggerating, I've seen hundreds of worse performances. I think what I was trying to say was for someone coming on a rare trip to Upton Park a dreary aimless 0-0 against a mid-table championship team, was probably not rekindling old memories of hurst, moore and peters. :)
goa127

Post by goa127 »

sutts07 wrote:^^^ Most likely say it is an amazing stadium and the view is better than he expected but it will never be like the old place.
yeah, you were more or less right Sutts. He thought the stadium was an amazing place, but totally different from the Boleyn. He didn't have any complaints about the walk, but thought the atmosphere a bit flat. Anyone who was at the game would agree with that, but it was kinda what I expected. he also expressed surprise that so many people turned out on a cold Tuesday night for a game against Cardiff
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

good support from Cardiff same numbers as city but completely different teams !

atmosphere was hit and miss I felt. good in parts.

Bovril was good !

walk after the match is ok if you stop off for one in carpenters on way home !

half time non entertainment is poor. can we not have a military band or something rather than the stupid game !

pre match music needs a revamp how about some neil diamond, earth wind and fire etc to get us singing and in the mood. also that heavy metal number they play at german league matches , heavy bass. I forget its name. tubular bells for the older fans !
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

The searches are the worst.....pointless and delay everything
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

Marky wrote:The searches are the worst.....pointless and delay everything
Got asked to take my beanie off which was tight round my head. When I asked what I could possibly have underneath, I was told “a gun”...
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

Last night as we got towards the front of the queue a group of young chavs were trying to jib around the side, avoiding both queuing and being searched. The stewards didn't search me or look in Mrs Coops bag as they were distracted.

Ok me and the Mrs were not smuggling in anything dodgy but that is actually a classic diversionary tactic used to draw security guards attention. I still maintain that anybody could get anything in there with just a small amount of pre planning.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

I was asked by my searcher if I had anything under my cap. I said only my head. He said ok and let ne through.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Anyone know where the minutes from the SAG meetings for this season can be found?

The minutes from 4th September, 2nd October and 28th October meetings were published on Newham's website but they have now disappeared:
https://www.newham.gov.uk/Pages/Service ... cence.aspx
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

Searches yesterday were a joke. Took forever but very u=ineffectual. Full body pat down, then a wand bleeping like hell but no further investigation. Funniest thing was a holding an A4 size padded package out in my hand as they were searching me, didn't even notice.
goa127

Post by goa127 »

The criticism of the searches appears to be a bit scattergun. Some are complaining at being searched at all, others that the search is not strict enough (while complaining at the delay). We'd all be happier if we didn't have to be searched at all but I have to accept that it's probably a wise move. Of course it wouldn't stop a military style attack but little would. The bridge I use, I think it's 5, only takes a few minutes
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

Got a free beer yesterday, at half time :scarfer:

I walked up to the bar, asked for 3 lagers and paid for 3 lagers, then took one of those cardboard beer holder thingys in preperation for the 3 beers.

Then the guy behind me asked for 1 lager and paid for 1 lager.

Whilst this was going on my first beer was being poured, then about 10 seconds later, the guy behind me got all arsey and said to the server, 'I've paid for a beer, where's my beer?' This was just as my 1st one was being passed to the server. Guy behind me says 'Is that my beer?' to which the server replies, 'no, it's his' whilst trying to give me said beer. I just said 'mate if you're in rush, take that one, as I've ordered 3' he then walked off with my beer, without saying thanks or anything.

Then the server, put 4 lagers in my cardboard thingy, and said 'there you go, 3 lagers'
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Its the searches that get my goat the most at the new place. If you arrive 30 minutes before kick off then it takes too long
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

Row X wrote:Got a free beer yesterday, at half time :scarfer:

I walked up to the bar, asked for 3 lagers and paid for 3 lagers, then took one of those cardboard beer holder thingys in preperation for the 3 beers.

Then the guy behind me asked for 1 lager and paid for 1 lager.

Whilst this was going on my first beer was being poured, then about 10 seconds later, the guy behind me got all arsey and said to the server, 'I've paid for a beer, where's my beer?' This was just as my 1st one was being passed to the server. Guy behind me says 'Is that my beer?' to which the server replies, 'no, it's his' whilst trying to give me said beer. I just said 'mate if you're in rush, take that one, as I've ordered 3' he then walked off with my beer, without saying thanks or anything.

Then the server, put 4 lagers in my cardboard thingy, and said 'there you go, 3 lagers'
Sounds like a right nice bloke hope it was a bad pint and gave him the two bob bits.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Rugby in March, Saracens v Harlequins:

https://www.london-stadium.com/top-stor ... march-2019
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

WestHamIFC wrote:Rugby in March, Saracens v Harlequins:

https://www.london-stadium.com/top-stor ... march-2019
That cannot be good for the pitch.
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

Regarding away fans in the home seats...

27th January 1987. WHU 1 Spurs 1. League Cup.Qtr Final.

I had the misfortune to sit in the West Stand Upper. Usually I would have gone in the North Bank...

Plenty of Spurs up there, so nothing much changes does it?!

We repaid the compliment by default for the replay. Stuck in traffic, (A10??) coming up from down south. We had the whole end but our lot had no tickets, so we got in the Paxton, stuck behiond a pylon. Lost 5-0 and didn't seen one goal!
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

According to 'the site that shall not be named', West Ham have confirmed they plan to sell 2,000 half season tickets from the extra capacity they received with an extra 1,000 tickets going on general sale. The first game with 60,000 is scheduled to be against Brighton on 2nd January 2019 subject to safety certificate approval