Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2175 likes
Total likes: 1378 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by bonzosbeard »

Watching France v Scotland. I know I bang on about this but unbelievable that there is a full athletics track under those stands that have rolled out over the track.
bonzosbeard

Post by bonzosbeard »

The upper tiers are right up close
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

But the retractable seating was incorporated into the original design of the stadium. They didn’t take an already built stadium and then make the lower tiers start moving backwards and forwards.

We were never going to have something similar at the OS.
e-20
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by e-20 »

James P wrote:But the retractable seating was incorporated into the original design of the stadium. They didn’t take an already built stadium and then make the lower tiers start moving backwards and forwards.

We were never going to have something similar at the OS.
The actual,distances are not much different between the two we did a study before the OS re opened. It's deceptive a bit better in one direction a bit worse in the other between them, it's the curves, rake and the fact that the advertising hordings have to be further back at the OS, not to mention the upper tiers suffering from the overall shape that gives the impression it's far worse a comparison than it actually is. Only when you see it from above do you realise how the optical illusion works against the London Stadium.
Kialos
Has liked: 1548 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

fmgod wrote:Image

This is such an MLS thing

Not a bad idea but in the wrong place, just caused an almighty crush.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

The band they have playing outside the east stand in the upstairs of that mobile beer stall is pretty decent
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by Jon »

The area outside the Billy Bonds was good fun before the game. Carlton, Collinson and Harewood leading the chants from one of the bars.

When the weather's kind it has a good feel to it.
Estuary
Has liked: 350 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Estuary »

bonzosbeard wrote:Watching France v Scotland. I know I bang on about this but unbelievable that there is a full athletics track under those stands that have rolled out over the track.
I have watched England play Rugby there and the perspective from the upper seating isn't great, you're closer to the pitch of course but I felt like I was leaning over to watch the game, it is very very steep and we were only two or three rows from the front.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 542 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Admittedly the Stade de France is a hell of a lot better than the London Stadium in terms of being fit for Football but it is still far from ideal...

Amazingly, our lower tier is actually closer at some points...

The biggest difference is obviously the way they blend the lower and upper tiers. The ridiculous position of the giant screens cut off a large chunk of the upper tier in London and make that very difficult to do.
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

i actually think the atmosphere would be better at the OS if the seats were left in Athletics mode, so no gap between upper and lower.
Stands would be connected, no stupid trampolines and fans will fell together.
bonzosbeard

Post by bonzosbeard »

Sutts that's a great comparison picture and am quite surprised.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Ticketing strategy and migration:

LBN require in writing the timeline for implementation of the colour
coding ticket system to alleviate the MPS concerns. WH (Ben Illingworth) added that the club will be looking toreissue season tickets for the 2019/2020 season with the new colour coding system. New season
tickets will be out roughly in March and being issued and sent out in July 2019. Following WHU
discussions with their head of ticketing it has been suggested that LBN be brought in for consultation
with WH sharing their plan and timeline for the Council to review, along with the wording for the long
distance tickets. SRO (Chair) reminded the club that the preference is for 8 different colour zones. LBN
require this in writing along with timelines for implementation. It was noted that LS185 already have a
plan for the North South divide in place for high risk games.
That's why the club are printing new season tickets.

https://www.newham.gov.uk/Documents/Bus ... 0Dec18.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Something that doesn't get any discussion is the Dugouts. Should we consider having those portable Dugouts that's closer to the action for all staff and players or keep it as it is?

My feeling is I wouldn't mind us trialling it for a bit to see how the team fairs.
HighWycombeHammer

Post by HighWycombeHammer »

Colours never run wrote:Something that doesn't get any discussion is the Dugouts. Should we consider having those portable Dugouts that's closer to the action for all staff and players or keep it as it is?

My feeling is I wouldn't mind us trialling it for a bit to see how the team fairs.
If they moved closer to the pitch would they obstruct the fans behind them? Do not know but probably a bit.
Jonah
Has liked: 639 likes
Total likes: 544 likes

Post by Jonah »

Yep it will, certainly the front 5 rows of the lower west.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

It's a fair point it would effect some fans view of part of the pitch. Would fans accept it if there was an upturn in results?

Other Stadiums have gone down this route and wondered if it was something worth exploring.
Denzil
Has liked: 356 likes
Total likes: 524 likes

Post by Denzil »

Colours never run wrote:It's a fair point it would effect some fans view of part of the pitch. Would fans accept it if there was an upturn in results?

Other Stadiums have gone down this route and wondered if it was something worth exploring.
I don't sit there but I would assume not. I'd not accept an obstructed view if I had a seat in the 5th row!
danny faithless
Total likes: 1 like

Post by danny faithless »

mywhufc wrote:i actually think the atmosphere would be better at the OS if the seats were left in Athletics mode, so no gap between upper and lower.
Stands would be connected, no stupid trampolines and fans will fell together.
Has always been my suspicion that in the not too distant future that it will be left in athletics mode. A bit more fan cleansing first though....
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

Just read that QPR are considering a move to the former Linford Christie athletics stadium and converting it to football. The cost...£425m with a retractable roof.
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

Westbourne Bill wrote:Just read that QPR are considering a move to the former Linford Christie athletics stadium and converting it to football. The cost...£425m with a retractable roof.
Might as well knock it down and build a new stadium on top of it.