Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

BromleyHammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by BromleyHammer »

But what about the athletics legacy? We can't miss out on having Brendon Foster drooling over some average British athlete in front of 25,000 spectators? Think of the children!
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

Antwerp_Lad wrote:After seeing what the Russians did with the Luzhniki stadium in Moscow I wished we could just buy the ground itself and do the same. Imagine going from this
That is the answer.
Ben

Post by Ben »

Didn't realise it was knocked down though, the way it was done could work though, keep the top tier, Gut the middle and of the stadium
And re-do
The original stadium was demolished in 2013 to give a way for construction of new stadium. The self-supported cover was retained. The facade wall was retained as well, due to its architectural value and later was reconnected to a new building. Construction of the new stadium is expected to be complete by 2017
Antwerp_Lad
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Antwerp_Lad »

Yeah, it was pretty extreme, they basically gutted the entire ground.
Hardly realistic for that to happen here, but one can dream ;)

http://i.imgur.com/D06dDMO.jpg
Last edited by Up the Junction on Mon May 22, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image too large, changed to link.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Ben wrote:That is the answer.

It shows a solution can be achieved if the will and money is there to do it.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Where do we go for 4 years whilst they rebuild it?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Your namesake. It seems to suit everyone else in London. The precedents been set.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

njmacleod wrote:I've never understood why they don't have programme sellers inside the stadium (if they do then I've never seen them!).
I was hunting for a while at the Liverpool game, Eventually discovered I'd have to go to the stand outside the stadium (at entrance H).

When I tried to do this, I was told by the steward on the door that if I leave the stadium, I won't be allowed back in.

(That's probably the kindest thing a steward over there has ever said to me.)
leveller

Post by leveller »

Ben wrote:That is the answer.
Of course it is, nothing like that will ever happen under G&S though because above all else it would mean they had admitted that the move had been an unmitigated f*** up.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

As fantastic, and as required, as it is to gut the stands and rebuild them closer to the pitch, not only would they never do it, it would also render their "amazing" roof useless as half the stands would be uncovered again.

It would give us a wonderful amount of space in the concourses mind you.
HarlowEssexHammer
Total likes: 60 likes

Post by HarlowEssexHammer »

Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

^^^ Someone's got an agenda publicising this today. This was all detailed in the Concession Agreement and the agreement between E20 and L185 published last year.

2 weeks ago in the Gold & Sullivan thread:
http://kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2 ... 0#p4962705
Ben wrote:who pays council tax, electric bills, broadband, water bills etc for the stadium?
Wembley1966 wrote:We would pay the council business rates and the utility bills for our offices and shop at the stadium and our own broadband bills. For the rest of the stadium, E20 Stadium Partnership (stadium owner) pay the business rates and LS185 (the stadium operator) pay the utilities.
Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Post by Believer »

HammerMan2004 wrote:As fantastic, and as required, as it is to gut the stands and rebuild them closer to the pitch, not only would they never do it, it would also render their "amazing" roof useless as half the stands would be uncovered again.

It would give us a wonderful amount of space in the concourses mind you.
If they could transfer the stadium like these images show then I'm sure that they could extend the roof as well.

I'm sure that had we offered to pay some of the rebuild then something like that could've been achieved. Would have taken a lot of money and design but the upgrades to what we have now weren't exactly cheap
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

Anyone been to Podium bar to the left of the stadium when coming from the Stratford station. Never normally go that way but thought it was fantastic. In the beer garden overlooking the canal in the sunshine enjoying the beer with a 2 minute walk to the stadium. Definitely a place for next season.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

coyi27 wrote:Anyone been to Podium bar to the left of the stadium when coming from the Stratford station. Never normally go that way but thought it was fantastic. In the beer garden overlooking the canal in the sunshine enjoying the beer with a 2 minute walk to the stadium. Definitely a place for next season.
Ive always said it's a warm weather stadium, the QE2 park is very nice to visit in the summer
WoodfordJnr

Post by WoodfordJnr »

coyi27 wrote:Anyone been to Podium bar to the left of the stadium when coming from the Stratford station. Never normally go that way but thought it was fantastic. In the beer garden overlooking the canal in the sunshine enjoying the beer with a 2 minute walk to the stadium. Definitely a place for next season.
They trialed the pint glasses that fill up from the bottom in there .. brilliant idea, but you are subject to someone releasing your pint from the bottom... which has happened to me four times now and it is never funny ... although my friends have found it hilarious.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Pop Robson wrote:Ive always said it's a warm weather stadium, the QE2 park is very nice to visit in the summer
Only eleven months til our next summer fixture there! :thup:
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Anything confirmed yet re 1st home game heard anything from 3-9 weeks ?
Ben

Post by Ben »

bubbles500 wrote:Anything confirmed yet re 1st home game heard anything from 3-9 weeks ?
as far as I know there has never been a single word on this from the club?
just leaving us to work it out for ourselves until the fixtures come out I guess
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

WoodfordJnr wrote:
They trialed the pint glasses that fill up from the bottom in there .. brilliant idea, but you are subject to someone releasing your pint from the bottom... which has happened to me four times now and it is never funny ... although my friends have found it hilarious.
Don't pint glasses always fill up from the bottom due to gravity (non specific)?