Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by hammerman11 »

so they are saying we should forget the contract signed and pay more to be good citizens ! no way . its a business and for once brady and co are right to stick up for west ha, imagine it the other way round.
retractable seating should go and we should put up with the athletics track pushing seats further back from the pitch and they will give us the extra 9000 seats right at the back of the upper tier. no way will we take that one, thankyou.

I say we continue to screw them as this is their shot at getting out of it all. play hardball then make a west ham offer to solve the problems.

1. we buy the bowl for a one off payment that covers their losses over last 3 years and gives a profit of 60m to them. so around 75m.

2. we make a payment to support athletics away from the stadium at the national athletics stadium at birmingham say 10m.

3. west ham have exclusive rights and costs for all policing, sponsorship, catering for the stadium and surrounding concourse. This becomes 100% west ham from now on

4. we install permanent seating over the athletics track at our cost. 10m.

5. we are licenced for all seats up to 66k should we need it.

6. no more restrictions on xmas fixtures away from home due to westfield shoppers !

This way they get their money and a profit as best deal for taxpayer rather than 100m`s debt that they forecast. we get the bowl and no more athletcs.

This would require gsb paying around 100m for the bowl !

If they dont agree let them rot in hell and we can screw them. If they get what they want then I wont be going anymore along with loads of people. its bad now but would be unbearable then.
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

Those 3 would never dream of paying 100m for this karzi of a stadium, it’s job done in their eyes now just waiting to sell, they’ve put as little as possible while taking out as much as they can the parasites.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

hammerman11 wrote:If they dont agree let them rot in hell and we can screw them. If they get what they want then I wont be going anymore along with loads of people. its bad now but would be unbearable then.
Problem is we're the ones "rotting in hell" and we're the ones "being screwed over" ....

Ultimately the stadium is owned by the GLA ... the GLA have a revenue of 12 billion pounds a year, let's be honest to think we can "screw them" over 10m a year is just cloud-cookoo-land thinking ....

The only reason they take any notice at all of the goings on at the LS is the amount of media and social network coverage it receives .... and therein lies the problem ....

Imagine you are the major of London, the mighty Sadiq Khan, you dream that one day you will be PM ....

Now in your back yard you have a few dozen football clubs including a certain West Ham Utd, they occupy the totally unfit-for-purpose stadium that Boris, Lord Coe, and the LLDC dumped in your lap ... people are clamoring for you to do something about it, so do you:

A - Take note of a few thousand West Ham fans who want you to right off 600m and give them the stadium on the cheap .... or

B - Do nothing and hope West Ham Utd and it's fans get bored and stop complaining and that everyone just forgets about it .... or

C - Take note of the 8m Londoners (and 60m UK voters) who rightly or wrongly believe West Ham were given 'The Deal of the Century' so rather than give the LS to WHU for nothing, you should in fact make WHU pay a whole lot more ....

If you were a politician seeking to make yourself more popular with the largest number of people ... which option would you choose?
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

From Thursday's Evening Standard. Ellen E Jones Column

At least Spurs have kept the spiritual home
The construction of Spurs’ new stadium drags on, the costs rise but local residents still have no real reason to grumble. I know because until recently I lived on White Hart Lane and my address is now in Upton Park, a few streets from West Ham’s Boleyn Ground. Or rather, what was West Ham’s ground before the club relocated to the Olympic Stadium in Stratford, seeing off a rival bid from Spurs in the process.

So what’s it like living in the Hammers’ hollowed-out heart? There’s less public drunkenness, the parking is easier and you no longer have to plan weekends around match days — yet something important has been lost. That’s palpable even to someone like me — by which I mean someone who doesn’t know her offside from her backside.

I may not be fussed about football but I’m interested in community spirit and local history and a London team’s historical home ground is that rare, magical space where the two intersect.

So while it’s costly and inconvenient, Spurs fans can be proud that the club have kept their team where they belong.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

True ^ but Tottenham has always and will always be a khazi too. Stratford : the Olympic Park / the canals towards Hackney wick for all it’s so called lack of soul and personality is definitely vibrant and affluent and in places actually quite nice. There’s a mixture of everything and room for improvement too and developments always happening. Inside the stadium isn’t ideal but the surrounding area isn’t really the problem.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

The yearly walk to & from Seven Sisters is genuinely one of the most horrible & grim trots imaginable. Sign posts that you’re near the ground include tooled up coppers on the roofs of nondescript buildings.

For most of them, their “heartland” is the safety of being back closer to Ikea or Blackhorse Road.

I’d genuinely rather have Hackney Wick than that.
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

lets get the bowl rocking for today. lets smash these on the pitch and show them what real support is about.

hackney wick is good, carpenters is good. just the walk to the stadium that is not. hopefully when they buy the bowl it will change for the good.

anyway today is about the football. lets stop the moaning for one day and enjoy beating these slags !
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

e17 wrote:The yearly walk to & from Seven Sisters is genuinely one of the most horrible & grim trots imaginable. Sign posts that you’re near the ground include tooled up coppers on the roofs of nondescript buildings.

For most of them, their “heartland” is the safety of being back closer to Ikea or Blackhorse Road.

I’d genuinely rather have Hackney Wick than that.
Why would you even contemplate the walk from seven sisters , with all the closer stations to the lane available?
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

sicknote wrote:Why would you even contemplate the walk from seven sisters , with all the closer stations to the lane available?
The Spurs STH cousins live there mate.

Probably only way they can afford the ST these days!
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 844 likes

Post by mushy »

Georgee Paris wrote: but the surrounding area isn’t really the problem.
Its exactly the problem for me, you can have your canal walks and your leafy gardens.
Give me the edginess, vibrancy and history of Upton Park every day of the week.
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

mushy wrote: Its exactly the problem for me, you can have your canal walks and your leafy gardens.
Give me the edginess, vibrancy and history of Upton Park every day of the week.
Well as has been said countless times before... that’s gone. And unless someone finds a field surrounded by houses and a church and a few pubs... won’t ever be around again... bet you though the Olympic Park today would probably look as familiar to those that were around when the Boleyn was first built... think it would have been quite a lot less edgy... probably more leafy gardens back then... what it became when we left will be the same as the area in 100 years - totally different.
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

.., I’m sure it would be quite interesting to look at the site of the Boleyn before the stadium was built and the surrounding areas. Sure there is probably some old maps about.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

That's a very good point georgee, Upton Park was a leafy suburb then. Wasn't the land known as the potato field. Anyway don't understand why these spuds are such big favourites today. Looks very even game to me. COYI
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things- ... eaflet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1890 - flocks of sheep wandering around... proper West Ham edginess :D
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

Georgee Paris wrote:True ^ but Tottenham has always and will always be a khazi too. Stratford : the Olympic Park / the canals towards Hackney wick for all it’s so called lack of soul and personality is definitely vibrant and affluent and in places actually quite nice. There’s a mixture of everything and room for improvement too and developments always happening. Inside the stadium isn’t ideal but the surrounding area isn’t really the problem.
I get what you're saying, and if I'm out with the family for lunch, or looking for a nice Sunday stroll ... fair enough ... but this is football ... knowing your own manor, walking into the oppositions back yard, that's all part of the game ...

The whole 'aura' around Upton Park was intimidating, and to be honest Tottenham has a similar feel ... not threatening in a physical way (most of the time), but just a bit edgy ... that's was all part of the build up to the game ...

The build up at the LS is just so sanitised, it's an effort not a pleasure ...

With luck as more development takes place this might change ... we can but hope
Georgee Paris

Post by Georgee Paris »

Football - the game usually played in fields. :thup: but I do know what you are saying... perhaps we should move to pitsea or canvey island.
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

goa127 wrote:That's a very good point georgee, Upton Park was a leafy suburb then. Wasn't the land known as the potato field.
What? So you mean there's a reason Forest Gate is called 'Forest Gate'? :shock:
hammerman11

Post by hammerman11 »

its the surrounding area that needs the west ham feel to it to improve. no ribman or LLTB seller yesterday. so no local traders. no old programme sellers no market stall merchandise sellers. no soul to the place.
just a west ham event staged at the bowl.

got challenged by a steward as I walked into 125. she said where is your ticket. I said I am a member its on my card. showed her my phone with ticket numbers on it. she said that's not good enough. I just walked past her and told her I have been here 3 years I don't have time for your crap. walked off with the wife expecting the response squad to stop us. they didn't but wat a state of affairs after 3 years at the dump.

I hate the place but it is all we have now. hopefully they will buy it and things may change. I doubt I will be back for year 4 at the bowl.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

A steward not understanding that a members match ticket is loaded onto their card? Blimey that’s a pretty shocking basic level of ignorance.
Dwight1970
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by Dwight1970 »

Maybe it is an age thing or just something some of us end up conditioned to feel like that we constantly look back through rose tinted spectacles to think that when something changes it has been for the worse.

Personally football has never given me more happiness than it did as an eight year old when everything about West Ham in the late 70's just filled me with awe and excitement, oh for football to make me feel like that again but was that because it was better or the main reason was just I was 8 years old?

I see so many parallels in this in the country from food to Brexit in that when you take you rose tinted spectacles to look at something you realise everything changes like it has always done and there a plenty of people happy with those changes whereas often a sizeable number of number of people who are resistant because they wish to hang on to feelings and thoughts that have long gone like me being 8 year old West Ham fan.

The reason I say this is that I think for some of us no matter what happened we would felt felt like that even if we had stayed at Upton Park where we would have blamed the Premier League for the football and the local population for the closing pubs and changing environment so for some of us the move was always going to be difficult.

As I finally accept for some watching West Ham at the London Stadium is actually a good experience and that the Boleyn Ground is gone forever so rather than look it negatively I am now trying to look at it constructively rather than destructively as being exampled by Brexit generally does not solve anything.

We can all have answers but very few have solutions, this is in no way should excuse the owners who whether due to greed or incompetence have come nowhere there delivering on the statements made in order to sell the move to the fan-base to a Stadium that is fundamentally flawed as a football viewing facility and an admission on this from them would a good start for us to look at how we can improve things there.