Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

cornishiron
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Re: Anyone know how the Cockney Rejects feel about our move?

Post by cornishiron »

This thread reconfirms why I love West Ham.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Re: Anyone know how the Cockney Rejects feel about our move?

Post by Jumby »

cornishiron wrote:This thread reconfirms why I love West Ham.
:scarfer:
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Albie Beck »

It was the triangle west of Manor Road between West Ham station down to opposite Gainsborough Rd and across to the gasholders.
finhammer

Post by finhammer »

Coming over for the Sunderland game, first game at the Olympic Stadium. I´ve got a few questions. I won a ticket through the ballot. Does it mean the ticket is uploaded to the membership card and I don´t need to collect tickets from stadiums ticket office? Probably coming from Hackney Wick way, are the pubs like Crate, Howling Hops and Plough full before matches, any chance of getting a beer there and how long is the walk to the stadium from those pubs? Any other recommended pubs that way or near Pudding Mill Lane?
@dave_boy
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by @dave_boy »

finhammer wrote:Coming over for the Sunderland game, first game at the Olympic Stadium. I´ve got a few questions. I won a ticket through the ballot. Does it mean the ticket is uploaded to the membership card and I don´t need to collect tickets from stadiums ticket office? Probably coming from Hackney Wick way, are the pubs like Crate, Howling Hops and Plough full before matches, any chance of getting a beer there and how long is the walk to the stadium from those pubs? Any other recommended pubs that way or near Pudding Mill Lane?
On your membership card (so I'm led to believe).

The TruRib club on Stour Road is your Hackney Wick friend. 10 minutes walk to the stadium from there. £5 entrance fee includes your first pint.
finhammer

Post by finhammer »

[/quote]

On your membership card (so I'm led to believe).

The TruRib club on Stour Road is your Hackney Wick friend. 10 minutes walk to the stadium from there. £5 entrance fee includes your first pint.[/quote]

Thanks for the info. TruRib sounds good, have to check that out.
trick88

Post by trick88 »

finhammer wrote:
Thanks for the info. TruRib sounds good, have to check that out.
There's not much near Pudding Mill lane would have to walk a bit further out towards Stratford high street, the two closest that way are the Carpenters Arms or the Builders Arms. If it's your first time to the stadium get there as early as you can, they now sell beer just outside the ground and inside plenty more options than there were at the Boleyn Ground.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 130 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Fin - Howling Hops no problem getting a beer (but they're 2/3rds of a pint with a £1 deposit on your plastic glass); the Crate has a bit of a queue but if it's dry they have a pop-up bar outside (just serving IPA, larger & cider) and they also open their "Brew-Shed" on matchdays in Queens Yard selling beers. They're a 2 minute walk from Hackney Wick station and a 5-10 minute walk to the ground. The Plough is about a 10 minute walk from the station and a 5 minute walk to the ground with not much queuing. Or TruRib as mentioned.

If your ticket is not loaded onto your card, there's also a ticket office between turnstiles H and J that has much smaller queues than the main one by the shop.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1858 likes
Total likes: 2107 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

It doesn't really warrant t thread of its own so here is the closest I can think of.

The Parliamentary Culture, Media and Sport Committee is live now on Freeview 131 (BBC Parliament channel), delving into football governance for those that are interested.
HHCD

Post by HHCD »

64misser wrote:Looks like they are struggling to sell the Chelsea tickets - a friend of mine (ex-Member from 2-3 years ago) got a text from the booking office offering tickets. They must be scraping through old membership lists...
West Upper blocks 207,208,209 look 80% unsold....not surprised considering the crazy prices.
107,108,109 Boleyn Bar...loads unsold...Brady's UEFA Cat 4 Lounges look to be half empty for the biggest game at Stratford so far.. :hush:
Red Kens Slave

Post by Red Kens Slave »

Newham Council might bring a firm then. :wink:
Gunz412

Post by Gunz412 »

Dagdave wrote:It was always mooted that west ham would build a new stadium at west ham on the land of the old post office sorting office don’t quite know were that was .but think it was on the piece of land on the other side of the station
That idea came from the Egg Man before Iceland went bankrupt. They went as far as negotiating a fee for the land but the cost to dismantle the gasometers and clean the contaminated land was more than the cost of building the stadium.

It is also worth noting that he was banking on the original plan to dismantle the Olympic stadium and was hoping to buy some of the upper tier sections and move them a few miles south.
Bonkers or ingenious! Either way if it did happen then it is possible we would still have the same problem we have now unless the sections could have been put together in such a way as to increase the gradient.
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

HHCD wrote: West Upper blocks 207,208,209 look 80% unsold....not surprised considering the crazy prices.
107,108,109 Boleyn Bar...loads unsold...Brady's UEFA Cat 4 Lounges look to be half empty for the biggest game at Stratford so far.. :hush:
358 quid. Hahahahaha. That's a pretty decent joke. Like it.

How on earth do they expect to sell any tickets when 90% of those available in those sections are 150-358 quid? Hardly any have been reduced to the (still a bit steep) 65 quid. Japesters.
reo_coker20
One line wonder
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by reo_coker20 »

Not been to any of the pubs near the ground yet but got a few friends coming there first game this season on Saturday, what's the best pub to drink in atmosphere wise want plenty of singing
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

reo_coker20 wrote:Not been to any of the pubs near the ground yet but got a few friends coming there first game this season on Saturday, what's the best pub to drink in atmosphere wise want plenty of singing
Carpenters Arms is a good'un mate. ****hole, in a ****hole, but it's our ****hole right.
reo_coker20
One line wonder
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by reo_coker20 »

Where is that, i come in from Hackney wick i walk past the bars there but there not proper football pubs so just go into ground
arlhe
Has liked: 240 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

Carpenter's road. South east of the stadium. Five minute walk
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

Please Stay over the poncey Wick side Carpenters is packed enough as it is.

Thanks.
West Ham Thistle

Post by West Ham Thistle »

I'm finally making it to my first home game of the season this Saturday.

I need to be at Euston to catch the 18:30 back to Glasgow. I was planning on taking the train from Stratford Int to St Pancras and then walking over to Euston. Is this too ambitious given the queues after the game?
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

reo_coker20 wrote:Where is that, i come in from Hackney wick i walk past the bars there but there not proper football pubs so just go into ground
A good 20 minutes walk from that side.