Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Fishbone

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Fishbone »

What time is the 'happy hour' before the game? Is it still up to 1 hour before kick off?
Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Huddersfield it was up to 30 minutes before kick-off.
Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer »

Felt like a lot of empty seats today, specially given the opposition. No chance we need all 67,000

Also seem to have different faces around us every game- clearly not a lot of regular ST holders attending week on week...
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

Last week I was told I couldn't take a bottle of water into the ground unless I allowed the steward to remove the lid. (I refused, went to another queue and got it in - as I have at every single game since we moved).
This week I bought a bottle of coke from an outlet inside the cordon, with the lid left on it, so could easily take it into the ground.
My search today consisted of a quick waft down my front with the wand.
On Tuesday it was a cursory pat of my trousers.
At the Huddersfield game it was thorough.
The stewards don't know what they're looking for (I've asked them several times).
Bags should be checked (although my experience of bag checks at away grounds when I often take a rucksack is that they aren't exactly thorough), anyone they consider risk or suspicious should be checked, other checks should be random but most of the searches are so inconsistent they are just to be seen to be doing something.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Alfiehammer wrote:Felt like a lot of empty seats today, specially given the opposition. No chance we need all 67,000

Also seem to have different faces around us every game- clearly not a lot of regular ST holders attending week on week...
We had 2 good seats on ticket trader no takers, so 2 empty seats there

There were plenty available on ticket trader for almost every block too
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 31 likes

Post by costa75 »

Alfiehammer wrote:Felt like a lot of empty seats today, specially given the opposition. No chance we need all 67,000
Tell that to the people I know who are on the waiting list.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 520 likes
Total likes: 1313 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Hope all our boys are OK. News says a group injured in an acid attack at Stratford Station.
MD_HM
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Post by MD_HM »

This comment was removed by a moderator because it failed to abide by our community standards. For more details, please refer to the Forum Terms of Use. Replies may also be deleted.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... enham-News" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Voted 2nd worst stadium in the PL by Express Sport.

Personally I prefer Turf Moor.
The Boleyn Hound

Post by The Boleyn Hound »

Doc H Ball wrote:http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... enham-News" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Voted 2nd worst stadium in the PL by Express Sport.

Personally I prefer Turf Moor.
And puts Old Trafford as the best stadium in the country. "Fearsome atmosphere" apparently!

Daily Express is pure clickbait.

Load of bollo**s if you ask me. Atmosphere yesterday at our place was rocking, especially for a 12:30.
Last edited by The Boleyn Hound on Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 750 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

great atmosphere yesterday but then it should be against that lot and an excitig game. shame we couldnt quite get the 3rd goal.

the stadium itself feels cheap and not complete. The concourse is horrible with no thought that people wil want a beer and a pint at half time. a few shelves have finally been put up but still the TVs do not show anything on them. why not show sky on them like the early part of last season.

DJ and his music uninspiring

had a girl with a chelsea rucksack sat near me ! plenty of day trippers in the TBL.
griff123

Post by griff123 »

Guy in front of me had obviously invited his spurs mate who was in his 50's as he got his phone out of his pocket to film a spurs corner.....me and another guy next to me went ape! Have a bit of common sense! The guy was apologetic but as I said to his West ham mate, he should know better!
Disgraceful behaviour from both the spurs fan and his West ham mate for not pulling him up himself!
steps
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by steps »

Anyone else get caught up in the queue on the bridge by the left of the Orbit / Aquatics Centre? Absolute chaos trying to get into the ground a good 20 minutes before kick off.

When Bubbles started to play people were just surging forward and the security decided to let people through without searching them. Absolute shambles.

Got to my seat at 12:37 having left the pub at 12pm.

They need to give this new searching system a rethink, as the majority of football fans won't want to get to the ground 1hr before kick off like they advise.

Having said that I thought leaving Stratford town centre with half and hour to get to the game would be ample time, obviously it wasn't.
Disco

Post by Disco »

Seemed like a decent atmosphere in there yesterday. I watched the game on tv and many times the noise came across well. Did those who attended feel the same?
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

Left Trumans Hackney Wick just after 12 noon. Through the security gate with ease, no queue at all around 12:15pm. Magic wand waved and bleeped but not challenged. Came from Westfield couple of hours earlier via the stadium at another security check where I was zapped and bleeped, full check of contents of emptied pockets. Hit and miss (hopefully not missing anything dodgy!)
Straight in through the empty turnstiles. Much better experience than last season. Only issue yesterday was watching one steward dealing with our stairwell entrance. Need at least two, he was overworked stopping idiots trying to take beer to their seats. Also when it went 2-3 loads came piling back in and the stairway exit was totally blocked. The solitary steward was powerless to prevent the blockage of the exit and the view blocking of those adjacent.
Last edited by Corney Beal on Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steps
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by steps »

Last two games before yesterday I've drank in Trumans and gone to the ground via the South Steps and had no trouble at all.

Gonna stick to that I think.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1514 likes
Total likes: 3174 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Enjoyed the atmosphere the two times i've been this season.

Been high up but in line with the halfway line and thought the view was excellent, much better than my Wembley playoff final tickets. I've been to the Emirates once, behind the goal and at the top, and felt like I wasn't at the game

There's problems with the stadium (although if they ask you to come early and you then get there close to kick off, don't moan if you're let in late) but I am beginning to like it more
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 805 likes
Total likes: 3022 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The security checks are a waste of time and add nothing but grief .

Yesterday it took 47 minutes from getting off the train at Stratford to entering the stadium at Gate B .

Just as we went over the main bridge on to the Island their was some idiot with a loud haler announcing the route ahead was closed and we had to use another bridge , which meant circumnavigating another large chunk of the park .

We eventually reached another "access point" where we queued for the search .

What used to be the highlight of my week has now turned in to an utter utter chore .
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

steps wrote:Last two games before yesterday I've drank in Trumans and gone to the ground via the South Steps and had no trouble at all.

Gonna stick to that I think.
What's the post code for this place?

Column on prem footy grounds is ridiculous. What on earth is its criteria? The most contradictory 'rank' I've ever seen.

Slags off the OS atmosphere then puts the Emirates in the top 3.

Would be great to see everyone's view points on here on the top 20 stadiums in the premier league, or one better, the best 20 grounds in the PL and football league.
Diogenes
Has liked: 475 likes
Total likes: 1199 likes

Post by Diogenes »

griff123 wrote:Guy in front of me had obviously invited his spurs mate who was in his 50's as he got his phone out of his pocket to film a spurs corner.....me and another guy next to me went ape! Have a bit of common sense! The guy was apologetic but as I said to his West ham mate, he should know better!
Disgraceful behaviour from both the spurs fan and his West ham mate for not pulling him up himself!
Once upon a time we used to accept this and have some friendly banter and ribbing. What happened?