Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Believer
Has liked: 1389 likes
Total likes: 735 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Believer »

bubbles500 wrote:.Relegation would be a disaster for stadium operators.
Maybe that's the plan...
Andytheammer

Post by Andytheammer »

James P wrote:There is an absolute chasm between us owning the stadium and us turning it into a far better venue to watch football in. So many people seem to speak as though they are more or less the same thing.
Ain’t that the truth!
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

James P wrote:There is an absolute chasm between us owning the stadium and us turning it into a far better venue to watch football in. So many people seem to speak as though they are more or less the same thing.
Latter is at least an option if former occurs.

Without owning the stadium the idea of making it a football venue is completely impossible,
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Exactly this ,I have no idea why people think owning the stadium is a good thing.Right now we have a cracking deal,well the owners do.We don’t As it’s not a football stadium.If we own it ,that’s £8m a year out of our pockets to do the conversion.You can’t renovate it,you would have to knock it down.There would be nothing good about owning this stadium.Imagine being relegated then having to find £8m a year just to be able to play there.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

West Ham's legal challenges cost us milions
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=131795

Sounds like a great working relationship.

Can't wait for the report. Let's hope it deems the whole shabang untenable.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

bubbles500 wrote:If we own it ,that’s £8m a year out of our pockets to do the conversion.
Initial plans in place to do it for £4m from next year. Yet still a considerable sum, granted.
Doc H Ball wrote:Sounds like a great working relationship.
Sounds expensive. For both sides. Maybe one for our boy Palermo and his keen eye for an set of WHUFC annual accounts (he said, whilst deftly passing the buck).
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I'll pop a note in my diary .

The Mayors report is pivotal in all this .Regardless of how the two parties got to here , this is where they are, with WHU spending more with their lawyers arguing the toss with their landlords than they pay the same landlords in rent .

It's dumb negotiating by the LLDC / E20 and evidence , as if needed, that this was a bad deal because it left no goodwill on the table .I may have mentioned this before .

However, the Mayor clearly has an eye to the future and I'm sure Mrs Brady wishes to "cut a deal" with him going forward .Simply asking the question "the LLDC, what is it for, how much does it cost , and who pays ?" , which is the sort of thing being written on Claret and Pravda , is her preferred method of trying to force the Mayor to the negotiating table .

The club clearly want to manage the stadium, believing they could do a better job , ownership of it will be some way off on the masterplan .

The problem being the single biggest issues I expect are unsolvable regardless of who organises the stewards and hot dog sales .The distance from the pitch won't be changing in my life and the station won't be getting any nearer , or bigger .

Ultimately though , management of the stadium may make it easier to gain naming rights and or position the club for sale - it removes a third party that brings little but complications .The sad fact though is the real beneficieries will be the clowns that created the mess in the first place .

I asked many times before the move , what's in it for supporters ? Everyone can now see the answer , and a change in who runs the stadium won't improve that .

The costs involved in sticking the roof on and converting it for football use ( ha ha ha) is one of the biggest wastes of public money I can recall . The ongoing losses due in large part to the extortinate cost of moving the seats in and out , even at a reduced cost of £4m will cost the rate payer in London another £400m .

These are huge sums that were signed off under a different political administration .

Where did the money go, who benefited ? I hope when the Mayor receives the report from Moore Stephens they have forensically examined every deal and in deep throat style, followed the money .

One sign of corruption , anywhere, and I'd love to know the legal position on how strong our tenancy is .

For clarity I am not suggesting any act of corruption by any employee of WHUFC .

From the ratepayer and taxpayers perspective this was as far from the deal of the century as you could imagine .The Mayor , quite rightly, deserves to know who approved what and why .
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

the pink palermo wrote:I'll pop a note in my diary .

The Mayors report is pivotal in all this ..
A very good analysis Pinky but if all this does is empty a bucket of the brown stuff over Johnson and his team where will it leave anyone?

I think if we do get control of the stadium we might be able to make it marginally less s**t but the stuff around the ground will become far worse with restricted access etc adding to the already miserable situation.

The only outcome I can see is things getting worse for supporters but GSB & co gaining financially.
Last edited by the pink palermo on Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quote truncated
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Big George wrote:I think if we do get control of the stadium we might be able to make it marginally less s**t but the stuff around the ground will become far worse with restricted access etc adding to the already miserable situation.

The only outcome I can see is things getting worse for supporters but GSB & co gaining financially.
Yep .

GSB are not in the business of doing anything for supporters .Anything they do ,any decision they take m is to benefit them , and only them .

Tragically too many of our su[porters - the same ones who fell for the "watch out, spurs will get it" rubbish will fall for whatever spin they put on the benefits of WHU owning the stadium , the truth though is only the shareholders will gain .

Before the move I repeatedly posted the supporters were going to get shafted .We were , and will continue to be regardless of who serves the popcorn .
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

IF we could somehow own the stadium without athletics then we could convert it.

would require GSB leaving as would cost too much for them.

in the meantime we limp on both on and off the field.

next level for sure but wrong direction
B'WoodBob

Post by B'WoodBob »

hammerman11 wrote:IF we could somehow own the stadium without athletics then we could convert it.

would require GSB leaving as would cost too much for them.

in the meantime we limp on both on and off the field.

next level for sure but wrong direction
What is the benefit to any owners, current incumbents or otherwise, to convert the stadium?

The place sells out every game, what would be the benefit to any owner of closing a stadium that sells out every week, finding somewhere else to play for one or two seasons, demolishing a 60k plus stadium, paying hundreds of millions to build a new 60k plus stadium that sells out every week? Sound like a waste of money?

Trust me that place isn't going to change dramatically in any of our lifetimes.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

Big George wrote:
I think if we do get control of the stadium we might be able to make it marginally less s**t but the stuff around the ground will become far worse with restricted access etc adding to the already miserable situation.

How so George?
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

^^^ All the development that's going to be taking place over the next 14 years will have a major impact on routes around the stadium.
http://www.queenelizabetholympicpark.co ... local-plan
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

It’s very very hard to see what £325m was spent on.The roof,scaffolding,a few seats,AstroTurf and a bit of branding.If Something dodgy hasn’t gone on I’ll be amazed.I’m not 100% on this but I believe Although spurs project is £800m only about £450m is the actual stadium. So for an extra £100m They’ve built a state of the art stadium seems very odd. You just know these figures from the mayor report are going to be scandalous one way or another.Lets Just hope the overspend doesn’t lay at our door.
sharphammer

Post by sharphammer »

the only way things will ever change is if we stay away in mass numbers, they need to realise what a 24 carat f*** up they've made, by mass numbers i mean attendances to drop to around 20,000 or so. unfortunately I don't think it will ever happen so all will seem forever rosy to GSB and they'll keep lining their own pockets. quite simply the revolt at the moment is no where near enough for them to even consider any type of redevelopment.
Big George
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

mushy wrote: How so George?
They are planning on building on every scrap of land from the River Lea to Leyton, closing off access routes and cut throughs.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

Aha!
Thankyou.
Happyhammer52
Has liked: 148 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Happyhammer52 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another video circulating of folk managing to get in and scale the stadium.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Happyhammer52 wrote:" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another video circulating of folk managing to get in and scale the stadium.
I mean it’s impressive when you watch it - however this is now the 2nd video I’ve seen. They could easily have had a bomb in their bag and got it under the stand and blown it up at the next game. The security of this place needs to be sorted immediately as they’re putting 57k peoples lives at risk by not having proper preventions in place.
Red Kens Slave

Post by Red Kens Slave »

Doc H Ball wrote:West Ham's legal challenges cost us milions
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=131795

Good work sanchoz.