Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

rciron
Has liked: 297 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by rciron »

[quote="hadleighhammer"]
You really think that WHU fans will be jealous of Spurs' large NFL deal? Personally don't think this is ever something our fans would welcome if we owned our own ground.

On their own NFL specific retractable pitch? Why would I care if it added to our transfer budget?

If it just added to the profit GSB make/take from the club the yes in that case NFL can **** off. I doubt Levy is on the same level of asset stripping cuntery our owners are on though.
:lol: lmfao
artlin

Post by artlin »

I have been told that there is a rugby game scheduled for 24th March sandwiched between 2 home games.

A neighbour is involved with the opening ceremony.

Does this affect the turf at all? Playing rugby at a football stadium, whatever next?
JCA
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by JCA »

No it wasn't Wanstead Flats, alternative site within the borough was the old WH Speedway track in Custom House (which in it's heyday mid-wars held 80k spectators), but rejected if I recall due to poor transport links. Those days, before the Docklands regeneration, City Airport, etc there wasn't much down there apart from the docks & marshes eastwards from Beckton Park. Look at the area now.....
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

JCA wrote:No it wasn't Wanstead Flats, alternative site within the borough was the old WH Speedway track in Custom House (which in it's heyday mid-wars held 80k spectators), but rejected if I recall due to poor transport links. Those days, before the Docklands regeneration, City Airport, etc there wasn't much down there apart from the docks & marshes eastwards from Beckton Park. Look at the area now.....
You're quite correct JCA, back in the late 60's, very early 70's when West Ham Speedway was dying a death, it was mooted about WHU moving there. A massive stadium, at LEAST 80k (only one stand with seating, mind), down the bottom end & off of Prince Regents Lane.
The transport links for that area were truly dire at the time & the regeneration may not even have been envisaged at that time & even if it had been, who could/would have waited for it to happen?
I suppose at that time there just wasn't a pressing need to leave Upton Park for a situation that just wasn't as good as the one we had.
Much the same as in 2016!
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

West Ham United would like to make supporters aware of a minor change to the walking route around Bridge 2 and Bridge 3 at London Stadium, which will be in effect from the FA Cup replay with Shrewsbury Town onwards.

To support the development of Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park's new communities, areas of temporary hoarding will be in place next to Bridge 2, through Mandeville Place and up to Waterden Road, from mid-January 2018 to winter 2019.

All existing areas of the park will remain open during this time, but the walking route for supporters coming from Hackney Wick will be affected slightly, as illustrated in the map available by clicking here. Bridge 3 will now only be accessible from Marshgate Terrace.

For Club London supporters, who have previously been advised to enter the Stadium via Bridge 3, there will now be a dedicated hospitality lane on Bridge 2 to ensure a hassle free entrance.

In addition, from the fixture against Crystal Palace on 30 January 2018, the main entrance to the London Stadium from Westfield will be changing.

The current temporary entrance opposite John Lewis will be closing, and a new permanent entrance will open opposite The Cow pub in Westfield Stratford City, going through International Quarter London and Endeavour Square.

Updated maps and signs will be put in place around the park, and Matchday Supporter Liaison Officers and London Stadium Stewards will be on hand to assist as supporters adjust to the changes.
https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... ing-routes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Updated map from club website here:

https://www.whufc.com/sites/default/fil ... 19%202.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

'World class players for a world class stadium'.
Why aren't we bidding for Sanchez.
The Boleyn Hound

Post by The Boleyn Hound »

Anyone know why the polive blocked both entrances to the carpenters estate this evening post-game?
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Edit - depressing pointless ****
Kialos
Has liked: 1545 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

The Boleyn Hound wrote:Anyone know why the polive blocked both entrances to the carpenters estate this evening post-game?

Edit

Firearms incident according to twitter, so hopefully just a one off.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2894 likes
Total likes: 617 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

One Shrews fan's thoughts from the Opposition View,
"London Stadium? No thanks! Does not feel like a football stadium at all, people on the food (if you can call it that) counters look like they've just left nursery. More road closures and footpath closures than I've ever seen in my life and more horse s**t about than super blues way. Let's get back to league action as soon as possible , wouldn't rush to that place again."
- bobbytheblock19er
PopRobsonHeader
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by PopRobsonHeader »

The map attachment mentions in the corner from Palace game onwards a new entrance next to the Cow will be open, if open for before and after games that is a positive move
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 876 likes

Post by mushy »

PopRobsonHeader wrote:The map attachment mentions in the corner from Palace game onwards a new entrance next to the Cow will be open, if open for before and after games that is a positive move
You could walk through the entrance next to the Cow yesterday before the game, this did involve ignoring requests from Stewards further back who were trying to direct you along another side entrance to the right of the John Lewis back entrance (as you look at it from the O/S). I dont think that exit from Westfield had been open before either.
Maybe it was a one-off due to the smallish attendance.
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 876 likes

Post by mushy »

the pink palermo wrote:.

The distance the seats are from the edge of the pitch is determined by the roof , nothing else .

Retractable, relocatable , it doesn't and never did matter .
I dont think this is entirely true, the other factor for not being able to have the seats further forward is the rake of the view, in other words if seats went all the way to the side of the pitch the people in the front rows of the upper tier (club 1966) would not be able to see all of the of the pitch.
This would never happen.
Only way round this is to dig the sides of the pitch downwards and have the front rows viewing the pitch at eye level and am pretty sure this cannot be done either.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

PopRobsonHeader wrote:The map attachment mentions in the corner from Palace game onwards a new entrance next to the Cow will be open, if open for before and after games that is a positive move
That's a new permanent entrance to the Park - not Westfield, who will no doubt still decide who they let through their entrance by The Cow..
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Hammer.CA wrote:One Shrews fan's thoughts from the Opposition View,
"London Stadium? No thanks! Does not feel like a football stadium at all, people on the food (if you can call it that) counters look like they've just left nursery. More road closures and footpath closures than I've ever seen in my life and more horse s**t about than super blues way. Let's get back to league action as soon as possible , wouldn't rush to that place again."
- bobbytheblock19er
Quite complimentary really, considering its much worse they only visit once and tick it off the stadiums to visit list
ooh look who it is
Location: I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things.

Post by ooh look who it is »

I imagine we won’t be playing at home on August 18th due to a rave up going on?
:tune:

https://www.elrowtown.com/en/london
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 164 likes
Total likes: 1111 likes

Post by Rio »

ooh look who it is wrote:I imagine we won’t be playing at home on August 18th due to a rave up going on?

I need us to be away the week before too. If we can’t Boxing Day because of shoppers we can’t play August because of poppers
Kialos
Has liked: 1545 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

mushy wrote:

I dont think this is entirely true, the other factor for not being able to have the seats further forward is the rake of the view, in other words if seats went all the way to the side of the pitch the people in the front rows of the upper tier (club 1966) would not be able to see all of the of the pitch.
This would never happen.
Only way round this is to dig the sides of the pitch downwards and have the front rows viewing the pitch at eye level and am pretty sure this cannot be done either.
It's Club London.

The 1966 seats are not corporate seats, they are seats in the East stand that are padded and basically an upgraded band 1.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

mushy wrote:
This would never happen.
Nothing can be done and the upper tier aint moving or having bars etc

97.5yrs left :scarfer:
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 131 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

ooh look who it is wrote:I imagine we won’t be playing at home on August 18th due to a rave up going on?

At least they get portable toilets and urinals provided by the station.