Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 843 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by mushy »

hammerman11 wrote: From a business perspective its a great deal by brady for us.
Doc H Ball wrote: This is often glibly said. How is it a great financial deal for us?
Glibly is too kind a word.
This is the worst deal possible in my view.
WebmasterFF
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 152 likes

Post by WebmasterFF »

Mushy, ignoring the fact that we have been truly screwed over by Baroness Brady I think she played an absolute blinder to the LLDC, only further exasperated by the costs of the retractable seating.

The OS is clearly operating at a loss as I cannot see how the money they make from athletics and concerts (plus our £2m and slice of catering) can come close to how much it is costing them. Even a sponsorship deal for the stadium will be cutting it fine.

It's a bit like the Dome/O2 all over again except in this instance there is a very narrow usage for the OS, with us being the only viable option to take it over for the sake of the public purse.

It will be interesting what the outcome of Khan's review into it will be, as I feel that could be the breaking point for UK Athletics and the Athletic Legacy. Seb b*stard Coe......
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Spammy The Vee wrote:Is it true that if Sullivan and Gold sell the club, within a certain amount of years that some of the money has to go to The Olympic Stadium ? It was mentioned to me yesterday and I had never heard that before ?
It was discussed on here at length when the Concession Agreement was published over a year ago that contained all of this information.
http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=160062

When the Freedom of Information request about the detailed agreement between E20 Stadium LLP and W H Holding Ltd was required to be published, it was all put up on the Olympic Park website.
http://queenelizabetholympicpark.co.uk/ ... 202016.pdf
Don't bother looking - it's no longer there!

They obviously decided that once published, it didn't need to be there for any length of time so was quickly taken down. But the beauty of the Internet is that once something is up there - then it's there for good!

Here's the full Concession Agreement from the web archive:
https://web.archive.org/web/20160417201 ... 202016.pdf

All the details of the amount that has to be paid if the Club (or part of it) is sold as whufcmarc has detailed, are specified from page 197 with example calculations for various scenarios.
leveller

Post by leveller »

Wembley1966 wrote:When the Freedom of Information request about the detailed agreement between E20 Stadium LLP and W H Holding Ltd was required to be published, it was all put up on the Olympic Park website.
http://queenelizabetholympicpark.co.uk/ ... 202016.pdf
Don't bother looking - it's no longer there!

They obviously decided that once published, it didn't need to be there for any length of time so was quickly taken down.
They didn't actually take it down, they just moved it here:
http://www.queenelizabetholympicpark.co ... ashx?la=en" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you go to this page, under the section "Stadium Agreements" you can download them all, i.e. the one between the club and E20/LLDC but also the one for UK Athletics and also LS185's agreement:
http://www.queenelizabetholympicpark.co ... tadium-llp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 843 likes

Post by mushy »

WebmasterFF wrote:Mushy, ignoring the fact that we have been truly screwed over by Baroness Brady I think she played an absolute blinder to the LLDC, only further exasperated by the costs of the retractable seating.

It will be interesting what the outcome of Khan's review into it will be, as I feel that could be the breaking point for UK Athletics and the Athletic Legacy. Seb b*stard Coe......
I dont give a toss to be honest as regards Bradys deal with the LLDC, remember also the LLDC were desperate.

I also cannot see Khan's review making much difference either, what actually can he do in practical terms other then highlight the ineptitude of others?
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 161 likes
Total likes: 156 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

First trip was the Chelsea home league game. I was impressed by the stadium, for the most part enjoyed the experience (football aside). So easy to get a pint, plenty of space. However I don't know if that's a good thing as the intimacy of it all is gone. I normally make it to 2,3, sometimes 4 home games a year plus an away if there are tickets so this isn't a weekly / biweekly event for me. The other noticeable difference is the lead up to the ground. Whereas I used to walk from my Grandparent's flat on Lonsdale road, through the houses, then you turn the corner and see the stadium in what is effectively normal, close surroundings. Brilliant. Driving there in the away team bus must have been a real experience and gets your mind wondering about where you're going to. Fans all over the place etc. I haven't seen the entrance to to the OS but I can't imagine it's anything similar.

I can't help think that all the eggs have gone in one basket and the niggling fear I can't get rid of, is what would happen if we were to be relegated. I was sat in the BML where plenty of people (myself included) tried to get the crowd going but the distances between the tiers is massive, then of course we went 1 down and it was more or less curtains.

In the same period I went to Sampdoria at home (though nothing new there, go all the time) and Juventus vs. Porto in the curva sud. It's been said a million times but we do not have a football stadium. The Marassi is falling to bits but you feel like you're on top of the pitch. Juve's stadium, 41,000 seater, is impressive and designed very cleverly in that it's slightly sunk down into the ground. This, combined with the proximity of the pitch, leads to a very good, intimidating atmosphere (though fair enough, they've won the league already and it was the last 16 of the CL...conducive to a good atmosphere). When I asked about why only 41,000 seats, my mate told me it's to keep the atmosphere.
theobaldtiger

Post by theobaldtiger »

Hertha Berlin just announced their intention to build a new (football!) ground as it's not tenable for them to play in a rented athletics stadium in the long run. Oh, the irony.

There is just one aspect I can't really get my head around: why does UK Athletics need the stadium? I understand it this year what with the World Champions being staged, but what about next year? The Diamond League is a yearly one-off. When are they actually going to use the stadium?
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

[quote="theobaldtiger"]Hertha Berlin just announced their intention to build a new (football!) ground as it's not tenable for them to play in a rented athletics stadium in the long run. Oh, the irony.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

JerseyHammer wrote:In the same period I went to Sampdoria at home (though nothing new there, go all the time) and Juventus vs. Porto in the curva sud. It's been said a million times but we do not have a football stadium. The Marassi is falling to bits but you feel like you're on top of the pitch.
you're not joking mate

they've fit a whole tier in the space between the pitch and the front row at the OS, and a whole stadium inside our lower tier.
leveller

Post by leveller »

Doesn't surprise me at all about Hertha Berlin, 1860 and Bayern moved out of the Munich Olympic Stadium years ago into a purpose built ground, but then we know that clubs all across Europe have been doing exactly that. I think Hertha Berlin are the only club in Germany with an all-seater stadium because they play in the Olympic Stadium, wonder if we'll be in a similar boat one day.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

How long have Hertha Berlin been playing in their current Stadium, before coming to the conclusion it's no longer a viable option?
leveller

Post by leveller »

Colours never run wrote:How long have Hertha Berlin been playing in their current Stadium, before coming to the conclusion it's no longer a viable option?
Since 1963 apparently :lol:

But it looks like their lease is up on the Olympic Stadium:
On the 30 March 2017, Hertha announced its intentions to build a new 55,000 seater stadium, to be ready in 2025 when their contract to play at the Olympiastadion runs out. The club noted many factors for this decision, one being that the Berlin side are the only club in the Bundesliga without a dedicated football stadium. In the announcement, the club acknowledged that the Olympiastadion was suitable for major national and international matches, but was too large for the average attendance of a Hertha home game, with only 64% seats being sold; opposed to the Bundesliga average of 92%. The preferred plans are that the new stadium is to be built within the Olympic Park, next to the Olympiastadion.
theobaldtiger

Post by theobaldtiger »

Times have changed. Italian, German and eastern European clubs are moving out of athletics stadiums, we're the only ones (voluntarily) moving into one.
leveller

Post by leveller »

QPR also moved into White City Stadium (the 1908 Olympic Stadium) twice, once in the 1930s and again in the 1960s before promptly moving out again a couple of seasons later. History says that football clubs moving into athletics grounds isn't desirable and it doesn't work.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

leveller wrote: Since 1963 apparently

Oh ****. :lol:

Now I am really depressed about putting up with the damn thing for a lifetime.

I wish we had a crystal ball to see how this all pans out.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

so the latest idea is to rotate the pitch so the east and west stands are nearer and the bml and tbl are further away than now. what a mess this is. all we want is for all our fans to be nearer !

I wonder if they will reduce prices in these two stands as they will now be further away ? The east and west are already more expensive so they should not increase them any more. Who knows
uptonspark
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by uptonspark »

hammerman11 wrote:so the latest idea is to rotate the pitch so the east and west stands are nearer and the bml and tbl are further away than now. what a mess this is. all we want is for all our fans to be nearer !

I wonder if they will reduce prices in these two stands as they will now be further away ? The east and west are already more expensive so they should not increase them any more. Who knows
Hmm, me thinks you should check the date when reading that story. :D
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

fell for that one ! mind you the way it is run nothing would surprise me !!
uptonspark
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by uptonspark »

hammerman11 wrote:fell for that one ! mind you the way it is run nothing would surprise me !!
You are not wrong with that opinion fella.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

Espanyol played in a purpose built 40,000 seater stadium in Barcelona, a stadium that hosted 3 games in the 82 world cup,due to financial problems they sold their ground to property developers and moved to the Olympic stadium in 1997, this was unpopular with the fans, and after 12 years moved to a purpose built 41,000 seater football stadium,i hope the same for us, the bowl is not a football stadium.