Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by MD_HM »

I noticed they managed to cover the nasty stained concrete either side of the big screens...

Although minor, that really bugged me last year as looked so cheap and unfinished
mywhufc

Post by mywhufc »

mike1961 wrote:I've watched the paralympics on the TV thing a couple of times, not because I'm interested in the paralympics (I'm not), but to try and work out what they have done with the temporary seats. I've found it rather confusing, but I think they are running most of the races in front of the East Stand, having completely rebuilt the lower tier to make it smaller ... what do other people think? The camera angles are a bit bizarre, but we never get to see any signs of the corporate bit, except possibly a long range shot. The pundits are shown in what is presumably a corporate lounge, but you can't see much of the stadium behind them.
front 8 rows of East stand were removed, thats all they needed to take away to reveal the track with a gap before you get seats.
Im under the impression west ham will never buy the stadium, as if they do they then would be liable for the seating stewarding etc etc, everything their 2 ½ million covers. The stadium don’t make a profit because of the poor deal they did with west ham, they failed to see our owners were desperate for the place. To think people got paid to do that deal is shocking. If west ham own the stadium it also wouldn’t really add to their worth if sold as the deal they have is better than owning.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

mywhufc wrote: To think people got paid to do that deal is shocking.
Very much so .

A complete waste of Taxpayers money for the next 100 years .
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

mike1961 wrote:I've watched the paralympics on the TV thing a couple of times, not because I'm interested in the paralympics (I'm not), but to try and work out what they have done with the temporary seats. I've found it rather confusing, but I think they are running most of the races in front of the East Stand, having completely rebuilt the lower tier to make it smaller ... what do other people think? The camera angles are a bit bizarre, but we never get to see any signs of the corporate bit, except possibly a long range shot. The pundits are shown in what is presumably a corporate lounge, but you can't see much of the stadium behind them.
Their studio is probably the end corporate box and the area outside it, nearest the TB Stand - that is the one that BT use as a studio when broadcasting our matches there:
Detail from a Bengeo photo from the Rugby World Cup
Red Kens Slave

Post by Red Kens Slave »

mywhufc wrote:The stadium don’t make a profit because of the poor deal they did with west ham, they failed to see our owners were desperate for the place. To think people got paid to do that deal is shocking
The stadium don't make a profit because of the incredible and consistent mismanagement of the venue since before we even signed up to the stadium up to the present day.

frankly I think they did well for themselves to get the deal they did with West Ham, all things considered. Their desperation was immeasurably higher than ours, their negotiating position was severely restricted because of the lack of flexibility on owning all of the operational costs, and the alternatives to our bid were laughable.

Personally, I think the club are overpaying.
fredjstanley

Post by fredjstanley »

Ultimately, the OS needed us more than we needed the OS. However, now UP has been knocked down and the site sold we're both as screwed as each other. Us paying a paltry amount to use a stadium that isn't really fit for purpose. Oh my the next 99 years are going to be fun!
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

All I know is, I'm determined to out live it, even if I have to resort to cryogenics. :evil:
screech
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by screech »

i can see the athletics mob pulling out and we get offered the place for a knock down price
will we get to see any company accounts for the stadium operators?
see what the true costs of accomodating football, athletics and music is costing the tax payer???
followed by another public outcry led by the BBC!!
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

London could host the World Para-athletics Championships in 2019 following a request from athletes.

The current event at London Stadium has been so successful that some participants have called for the biennial event to be hosted in London permanently.

More than 230,000 tickets were sold in advance of the event, which is running between 14-23 July.

"No contract is currently signed with a 2019 host city," said a spokesman for the International Paralympic Committee (IPC).

"The IPC is pleased that athletes, spectators and TV viewers are enjoying these championships as greatly as we are."
:|
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

Doesnt matter what they host, London Stadium is going to bleed tax payers money.

Sooner or later West Ham will own the stadium.

When Gold and Sullivan sells up.
MD_HM
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 339 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Successful my arse... they can't give the tickets away

Go to twitter or instagram... it's embarrassingly empty
East Ham Iron

Post by East Ham Iron »

Their studio is probably the end corporate box and the area outside it, nearest the TB Stand - that is the one that BT use as a studio when broadcasting our matches there:
Detail from a Bengeo photo from the Rugby World Cup[/quote]

That 'box' on the end is the event/matchday control room. Security, Safety Officers, Police & Ambulance etc all sit up there.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

^^^ The control room is at the top of the West Stand above the media section - top right in this photo - bottom left that's sometimes used as a studio is a normal corporate box:

Click for larger image and then again
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

MD_HM wrote:Successful my arse... they can't give the tickets away

Go to twitter or instagram... it's embarrassingly empty

Apparantly 280,000 tickets been sold over the course of the event, which is more than any previous hosts have managed. They've been giving away tickets galore to, I'm managed to secure some for tomorrow.

But over the course of the week it's equating to half full stadiums. I can't see the point of making it being housed permanently in one country.
MrDallas
Total likes: 1 like

Post by MrDallas »

Wembley1966 wrote:^^^ The control room is at the top of the West Stand above the media section - top right in this photo - bottom left that's sometimes used as a studio is a normal corporate box
that box at the top of the west stand is only used for athletics, the control room for all match/events/ is the box mentioned previously
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 915 likes
Total likes: 1914 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/ ... -games-bid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Parallel story in Berlin. Football fans wanting steep, close and loud stands - who'd have thought it?
B'WoodBob

Post by B'WoodBob »

Doc H Ball wrote:http://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/ ... -games-bid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Parallel story in Berlin. Football fans wanting steep, close and loud stands - who'd have thought it?
I went to Germany v England in the Olympic Stadium Berlin last year. It wasn't a great view as you can imagine but the atmosphere was fantastic and as a one off the view was acceptable.

The problem comes when its your view for 20 odd games a season and you resign yourself to the fact that the only decent views you get are at away games and every away game is better than what you get at home.

I don't think that the Olympic Stadium in Berlin will be redeveloped, it is steeped into much history. The real travesty with London is that Coe's pig faced stubbornness about not securing the future of the stadium at design phase has cost the tax payers millions. I don't think West Ham will ever buy the stadium, the rental deal is too good. I also don't think anyone will ever be motivated to change the design of the stadium. Why would they? Sells out every week why spend millions to change it for no extra revenue?

Only 98 years to go.....
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

I've seen a few people say that the athletics lot may walk away but why would they?
they have a better deal than us don't they?
screech
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by screech »

i've been watching the para athletics quite a bit this week and it was mentioned on tv the other night that the para athletes have all said how much the london stadium means to them and they love it there and are putting together a proposal to have the para world chamionships held there everytime, apparently no host has been declared for the next one and they want to make the LS the "hub" for the event
NorthernIron
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by NorthernIron »

Ben wrote:I've seen a few people say that the athletics lot may walk away but why would they?
they have a better deal than us don't they?
34k a year I think the figure was :fsake: