Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by taffhammer »

arlhe wrote:Taff, The 'better view' point is subjective (I'm further back but have a better view of the whole pitch, IMO).

My ticket is cheaper.
I don't think it is subjective as the view from the same band should be as close to what it was last season otherwise you can't say its great its the same band but cheaper by £150 because they have just pulled the wool over many peoples eyes.Its not the same band.
The important question is what row and section were you in for a band 4 last season and what row and section are you in now ?
taffhammer

Post by taffhammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Large events, and the policing thereof are a financial black hole , you would hope licensing authorities are sensible enough to charge a fee which would include sufficient allowances for extra policing costs that are inevitable .
Council tax .
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

I went from Band 4 to Band 3 with the move as you had to for your "comparable" seat and changing of the bands.

Rather than simply compare to 15/16 "last season at the BG" bumped up Band 4 price, I think I'm paying more at the Athletics Track than I did in 14/15 for a Band 4 ticket to get a Band 3 "comparable" view.
taffhammer

Post by taffhammer »

hadleighhammer wrote:I went from Band 4 to Band 3 with the move as you had to for your "comparable" seat and changing of the bands.

Rather than simply compare to 15/16 "last season at the BG" bumped up Band 4 price, I think I'm paying more at the Athletics Track than I did in 14/15 for a Band 4 ticket to get a Band 3 "comparable" view.
Which is exactly the point, because the starting point of row 1 is miles further away there is no bands that match the old ground. If they had just been honest and published a map of new bands when you went to buy a season ticket then you know where you are. People fell for the price drop and think they have done well when the reality is they are in the same band but 30 metres further away than they were before.
They should be made to produce a band map.
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 691 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

Anyone else see the poor young sod in a Chelsea top and Scarf, with his West Ham supporting mate, queuing to get in the East Upper?

He was only about 16, clearly foreign, and clearly there under the impression he could sit where he wanted. Which, although is naive, isnt the most absurd of understandings, is it?

Watching the 4 or 5 well 'ard mid 20's low life 'West Ham' attempting to give him a dig while he was having things explained to him by the stewards was embarrassing. So brave giving it the large one then hiding behind your mates in the queue to get in

Probably the right thread to post this in, because the stewards did a good job in looking after the young lad, he looked at first bemused by the abuse he was getting, then understandably frightened

Its when I encounter other humans like this, that i take great comfort in knowing that at some stage, the cycle of life ensures that they will at some stage be dead
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

the pink palermo wrote: Large events, and the policing thereof are a financial black hole , you would hope licensing authorities are sensible enough to charge a fee which would include sufficient allowances for extra policing costs that are inevitable .
taffhammer wrote: Council tax .
Good point Taff .

What's interesting about that from our perspective is the stadium is owned by E20 , an enterprise set up of which NBC owns a slice , so they end up being liable for a chunk of Council tax they owe to themselves .

If they wish to offset the cost of policing the area around their stadium they need to increase revenue from events that don't require much policing - things like Guns and roses concerts ( I believe age concern and Saga holidays have stands at the concert to sell their products), and boy scout jamborees .

Cricket , which I believe is on the horizon, will be expensive to police with 60,000 people quaffing Heineken all day /night .
taffhammer

Post by taffhammer »

the pink palermo wrote: Cricket , which I believe is on the horizon, will be expensive to police with 60,000 people quaffing Heineken all day /night .
Brady ,after the first few meetings with the stadium owners, most have been rubbing her hands together at how naive they are. They seemed to think that there would be hardly any cost involved in running any event, including removing the scaffold seating.She has shifted the running costs for 2.5 mill a year and as yet hasn't really invested anything in strenghtening the squad. They are more than happy to just stay up and wait for their big pay day.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

chalks wrote:Anyone else see the poor young sod in a Chelsea top and Scarf, with his West Ham supporting mate, queuing to get in the East Upper?

He was only about 16, clearly foreign, and clearly there under the impression he could sit where he wanted. Which, although is naive, isnt the most absurd of understandings, is it?

Watching the 4 or 5 well 'ard mid 20's low life 'West Ham' attempting to give him a dig while he was having things explained to him by the stewards was embarrassing. So brave giving it the large one then hiding behind your mates in the queue to get in

Probably the right thread to post this in, because the stewards did a good job in looking after the young lad, he looked at first bemused by the abuse he was getting, then understandably frightened

Its when I encounter other humans like this, that i take great comfort in knowing that at some stage, the cycle of life ensures that they will at some stage be dead
I completely agree with your point mate.

Though some would say if these thugs didn't stick their oar in, that "the OS has become sanitised", "this isn't West Ham anymore" and, "you wouldn't see that at WHL or the New Den".

Come to think of it, I've read all three of those lines posted on this forum...
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

chalks wrote:Anyone else see the poor young sod in a Chelsea top and Scarf, with his West Ham supporting mate, queuing to get in the East Upper?

Is a Craven Cottage style 'neutral end' going to be a consideration going forward perhaps?

The stadium isn't exactly packed with fans wanting to cheer on West Ham. There were 4 young lads near me for the City game in the League. They were all buzzing when City scored their goals, phones out to video the goals/goal celebrations etc. Someone had a word with them and they kept quiet after realising what they were doing wasn't on.

In the cup game, there was a few people visiting from Belgium near us in the home end who would cheer everytime De Bruyne touch the ball.

A neutral section in the upper teirs to accommodate the likes of these (and the daytrippers from Thomas Cook) would surely be the start of solving the many issues with the seating. Getting like minded fans together is something that really needs to be properly explored.
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

the pink palermo wrote:Hang on, didn't the people who collaborated with the "Board" by shouting down those of us that opposed the move tell us we would all have cheaper tickets ?
Bore off seriously... this has nothing to do with this... I'm talking about the league in general not specifically us... who by the way have the cheapest season ticket in the league...

I never said we would all have cheaper tickets either but keep twisting words to suit your agenda.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

The Rebirth wrote:Bore off seriously... this has nothing to do with this... I'm talking about the league in general not specifically us... who by the way have the cheapest season ticket in the league...
And you still didn't buy one despite being one of the main advocates of the move on this website .
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

it's funny isn't it, we once laughed at the likes of Wigan, Bolton, Derby, MK Dons for these rent-a-pack soulless stadiums on retail parks but I would take one of them with a smaller capacity over our place
it's so **** and in comparison to what we had it's devastating where we are now
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

Who thinks the new ground is the worst football stadium in the whole of the 92?

I do.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

sjb958 wrote:Who thinks the new ground is the worst football stadium in the whole of the 92?

I do.
Probably won't go that far. Mind you I've probably only been to about a third of them. There is potential to the London Stadium, yes it won't ever be perfect, but it can be improved. It's whether our owners have a) the money, and b) the permission to do anything about it. I suspect the answer to both is no.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

the pink palermo wrote:With the renewal time rapidly approaching should I be concerned that the club still haven't published a proper seat by seat map of the bands around the stadium ?

Seems strange to me . :?

No.

That won't be able to do that til the scaffolders finish the re re-configuration after the athletics. It'd be a miracle bordering on the old Jesus bread and fish trick if the setup is exactly the same
leveller

Post by leveller »

sjb958 wrote:Who thinks the new ground is the worst football stadium in the whole of the 92?
Yes it is. Name me a worse one for anyone who disagrees.
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

Nesticles wrote: A neutral section in the upper teirs to accommodate the likes of these (and the daytrippers from Thomas Cook) would surely be the start of solving the many issues with the seating. Getting like minded fans together is something that really needs to be properly explored.
So our future is to become the new Fulham encouraging neutral day trippers to come along for the fun of a family day out.

Club's ****ed.
Odessa
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Odessa »

The London stadium is ideal for one-offs like cup finals where everyone is there for a party.

It really isn't up to the job of club football especially a mid-ranking club like West Ham.

Unless the owners pump big money into the playing side the decline in interest is inevitable.

Such a shame.
Porkeyes
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porkeyes »

I do.
Exactly this. I have been saying this all season. In fact boring people with it. Even if there was just the pitch and no stands like when I watch my son's team play it would be better. 50k round the edge of a pitch behind "respect" tape, bring it on!
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

Taff, I was in the BMW and am now in block 214 (halfway between the corporates and the away fans). I do have a better perspective of the whole pitch but there are, of course, a whole raft of things that are less good.

That last sentence is all my subjective judgement, though. The price I'm paying isn't.

A like-for-like comparison, in a different stadium isn't ever going to be a wholly objective assessment.