Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Boooogers!

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Boooogers! »

Pulls up Trees wrote:For those interested, I have raised the consistent sewage smell coming from the South East corner of the stadium with Newham Council. The reference number is K4R3NS 5N4TCH.

It's been 3 weeks now, beginning with the Tottenham game on the 20th October.
fixed for you :thup:
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Pulls up Trees wrote:For those interested, I have raised the consistent sewage smell coming from the South East corner of the stadium with Newham Council. The reference number is K4R3NS 5N4TCH.
Boooogers! wrote:fixed for you :thup:
:D
Naughty..
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

:lol:
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 2019 likes
Total likes: 1494 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Take a bow Sir!! :lol:
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

It seems just to be me that thinks we have the best concourse in the league, love that it's semi outside. Loads of room and easy to get served.
goa127
Has liked: 454 likes

Post by goa127 »

Vienna wrote:It seems just to be me that thinks we have the best concourse in the league, love that it's semi outside. Loads of room and easy to get served.

If ther's a cold wind blowing, you do feel it :shock: It's good to be able to walk round most of the ground. My son has a seat on the opposite side and I can go round and meet him easily if I need to.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

If we ever buy the bowl we need to make the concourse more fan friendly. the cold winds of winter have been mentioned and would require some proper cladding to the concourse area. a few proper bars named after a few players such as Lyall bar, bonds bar , installed with seating inside the bar.
bigger TV screens to watch the sky games pre match on all four areas of the ground.
no more pop up bars stalls etc.
some west ham shops inside the ground
programme sellers inside the ground
local vendors inside the ground, reasonable rents charged !
imagine badge sellers, old programme sellers, west ham shops, ribman all in the concourses.
claret and ble throughout.

I dream on ….. just like my dreams they fade and die !
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

This will upset the owners - but f*** em they made their bed .... badly

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... r-13604504" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

Disappointing that they all didn't pick the Olympic stadium. Still, two out of six ain't bad.
e17
Has liked: 292 likes
Total likes: 976 likes

Post by e17 »

Boooogers! wrote:fixed for you :thup:
Absolute genius

Might be one of the funniest posts ever on this site. Bravo.
Captain Slaphead
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by Captain Slaphead »

S-H wrote:Disappointing that they all didn't pick the Olympic stadium. Still, two out of six ain't bad.
The only other existing UK ground that got a mention was Selhurst Park -- so one interpretation would be that two-thirds of those that expressed an opinion said that London Stadium was currently the worst in the country.
Noble Man
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Noble Man »

Tin hat on but.....

On it's day/night was some place but.....

'It’s probably even more underwhelming as a ground because of how great Upton Park was. That place was incredible and the atmosphere was something else.'

Being honest was it really that good? Went to plenty of games and, sorry, the atmosphere weren't great on many of them.

That said i'd still prefer to be there than at the rented bowl!!
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1991 likes
Total likes: 1667 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

^^^^^^^

you're right mate, but I think that when it was good, it was GREAT...

I just don't see any way that the OS can generate that type of atmosphere..even if the team were at the top end of the table...

in my time (and that goes back a ways :D ) we have never been at the top end (moved from 79 on, so never did see the 86 season) but in the days of the old chicken run (when it was wooden) and the players so close you could literally touch them, I HAVE to believe that even the top teams never loved coming there. even if we were shyte, gates closed at 2:00 and earlier at times, the crowd WERE intimidating,

being so far away from the pitch I just don't see teams being bothered. it never was a "fortress" Upton Park (as it was called by the pundits) but it was a bloody tough place to play no matter how good we were (or usually weren't)..

e17
Has liked: 292 likes
Total likes: 976 likes

Post by e17 »

Noble Man wrote:Being honest was it really that good? Went to plenty of games and, sorry, the atmosphere weren't great on many of them.

That said i'd still prefer to be there than at the rented bowl!!
When it was good, it was as good as any stadium and crowd on the planet. I’ve been to a fair few places, not just in England (Wife is French, Ex was Italian), and the atmosphere for games at Upton Park like thumping the Toon lot in 86, Ipswich in the play offs, beating Spurs 4-3 on Hartson & Kitsons debut, Johnny Specs suddenly owning Man U, the pwoppa nawty pitch invasion in the cup v Millwall, that last ever game (to name a few I did) were all definitely up there.

But it had its peaks and troughs - the real difference was not only did it always feel like home, but the journey and the experience was nostalgic, exciting, historic, ours.

That’s been lost. Green Street was as important as The Boleyn.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 654 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

Spot on 'oust. When I was a lad (also a long time ago :D ) the run was, or always seemed to be, jammed solid with burly dockers in donkey jackets - it was as you say a tough place... not least for the humour which could destroy players (oppo or ours) as they could hear every word.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 892 likes

Post by Samba »

Albie Beck wrote:Spot on 'oust. When I was a lad (also a long time ago :D ) the run was, or always seemed to be, jammed solid with burly dockers in donkey jackets - it was as you say a tough place... not least for the humour which could destroy players (oppo or ours) as they could hear every word.
How brave must those linesmen have been? Talk about breathing down your neck over every one of your decisions..
Must be a lot easier for them, over at the OS.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1991 likes
Total likes: 1667 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

I think pretty much EVERY stadium was really close to the field...

and most still are...except that monstrosity that we play in.................not sure if it was anecdotal or not, but I want to say someone (opponent) came over to the North Bank it might have been and nicked a chip from some lad at the front....

I also remember one ref, Clive Thomas maybe, and the crowd in the run was singing "Oh my what a referee" and I'll SWEAR he was singing along....defused a what could have been awful and it might have been Bobby Gould who was conducting us...

all of this might or might not be true, just what my memory recalls....when the crowd were swaying side to side with the line going one way, the step above going the other etc. etc. etc. it WAS an intimidating place.

the linos as you say quite rightly...had the crowd literally breathing down their neck..and despite all of the crappy calls that went against us, never iirc were they ever in any danger...

the crowds all coming in from every direction you can imagine.... my dad lived off Harold Road, far enough away that if my mates came early enough they could park and walked Green Street, down by the Maycock's might it have been laundry, and around the back through dog shyte alley past the back of the bus station..

latterly into the Supporter's Club but Green Street would have been heaving.....I would love to have seen the redevelopment of The Boleyn because my guess is that about 45K would be capacity for us except of course for the really big games. as I said I can remember the gates for the whole place being shut at 1:30-1:45 for the really big games. hour and 15 minutes to amuse yourself. and the programme didn't take that long to read !!!!!!!!

goa127
Has liked: 454 likes

Post by goa127 »

I kinda ignore Andy Dunn because he seems to have an anti WHU thing going at the moment, but the other fella Flanagan seems to be a regular, so fair comment. I don't remember dockers in donkey jackets, but I only started going in 1968 so I didn't see the original chicken run, but it was a unique place. Unfortunately most of that was lost with all-seating but that's the way it's gone for everybody. I don't particularly miss Green st. (I used to live up the top end in 1972/3)though although I get peoples nostalgia for everything associated with the Boleyn.
Lt. Discussion

Post by Lt. Discussion »

Well I miss green street. It was never particularly salubrious and the demographic had changed but what did that matter on match day. It was home and still had a homely feel. I miss the north bank, I miss the south bank, I miss the west lower. That was never going to last though. However the missed opportunity of a redev is unforgivable.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

it was the whole matchday experience getting of the tube and walking down green street past the cafes, pubs, burger stalls, merchandise stalls, old programme sellers. It was the atmosphere of a home game.

now we walk through a sterile area to an event on at the LS. its not a football home game and hence why we don't win many at home.

win or lose at the Boleyn you had a day out at the football. now its 90 mins at a concert or football match in a neutral ground. awful

can it be improved upon, yes when we own it. long way off