Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by goa127 »

I thought the atmosphere yesterday was better than usual. I don't mean noisier, but very positive. Lots of applause for good play and for players tackling back, and great support when we pushed for the winner. On another note, we had a steward who spent the whole game, walking up and down the gangway (block 235) looking for something. Was it to check no one had beer?
griff123

Post by griff123 »

Stewards in 130 asking people to sit down and then followed it up with it will help with us getting the increase in capacity...seemed an odd thing to say, what does it matter to them, its only Brady who keeps banging that drum.
Obviously no one paid any attention, everyone continued to stand
ornchurch ammer
Has liked: 133 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

griff123 wrote:Stewards in 130 asking people to sit down and then followed it up with it will help with us getting the increase in capacity...seemed an odd thing to say, what does it matter to them, its only Brady who keeps banging that drum.
Don't they realise that's the new Chav Corner and a fan designated standing area?
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

griff123 wrote:Stewards in 130 asking people to sit down and then followed it up with it will help with us getting the increase in capacity...seemed an odd thing to say, what does it matter to them, its only Brady who keeps banging that drum.
This group of stewards were working their way around. Recognised a couple of them from Upton Park. It was refreshing to see the senior steward engage and have a laugh with our section, 132, whilst issuing a polite instruction. Asked everyone to sit down for five minutes so they could get it on film to prove to Newham Council that the stewards can enforce fans to sit, to aid the increased capacity limit request.

He laughed when saying, ' its only for five minutes, or until we score'.
He stood back in the tunnel but after a couple of minutes there was an attack and people started to get up.

Clearly the steward was working for the club as opposed to LS185.
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

Check out @westhamfootball’s Tweet: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some of the replies. Mr Whetstone appears to have tripped himself up somewhat.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I went to the Spurs game last week and that was more than a year passed since the last time i went to the stadium. I just have absolutely no enthusiasm for it. It has the feeling of an Airport and a bad one at that with the search process going in and the long queues. I get its Tottenham at home but it was the same when i went Swansea last year. I am also sure there are other ways around it but its all one big faff to just get in to a football ground. After all that time searching the fans then kicked off and barged their way through anyway with no opposition from the stewards and then they started panicking. When it was my turn they asked whats in my backpack and i told them it was a laptop and they waved me through, no check whatsoever yet there was a massive queue for a lazy search process.... Are other grounds like this?

The stadium isn't fit for football, but it isn't fit for having fun and enjoying yourself either. It is a complete shambles, i have yet to come away from a game having had a laugh or enjoyed myself. At Upton Park you could get spanked 4-0 at home to Wigan and still have a laugh about it...here you can win a game yet have some kind of problem that just completely ruins it. I couldn't do that every week, I'm sure there are people who will enjoy it but even the love of West Ham can't tempt to buy a season ticket in that place. It will never be home because there isn't an one bit of character about it. Funnily enough i don't think its as disastrous as expected in terms of view of the pitch but its not for football regardless.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

For those moaning about the walk across the Park!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46103713
  • The Californian electric scooter business Bird is launching a pilot service on London's Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park.

It is illegal to ride powered scooters on public roads or pavements in the UK but Bird hopes to get the law changed within 12 months.

The company, which operates in around 40 American cities, believes that its pilot scheme - on private land - will demonstrate the usefulness of this hop on, hop off form of transport and its environmental benefits.

The scooters are unlocked with an app, and will only be available between 07:00 and 21:00.

They will then be collected and charged overnight, and Bird says that will mean that the problems with theft, vandalism - and late-night drunks - which have afflicted some bike-sharing schemes, will be avoided.
I don't think they've thought this one through with the day-time drunks at our matches!
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footb ... visit.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A couple of points from this piece about the new Juventus stadium,

'With a capacity of just over 41,000, it isn’t a huge stadium, but by Italian standards the fans are very close to the pitch and can whip up quite an atmosphere.'

'Like all big clubs, Juventus face a dilemma, which is embodied by the composition of the spectators at home matches. The usual crowd is a split between tourists from all over the globe, and die-hard fans.
In 2018 it’s clearer than ever where the riches lie - with supporters and tourists from far afield - but no club wants to completely alienate their faithful old followers.'

No club? :?
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

The Gibbins wrote:I went to the Spurs game last week and that was more than a year passed since the last time i went to the stadium. I just have absolutely no enthusiasm for it.
Really good post mate, sums up nearly word for word what me and my mate were saying when we left the ground after the spurs game, it's just rubbish over there and kills any excitement of going to watch us play.
CB_CB

Post by CB_CB »

Baffles me why so many still only use the main bridge

it may be the shortest route, but both before and after games it is definitely not the quickest way in/out wether you are headed to Stratford or Stratford International

and extra 5 mins walking tie cuts out all the queues at security, as well as the huge crowd and stop go signs which are on the main bridge and nowhere else at the end

#d rather walk a bit further but get there faster myself
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

CB_CB wrote:Baffles me why so many still only use the main bridge

it may be the shortest route, but both before and after games it is definitely not the quickest way in/out wether you are headed to Stratford or Stratford International

and extra 5 mins walking tie cuts out all the queues at security, as well as the huge crowd and stop go signs which are on the main bridge and nowhere else at the end

#d rather walk a bit further but get there faster myself
You should have kept that to yourself mate. People can be like sheep, all following the one in front. I'm like you, prefer to walk further with less crowding and queuing.
ornchurch ammer
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by ornchurch ammer »

Stop/Go boards have been added this year by the access to the Carpenters Rd bridge.
How a road gets too congested I don't know.
Big George
Total likes: 274 likes

Post by Big George »

JUDGE PREPARES TO OVERSEE SEAT DISPUTE AT WEST HAM'S LONDON STADIUM
By Brian Farmer, Press Association
Bosses at Premier League football club West Ham are preparing for a High Court fight over the use of seats at their London Stadium.
Directors are embroiled in a dispute with arena owners E20 Stadium over how many seats can be used on match days.
The two sides also disagree over whether the stadium owners should apply for safety certificates which would increase capacity from 57,000 to 60,000.
A trial is due to start at the High Court in London later this month.
Detail of the case has emerged in a judge's ruling on a preliminary issue.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

ornchurch ammer wrote:How a road gets too congested I don't know.
You've not been on the M25 at rush hour then :wink:

I think I found a route in the other day which completely avoids the security checks... I should be shocked or surprised but I'm not. Will try it out at the Man City game if the queues are building up.
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

ornchurch ammer wrote:Stop/Go boards have been added this year by the access to the Carpenters Rd bridge.
How a road gets too congested I don't know.
They were saying on Saturday that the station was too crowded. One or two pointed out quite loudly that they were going for a drink and not anywhere near any station. One day soon people are going to push straight through those lollipops.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

you have to wonder what legal jurisdiction a minimum wage nobody in hi vis holding a lollipop has over your right to walk down a public road.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

You're a football fan and can therefore be treated like the criminal scum they think you are.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3445 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Beavis Danzig wrote:you have to wonder what legal jurisdiction a minimum wage nobody in hi vis holding a lollipop has over your right to walk down a public road.
It's a private site (hence the new bike trial).
Lt. Discussion

Post by Lt. Discussion »

Beavis Danzig wrote:you have to wonder what legal jurisdiction a minimum wage nobody in hi vis holding a lollipop has over your right to walk down a public road.
They don’t have any. But being British we just love a queue and complying with a request. I’ve said it before on here. I just walk through. Proper hard me! Seriously though it’s not a show, I do it on principle as I’m never going anywhere near the station after the game.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Remember it is not the largely younger stewards on minimum wage who are to blame. They are the messenger not the message

It will be the overpaid and incompetent middle management sat on their arse in some office or control centre responsible for the clusterfek.