Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

sharphammer

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by sharphammer »

coyi27 wrote:Just watching the Napoli match and their fans are even further away from the pitch than ours yet they create an incredible atmosphere. They constantly whistle when the opposition has the ball and there is a sector constantly singing. Next year it should be a priority creating a singing zone.
I don't get this 'singing zone' business... If you want to sing then sing, if you don't then don't, irrelevant of where your sat

Now Standing zones I understand, but not singing
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Makes me laugh all this Roma / Lazio / Napoli do it, why can't we.

Complete different fan cultures, complete different crowds.

When Palace do similar over here they're roundly mocked as well...
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

I mean get the right people in the right areas. Always easier to sing when you're sat next to a group of people who let's say go to away games then if you're sat next to a family with young kids.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 516 likes
Total likes: 1311 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

coyi27 wrote:Just watching the Napoli match and their fans are even further away from the pitch than ours yet they create an incredible atmosphere. They constantly whistle when the opposition has the ball and there is a sector constantly singing. Next year it should be a priority creating a singing zone.
To be fair. Having been to that stadium, and having been warned in the stand. If you expect to stay in Curva A or Curva B you need to be standing, you need to be shouting, you need to be bouncing or you are not welcome. Seat numbers mean nothing, tickets mean nothing. It's absolute chaos and if someone wants your space more than you, they'll have it.

****ing amazing mind you.
HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I should add that in Napoli's ground, you can see f*** all when in the lower tier :lol: we had no clue if the ball was going in when it was kicked towards goal along the ground!
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

sharphammer wrote:I don't get this 'singing zone' business... If you want to sing then sing, if you don't then don't, irrelevant of where your sat
Here let me help you, it's quite simple:

In the old days of terracing the like-minded could all congregate together and create a din. In the days of fixed designated seating it's impossible to do that.
HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 »

HammerMan2004 wrote:I should add that in Napoli's ground, you can see **** all when in the lower tier :lol: we had no clue if the ball was going in when it was kicked towards goal along the ground!
https://s12.postimg.org/qmtync5p9/IMG_4217.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The front row of the lower tier. (We didn't stay there).
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

Sounds fantastic 2004.
leveller

Post by leveller »

dvincent wrote:Completely agree. As much as it helps to be close to the pitch to generate an atmosphere, Napoli are proving that we can still make the place intimidating with the running track.
Napoli are a club in contenintal Europe with a completely different culture and fan culture, set of regulations towards standing (they might have all-seater but I doubt there's any attempt to get people to sit down). Italian club's generally have big ultra "curves" where the fans do what they want and the club have little or no control in those areas. The two clearly aren't comparable.

I've been to see Union Berlin in a circa 25k stadium and it was a better atmosphere than I've probably ever seen in any PL stadium. Does that mean all we have to do is reduce the capacity of the ground to circa 25k and we'll have the best atmosphere in the PL? Or could it possibly be for numerous other reasons?
HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 »

coyi27 wrote:Sounds fantastic 2004.
One of the best football related things I've ever experienced. I've got a video that didn't do it justice. Higuain scored a hat trick that night.

Absolutely pissed it down, roof doesn't cover the lower tier at all, we got soaked through and got to the point where my mate and I just didn't care. As the Italians huddled at the back of the lower tier (under the upper tier) my mate and I danced in the pouring rain at the front of the stand as the crowd cheered.

We befriended an American guy who was living over there and working for the military in some way. He taught us the songs and what to shout and when.

Just thinking about it makes me want to go back. Was a weekend trip last time and we went to Pompeii the day after!

Edit: just remembered, when we were trying to get tickets on the day of the game we had to provide passports and a National Insurance number to "prove we weren't English hooligans" :lol:
sharphammer

Post by sharphammer »

WestHamIFC wrote:
Here let me help you, it's quite simple:

In the old days of terracing the like-minded could all congregate together and create a din. In the days of fixed designated seating it's impossible to do that.
Thanks for clearing that up.....

Key word in your reply was terracing, I repeat I understand the want for standing zones

You also say it's impossible in designated seating, so what's the point in trying to create singing zones in seats?

So yes, create a standing zone and you'll naturally get singing I suppose. But don't try and create singing zones in seated areas (because it's impossible?) and because it'll be ****!
coyi27

Post by coyi27 »

HammerMan2004 wrote:
One of the best football related things I've ever experienced. I've got a video that didn't do it justice. Higuain scored a hat trick that night.

Absolutely pissed it down, roof doesn't cover the lower tier at all, we got soaked through and got to the point where my mate and I just didn't care. As the Italians huddled at the back of the lower tier (under the upper tier) my mate and I danced in the pouring rain at the front of the stand as the crowd cheered.

We befriended an American guy who was living over there and working for the military in some way. He taught us the songs and what to shout and when.

Just thinking about it makes me want to go back. Was a weekend trip last time and we went to Pompeii the day after!

Edit: just remembered, when we were trying to get tickets on the day of the game we had to provide passports and a National Insurance number to "prove we weren't English hooligans" :
Sounds just like the London Stadium last night :wink:
leveller

Post by leveller »

sharphammer wrote:You also say it's impossible in designated seating, so what's the point in trying to create singing zones in seats?
Well, the point is to congregate people together that want to sing because they can't naturally congregate together on the day in reserved seating areas. The TBL was such an area, it evolved naturally though. Celtic's "safe standing" area isn't really that much different to the TBL, everyone still has a designated spot. If standing areas are ever introduced then that form of rail-seating will be the first to be allowed. Actual terracing is miles off, even half of the people that campaign for safe standing start out with "we're not looking for a return to the days of open terracing but.." Personally I think we should be looking for that, but anyway.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

I haven't seen the latest figures, but policing at the LS averaged about 75 grand a game for the first 6 games. That's almost the entire amount for our last season at the BG.

Sounds as though they've spiralled since then.

Then there's the stewarding costs due to be published on top. That's another tenner.

It's a financial black hole :lol:
MD_HM
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 343 likes

Post by MD_HM »

Doc H Ball wrote: It's a financial black hole :lol:
Which is why I always thought some point down the line the club will just buy it outright... doubtful under the current owners but could perhaps make it more appealing to investors, which would explain why they structured the deal in this way hoping to sell up for a big payday.

Don't mention the fake legacy b*llocks... money is the only thing talking here
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1949 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Let's hope it eats up a load more then.

I agree with you that the best hope was to chuck all the money saved on running costs etc into the squad to steal a march whilst other Clubs are having to pay back building costs. If that doesn't happen soon, we'll lose whatever advantage it's given us.

It's turned out to be both State Aid in that the taxpayer is being screwed and of no financial advantage to the Club, which is a remarkable feat. When the 2 old codgers totter off with circa 600 million in their wills, it will go down as one hell of a blag. You actually have to take your little Politburo hat off to General Sullivan.
IronworksDave

Post by IronworksDave »

NorthBankAlliance wrote:Makes me laugh all this Roma / Lazio / Napoli do it, why can't we.

Complete different fan cultures, complete different crowds
Roma average 28,000 (in a 72,000 stadium), Lazio average 19,000 (in a 70,000 stadium), Napoli average 33,000 (in a 60,000 stadium) .....

http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance ... 16-2017/1/

So what exactly do Roma / Lazio / Napoli do? they can't even half fill their grounds .....
HammerMan2004

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Some Napoli tickets were as low as 11€ too. So it's not like fans are priced out.
The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Post by The Rebirth »

HammerMan2004 wrote:Some Napoli tickets were as low as 11€ too. So it's not like fans are priced out.
This is the biggest killer to English Stadia atmosphere than anything else... young lads cannot afford to go. Where as in Germany for instance you could go watch Schalke for 15 euro that includes transport to the game a drink too...

Considering we make the most money out of all the other European Leagues (TV revenue) we charge the most to watch them too.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

part of rip off britain