Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Marky
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Marky »

Question.

What is the quickest journey from the stadium to Hackney Wick ? People on here say 10 minutes but I can never do it in that time. I follow the signs (I thought) is there a shortcut? I come from Entrance B
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2402 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

i would say it is about 12 minute walk via White Post Lane
e1hammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by e1hammer »

So, now not only are we not likely to have the cheapest season tickets in league. Thanks to Brent Council we won't have the biggest stadium in the London next season.
Porkeyes
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porkeyes »

Let them have Wembley next year it's pony. Wembley for a one off special occaision is a good day out but playing there all the time would take the shine off it. Week in week out it's another soulless place only slightly better than our joke of a stadium.

Just one point. If the Spurs do get to any cup semi or final next year I hope the FA move the fixture to a neutral ground which was the original point of it all in the first place.Even this year doesn't sit properly with me given they've played CL games there.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Marky wrote:What is the quickest journey from the stadium to Hackney Wick ? People on here say 10 minutes but I can never do it in that time. I follow the signs (I thought) is there a shortcut? I come from Entrance B
I do it in about 10 minutes - walking briskly along the Loop Road or the canal. However long it currently takes you, once the new ticket office and entrance is complete at the end of the year - according to the feasibility study will cut 155 seconds off the walking time from Olympic Park.
https://www.london.gov.uk/moderngov/doc ... ix%201.pdf
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 520 likes
Total likes: 1314 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39375815" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So would Spurs get all the money from playing here? After all, they didn't help to build the stadium. One would assume the additional revenue just falls into the FA's coffers.

But we all know Spurs will rake it in, and nobody will be batting an eyelid.
brooking10
Total likes: 1 like

Post by brooking10 »

I thought Spurs were restricted to using the lower tier only as Wembley have got a licence to stage a limited amount of events per year at full capacity? Irrelevant anyway really, as there's no way they'll sell 90k tickets for every (any?) game and I'm sure any increase in capacity is reflected in their rent.
Luke (THFC)

Post by Luke (THFC) »

HammerMan2004 wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39375815" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So would Spurs get all the money from playing here? After all, they didn't help to build the stadium. One would assume the additional revenue just falls into the FA's coffers.

But we all know Spurs will rake it in, and nobody will be batting an eyelid.
We will of course be paying the FA rent. The figure I saw previously was £15 million for the season. I'm not sure whether or not that same rent will still apply now the stadium will operate at full capacity or whether it will be increased. I would say that £15 million plus is a pretty good deal for the FA wouldn't you?
Luke (THFC)

Post by Luke (THFC) »

brooking10 wrote:I thought Spurs were restricted to using the lower tier only as Wembley have got a licence to stage a limited amount of events per year at full capacity? Irrelevant anyway really, as there's no way they'll sell 90k tickets for every (any?) game and I'm sure any increase in capacity is reflected in their rent.
See the link. Previously the deal was that we could have the stadium at full capacity for 5 games and the reduced capacity of of 51,000 for the other games. Last night Brent council approved up to an additional 22 games at full capacity. So a maximum of 27 games at 90,000 are still allowed.

Whether or not we sell 90k tickets for every game will of course depend on the pricing. All four of the games we played there this year sold out however (even the UEFA Cup game). So it will all be about the pricing. I am looking forward to seeing the season ticket pricing (hoping I can get a Club Wembley ticket next season for a steal!)
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

you'll sell out no doubt, but it'll only further dilute the support and create an atmosphere of half interested tourists and entitled part timers. it'll seem fine if you play well and get a result over 90 minutes (even then expect half of them to leave around the 85th minute) but if anything goes wrong it'll quickly turn into a place that doubles down on the team's anxieties rather than fortifies them, with the players seeing thousands throwing up the white flag and streaming for the exits every time they look up.
Luke (THFC)

Post by Luke (THFC) »

Beavis Danzig wrote:you'll sell out no doubt, but it'll only further dilute the support and create an atmosphere of half interested tourists and entitled part timers. it'll seem fine if you play well and get a result over 90 minutes (even then expect half of them to leave around the 85th minute) but if anything goes wrong it'll quickly turn into a place that doubles down on the team's anxieties rather than fortifies them, with the players seeing thousands throwing up the white flag and streaming for the exits every time they look up.
That will make us feel as though we are back home at White Hart Lane :D
Neil Orr fan club

Post by Neil Orr fan club »

you'll sell out no doubt, but it'll only further dilute the support and create an atmosphere of half interested tourists and entitled part timers. it'll seem fine if you play well and get a result over 90 minutes (even then expect half of them to leave around the 85th minute) but if anything goes wrong it'll quickly turn into a place that doubles down on the team's anxieties rather than fortifies them, with the players seeing thousands throwing up the white flag and streaming for the exits every time they look up.

Sums up the OS pretty well
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 935 likes
Total likes: 1951 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

Maybe we'll come to like the OS more as other Clubs move home, build new stadia and go for the theatre market. A race to the same anodyne bottom.

I still say that it would be a marketing coup to build a ground with 4 huge cattle sheds, trough bogs and cans of Stella and lardy bread en masse.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Neil Orr fan club wrote:Sums up the OS pretty well
if only ours was temporary too.
PC Hammer

Post by PC Hammer »

West Ham are the Del Boy of the London clubs when it comes to stadia. We have done ours on the absolute cheap and when something is not yours let alone something you didn't actually want in the first place what do the club expect from us fans who have only known the Boleyn as home ?

Just look at at what Arsenal have done, what Spurs and Chelsea are planning. Even QPR are looking to up their stakes with a 40k place.

Recent polls have shown a deep undercurrent of dis-satisfaction with the new place which will not change unless the team on the pitch challenge for a European place on a regular basis or get to semi-finals / finals of the FA Cup or the League Cup.

Granted this will paper over the cracks that is the new place but it will go a long way to soften the blow.

After all a world class team for a world class stadium was the shout wasn't it ?

That needs to happen damn soon.

Poor signings, erratic football, shocking home defeats by conceding 3 goals plus on numerous occasions this season will only see the acceptance of the LS as our home as a distant dream.
letchworth hammer

West Ham Stadium in the summer

Post by letchworth hammer »

What will happen to all of the wraps and signage that West Ham have put up. There is quite a lot of concerts and the summer athletics, do you think the council or LLP will rip it out or leave it in place to remind everyone who it belongs to now? :scarfer:
Hammerite

Re: West Ham Stadium in the summer

Post by Hammerite »

letchworth hammer wrote:do you think the council or LLP will rip it out or leave it in place to remind everyone who it belongs to now?
Spot the deliberate mistake :fsake:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1852 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

The athletics world championships demand a 'clean' stadium, one with no branding of any kind, so most if not all of it will go. They're trying to keep the West Ham United letters on the roof but it's down to the athletics mob.

Just to remind everyone who it really belongs to.
e1hammer
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by e1hammer »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:The athletics world championships demand a 'clean' stadium, one with no branding of any kind, so most if not all of it will go. They're trying to keep the West Ham United letters on the roof but it's down to the athletics mob.

Just to remind everyone who it really belongs to.
If the letters remain on the roof they will need to be boxed in, they are trying to work out if that's cheaper or simply take them down.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

joke really. shows you what a farce seb coe has created. a legacy of mismanagement and costs for all concerned. Also the bad will towards genuine sports fans who turn up every fortnight to fill the bowl notonce a year or so for a meeting.

sooner this comes to a head the better. I think if costs continue to spiral then a serious rethink and a possibility of a sale to WHU may be on the cards. Brady for all her faults seems to have done a good financial deal for us and has screwed the other parties in relation to costs. Maybe she will in a strange way be the saviour of our club. That is something that is difficult to think of right now but who knows.

one thing for sure we need to own the bowl to make it fit for its proper purpose; football.