Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

trick88

Re: Wrap, digital screen and West Ham United signs confirmed

Post by trick88 »

Aztec Hammer wrote:Good that it doesn't go from bottom to top fully imo. The patterns of the underneaths of the rows showing through give massive character, like the Olimpico.
Completely agree Aztec. Glad the West Ham United signs got the go ahead too after hearing they failed in that attempt a couple of months ago.
WestHamIFC

Re: The wrap

Post by WestHamIFC »

bengeo wrote:
From the planning docs. Click on image to enlarge.

So is this the version which has now finally been approved?:

http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2016 ... reen-light
likemydreams
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by likemydreams »

im happier about the "west ham united" sign for me that was the one thing that's etched into my head when I think of our old stadium
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Re: Atmosphere at the stadium

Post by Tenbury »

Good idea,maybe go a bit further..any one who's decided halfway through the season that they'd rather not bother,let the ST go back to someone on the WL ,or preferably just to me.
likemydreams

Post by likemydreams »

As long as the atmosphere is better than the Boylen (in recent years) I'm happy
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 690 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

Tenbury wrote:I'm pretty new to this forum,so this might have been covered before,but don't run away with the idea that ALL the new ST holders(or like me and my lad WL ers) are all some kind of plastic Palace type..
I'm with you on this.

It really does wind me up the way long term season ticket holders turn there nose up at any new support. Talk as though our home support is amazing blah blah blah, when in the whole its been pretty **** in all honesty.

We should be embracing the extra 20/30k support we are attracting. And you never know, we might have a whole new generation of support that don't talk b*llocks on a weekly basis
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

The answer is simple. I am sure the club will follow the champions example.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -them.html

As it says, clappers became a permanent addition to matchday atmospheres, coinciding with a run of wins that saw Leicester pull off the great escape.

This season only Arsenal inflicted defeat at the King Power.

Before clappers, Leicester collected 11 points from their 13 Premier League home matches, at a rate of 0.85 points per game. In the 15 matches at their ground since, Leicester have accumulated 33 points, at a rate of 2.2 points per game.

:asleep:
AntiHero

Post by AntiHero »

NorthBankAlliance wrote:European supports **** all over English ones.

To compare the crowd we'll be getting at the OS to Napoli's is absurd...

Does anyone really think the extra 20,000+ new STHs are going to be on their feet following a capo chanting?
I had a season ticket for 5 years through the years of Zola, Avram, Pardew etc.

This was when I was a child and as life goes at 16 I was on my own financially, and couldn't afford it living on my own with bills etc.

5 years on, I can now only finally afford one and it just so happens that it is the year of the move. I'm not a plastic supporter and will be gutted if the people I'm around are quiet! So it's not fair to generalise :)
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

chalks wrote:It really does wind me up the way long term season ticket holders turn there nose up at any new support. Talk as though our home support is amazing blah blah blah, when in the whole its been pretty **** in all honesty.

We should be embracing the extra 20/30k support we are attracting. And you never know, we might have a whole new generation of support that don't talk b*llocks on a weekly basis
Amen. In any case a massive number of the supposedly 'new' support is actually old support coming back!

Many previously priced out of the Boleyn, but can now afford a ticket. Or others for whom the inaccessibility of Upton Park meant bring their kids wasn't feasible so had to give up their seat, but now are returning and adding to our next generation of fans.

Our extra support is a huge positive, not a negative.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

WestHamIFC wrote: Amen. In any case a massive number of the supposedly 'new' support is actually old support coming back!

Many previously priced out of the Boleyn, but can now afford a ticket. Or others for whom the inaccessibility of Upton Park meant bring their kids wasn't feasible so had to give up their seat, but now are returning and adding to our next generation of fans.

Our extra support is a huge positive, not a negative.
Very true about returning fans. I have not been able to go for a couple of years, but had my first season ticket in 1978. I have spoken to quite a few Hammers that have bought their first season ticket for decades, mainly due to pricing and transport links.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Sweeney Bod wrote:Very true about returning fans. I have not been able to go for a couple of years, but had my first season ticket in 1978. I have spoken to quite a few Hammers that have bought their first season ticket for decades, mainly due to pricing and transport links.
Over 30 years since I last had a season ticket and now returning. If I ever go to a match with my daughter she's always embarrassed at the amount of noise I make!
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

I've been to games at the Boleyn where the atmosphere was banging. The old "Upton Park under the lights". I've also been to games at the Boleyn where you could hear the proverbial pin drop. In between chorus' of boos of course.

It looks like there's going to be near on 60k of us at that ground every week. It will be as noisy and atmospheric as we all choose to make it. No amount of acoustics can make up for a crowd where everyone sits down in stony faced silence.
likemydreams

Post by likemydreams »

I've not had a season ticket since the 90s and I know loads like me who are coming back due to cost travel ect I think people are going to be shocked by the atmosphere ! Oldskool
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

AlfieG said " As it says, clappers became a permanent addition to matchday atmospheres, coinciding with a run of wins that saw Leicester pull off the great escape."

Who needs clappers like Leicester fans had...?
My knee joints make more noise than that!! :wink:
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

sendô wrote:It looks like there's going to be near on 60k of us at that ground every week. It will be as noisy and atmospheric as we all choose to make it. No amount of acoustics can make up for a crowd where everyone sits down in stony faced silence.
Indeed... I was at the Ireland - Italy rugby last year and the East stand roof actually amplifies the noise. The Paddys got a good volume going with their singing. But as has been said, the fans have got to make the noise in the first place.
cockney farmer wrote:it's not the roof , the distance , the running track , it's the fans , we aren't always great at the Boleyn so with fans spread out across a new stadium get ready for away fans taking the piss regularly
cf - one favourable thing we may have sound-wise is where we have been able to form groups and sit together. Where you have groups of friends together (in our case 21 - 3 rows of 7 but the largest group I've heard of is 55 !) people will interact better so we won't be as spread out as might be imagined.
RayleighHammer23

Post by RayleighHammer23 »

likemydreams wrote:I've not had a season ticket since the 90s and I know loads like me who are coming back due to cost travel ect I think people are going to be shocked by the atmosphere ! Oldskool
I sincerely hope that’s true, I am somewhat of a new age supporter (2008 on) so would love it if those around me actually bothered to sing and chant, at the very least clap to make some kind of noise.

I’m a band 3 ticket so am in the make noise when we are good or very very bad section. The fact that the band 4 from Bobby Lower and Chav corner will be in sections together should insure that there is some kind of atmosphere. If they get something going about a quarter of the band 3’s tend to join in. Hopefully with 55k of us it will be something special.
RayleighHammer23

Post by RayleighHammer23 »

"Look and feel like the unmistakable home of West Ham United." Is KB's tagline.

I dare say that without the wrap nothing about the Mahindra Stadium would look like the home of West Ham. This is a great victory, well done to the board for persisting.
jamine16

Post by jamine16 »

From what I understand, the wrap that was supposed to be a screen all the way round is now just a single screen at one end with the rest being a tarpaulin type thing.

Apparently newham council knocked back the original pan due to excessive light emissions.
WebmasterFF
Has liked: 30 likes
Total likes: 152 likes

Post by WebmasterFF »

jamine16 wrote:From what I understand, the wrap that was supposed to be a screen all the way round is now just a single screen at one end with the rest being a tarpaulin type thing.

Apparently newham council knocked back the original pan due to excessive light emissions.
If I remember right, part of the Olympic stadium is close to a wildlife conservation area, hence why they would not allow massive screens there and (let's face it) it would look silly if one side had no screen wrap when the rest did. I think what they have done is a good rebalance
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

jamine16 wrote:From what I understand, the wrap that was supposed to be a screen all the way round is now just a single screen at one end with the rest being a tarpaulin type thing.
The original design was not a 'screen' but thousands of LEDs suspended by bits of wire. This didn't provide a decent enough resolution for high quality images and probably wouldn't have suited requirements of sponsors/advertisers. It also provided no protection to the concourse from wind and rain!

You get an idea of the resolution from this taken from the planning docs: