Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by kayahammer »

A huge leap in the right direction would be to have retractable, or dismantelable terracing for standing. How envious would other clubs' supporters be if we had 'safe' standing.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

bubbles500 wrote:Has anybody answered the league cup question if drawn at home ? Presume only possibility is to have to play it away?
Well the club will be hoping for an away draw to save them having to do anything
marshboy

Post by marshboy »

[quote="Pop Robson"][quote="bubbles500"]Has anybody answered the league cup question if drawn at home ?

the game would have to be played at natural ground .There is no way we could ask for an away game as this would be " fixing " the draw
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

kayahammer wrote:A huge leap in the right direction would be to have retractable, or dismantelable terracing for standing. How envious would other clubs' supporters be if we had 'safe' standing.
Why would other clubs be envious.We wouldn't solely be granted safe standing it would be across the board.Im pretty sure spurs have built there single tier with safe standing in mind,to mirror dortmunds yellow wall.Im afraid to say that's something to be envious of .And I don't think any changes can be implemented till the mayors report is done.
mushy
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

Plenty of complaints from Joe Public as regards the stewarding, safety checks and the time taken to get back to the tube (90 mins) after last nights Robbie concert.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

mushy wrote:Plenty of complaints from Joe Public as regards the stewarding, safety checks and the time taken to get back to the tube (90 mins) after last nights Robbie concert.
Been same for all the concerts this summer.However much the move was a bad call ,the idiots running the stadium made the whole migration x10 worse.
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

Would it be cheaper for tax payers if the government converted the London Stadium to football specific ground and sell it off to West Ham?
Alfiehammer

Post by Alfiehammer »

Thekorean wrote:Would it be cheaper for tax payers if the government converted the London Stadium to football specific ground and sell it off to West Ham?

How exactly do you turn a circle into a rectangle without knocking the thing down?
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 703 likes
Total likes: 1634 likes

Post by chalks »

mushy wrote:Plenty of complaints from Joe Public as regards the stewarding, safety checks and the time taken to get back to the tube (90 mins) after last nights Robbie concert.

To be fair, anyone that goes to a Robbie Williams concert deserves everything they get
Coops
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 588 likes

Post by Coops »

Alfiehammer wrote:
How exactly do you turn a circle into a rectangle without knocking the thing down?
Keep the circle outside but build the stands in more of a rectangular shape. It is all made out of macarno anyway.
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

marshboy wrote:
the game would have to be played at natural ground
Well we don't have a natural ground so likely to be away (doubt neutral)
hamstas_paradise
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by hamstas_paradise »

Coops wrote:
Keep the circle outside but build the stands in more of a rectangular shape. It is all made out of macarno anyway.
I assume that was tongue in cheek........ But just in case, while it wouldn't cost the three quarters of a billion tax payers money spent on it so far, I suspect knocking it down and rebuilding a new design would cost several hundred million. Where would that come from? It is what it is and will be that way until some future club owners are oligarchs and can buy it and replace it.
Coops
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 588 likes

Post by Coops »

hamstas_paradise wrote:
I assume that was tongue in cheek........ But just in case, while it wouldn't cost the three quarters of a billion tax payers money spent on it so far, I suspect knocking it down and rebuilding a new design would cost several hundred million. Where would that come from? It is what it is and will be that way until some future club owners are oligarchs and can buy it and replace it.
It wont happen. it could happen but it wont.
What will happen is pretty much nothing. There will be a few improvements as time goes on but the ground we have now will pretty much be the ground we have in 10 years time. Some people will stop going, some will grumble less, others will just accept it.

I do wonder what will happen longer term though. We have a 99 year lease, surely that stadium can't last 20 even if it is a Triggers broom of a stadium by then.
hamstas_paradise
Has liked: 26 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by hamstas_paradise »

Ah, Trigger's Broom, the old Ship of Theseus paradox, as discussed by Plato. Nice to have a bit of ancient Greek philosophy to start the day.

Plato, they say, could stick it away, half a crate of whisky every day. :D

Agreed, the stadium won't change significantly in my lifetime!
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 746 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I think we all agree that it wont change much until either we buy it or athletics goes, hopefully both soon.

It will then need a new permanent lower tier to be built. Rich new owners are also needed.

The stadium wouldnt be too bad if they at least did a few cosmetic things which we know they cant for branding reasons and athletics mode.

claret bowl, claret seats, cover the grey slabs.

other than that we will have to wait new owners.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Moore Stephens report into the stadium should be finished and club have probably seen it .I think it's due to go public by end of summer.Its gonna be very interesting to see what exactly £330m was spent on,cause that's pretty hard to understand right now.
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

hammerman11 wrote:other than that we will have to wait new owners.
Still can't work out why new owners would be motivated to spend hundreds of millions rebuilding the stadium.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by Rio »

The 90 minute thing again exacerbated by people who don't go to the place week in, week out and all heading to the same focal point I.e. Stratford station. It's never taken me more than 15-20 minutes to get any station I choose to use.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

What I don't get is people say our gate revenue has only gone up £11m.yet spurs is going up about £50m.Appreciate spurs will have about an extra 5k as things stand and they can charge top dollar as it will be state of the art.But was it worth moving for an extra £11m a year ,you can make that up in positions in table almost.
Corney Beal

Post by Corney Beal »

Rio wrote:
The 90 minute thing again exacerbated by people who don't go to the place week in, week out and all heading to the same focal point I.e. Stratford station. It's never taken me more than 15-20 minutes to get any station I choose to use.

Made worse this weekend as the DLR line to Stratford was down due to engineering works.