Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

nickstanley66 wrote:Would people have been happy to move to Stratford if it was a purpose built Football ground?
Lots (85%?) were happy to move to a non-purpose built football ground. It's one of the main reasons why we are there!
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 777 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

55k irons being loud when we're playing nice football and beating a massive club has no bearing on the OS's suitability as a football ground and i hate that it gets used as a ringing endorsement every time we overcome its natural shortfalls to get some noise going. we'd be making the same noise gathered round a pitch drawn in chalk on an old industrial estate.
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

[quote="?[/quote]

Lots (85%?) were happy to move to a non-purpose built football ground. It's one of the main reasons why we are there![/quote]

Disagree. The deal was signed & sealed before Brady would risk a poll - even a dodgy one.
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 876 likes

Post by mushy »

I thought the 85% poll came about after our friends from North London showed their hands.
The Kumb polls were mainly against the move prior to that.
We didn't really fancy having that stadium until the Spurs wanted it, the club timed that particular 85% poll well.
They also carefully worded the questions, basically if you didn't say you were 200% against the move, by default you were in favour.
It was a complete fiddle.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Only 11,858 fans actually took part in the poll, many of those Bond and Season ticket holders.

The poll asked fans to agree with JUST ONE of the following statements...

I support the move as it will bring a better fan experience - (12% approx 1,440 fans)
I support the move as it will provide resources to improve the squad and club - (51% approx 6,120 fans)
I support the move as it will grow the level of our support - (6% approx 720 fans)
I support the move as I trust the club directors - (16% approx 1,920 fans)
I would consider supporting the move but need more information - (10% approx 1,200 fans)
I am against the move under any circumstances - (5% approx 600 fans)

This poll was placed at the end of a presentation deck that outlined reasons why the stadium would bring a better fan experience, provide the club and team with improved resources and allow us to grow our support...

Had the questions been asked in a very different way and had fans not been spoon fed a whole host or reasons why the club would benefit from the move in the lead up to making their choice, I have no doubt that the results would have been 50/50 at best.

Playing devils advocate, the club could have published a story with the heading...
Less Than 2k Fans Trust The Club Directors

I guess Lady Brady chose to ignore that slant to the poll.
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 876 likes

Post by mushy »

Thanks Sutts, knew the figures were something like that but don't think I have seen those exact ones before.
Am surprised anyone was given access by the club to these figures.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

mushy wrote:Thanks Sutts, knew the figures were something like that but don't think I have seen those exact ones before.
Am surprised anyone was given access by the club to these figures.
BBC ran a story on it at the time, I guess there was less to cover up or hide back then.
brownout

Post by brownout »

I wrote a piece on the poll for KUMB. It's somewhere in the archives but I can't find it now.
Before I submitted it I spoke to a senior person at Yougov. Let's say he didn't agree with some of the points I raised and I thought it prudent to make some changes in the article.
The poll was a farce.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 762 likes
Total likes: 3496 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

brownout wrote:I wrote a piece on the poll for KUMB. It's somewhere in the archives but I can't find it now.
Here'd be a good place to begin, I'd imagine - one of these?

http://www.kumb.com/articles_auth.php?a ... er%20caton
brownout

Post by brownout »

Here it is, thanks.

http://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=3539" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Big George
Has liked: 126 likes
Total likes: 279 likes

Post by Big George »

Remember all those stories about the Olympic Park being built on a toxic dump?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45864238" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not great...
Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

^^^ That site's almost opposite the Beer Merchants Tap - I thought my beer smelt rather fruity when I was in there 2 weeks ago!
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

What time is the Baroness giving evidence tomorrow I'm in need of a good chuckle?
Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

^^^
Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Brady will face the London Assembly Budget Monitoring Sub-Committee on Wednesday afternoon at 2.30pm

Live feed when it happens
Exiledin cardiff
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

Thank you Wembley
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

brownout wrote:
Disagree. The deal was signed & sealed before Brady would risk a poll - even a dodgy one.
I don't think we're in much disagreement & thanks to you and Sutts for pointing out the articles and figures which I do not recall seeing at the time. My point was really that few people then seemed prepared to support initiatives of protest proposed by those such as TPP. As Mushy says the "fiddle" was obvious to some. I was one of the approx. 600 even though I've missed only 5 or 6 games at the new place. It should have been possible to swing that vote more against the move even before mobilising pitchforks & torches.

Anyway, perhaps we can now all agree on a name for the stadium: The "former [hopefully] toxic waste dump"? Just need a sponsor.
Red Kens Slave

Post by Red Kens Slave »

Doc H Ball wrote:Other Clubs pay for stewarding and we don’t.

Our stewarding and policing costs comes to circa £100k per match so the taxpayer spends around twice as much on us for that than they do for any other Club.

Edit - that figure was pre Burnley and went up enormously.

More revelations to come out (one day) on that subject.
Red Kens Slave

Post by Red Kens Slave »

Fear not, the “Olympic Stadium Coalition” have published a cute report that solves all of the issues between WHU and E20.

https://oscoalition.files.wordpress.com ... -final.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Top of the pile is to “abandon the retractable seating”. West Ham should agree to this, waiving the minimum distance rights in the Agreement, to be a “good corporate citizen”. :lol:

The whole thing looks like it was knocked up in the pub in 45 minutes.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 495 likes
Total likes: 1042 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Hahaha that’s the Leyton orient, charlton, Tottenham bums? I thought they’d gone away. I’m sure they could find quite a lot of support from within West Ham fans now but I think we all know deep down that that’s who they really are against.
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

That Olympic Stadium Coalition thing is hilarious.

Whoever is behind it clearly needs to get a new hobby.