Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Smudger1
Has liked: 17 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Smudger1 »

Obviously this will never happen because it requires common sense, agreement and public money, however if you take the suggestion of the Commonwealth games athletics being held in the LS, would it not make more sense financially and central government will at the very least be guaranteeing the funding, for the money saved by not building a 50K+ stadium in Liverpool or Birmingham to be used for proper retractable seating.

The World Championships finished last night and I’m fairly sure that in the original stadium spec the change over time from athletics to football mode with retractable seating was 3 days; absolutely no reason with this system for us to have reversed the Southampton fixture or pay compensation to play away from home in the league cup.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Now that the World Pharmaceutical Championships are over and the contract fulfilled, we can insist on the stadium being fit for the start of future football seasons.

That's if Lady Brady was telling the truth about having primacy during the football season.

If.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Fingers crossed that Lord Coe and UK Athletics, with the backing of just about everyone, takes more and more liberties with the Stratford Bowl, to the point where our clubs becomes merely a pair of shitty pants on an otherwise unblemished washing line, with nothing but a whimper in a voice full of nonsense, for it to rapidly become clear that our position is more and more untenable, all the while unearthing various clauses that force us into an impossible situation in which we have to forcefully evict ourselves and move into a new weed and piss ridden stadium, riddled with asbestos, but has room for 13,000 standing hardcore members.

c****
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Niels De Vos, Head of UK athletics, just on SSN saying they've got the stadium available for athletics every year for the next 50 years so if the IAAF want to use it for yearly athletics championships they are welcome and ready to the idea.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Now that the World Pharmaceutical Championships are over and the contract fulfilled, we can insist on the stadium being fit for the start of future football seasons.

That's if Lady Brady was telling the truth about having primacy during the football season.

If.
Absoutely can insist - it's in the Concession Agreement:
  • Overriding Priority Principle means the principle that all Competitive Matches shall (subject only
    to the Championship Window):
    (a) take precedence over any other activity, event or use of the Stadium; and
    (b) be staged at the Stadium, on the dates that are notified to the Concessionaire Group by a
    Governing Body from time to time.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Fingers crossed that Lord Coe and UK Athletics, with the backing of just about everyone, takes more and more liberties with the Stratford Bowl, to the point where our clubs becomes merely a pair of shitty pants on an otherwise unblemished washing line, with nothing but a whimper in a voice full of nonsense, for it to rapidly become clear that our position is more and more untenable, all the while unearthing various clauses that force us into an impossible situation in which we have to forcefully evict ourselves and move into a new weed and piss ridden stadium, riddled with asbestos, but has room for 13,000 standing hardcore members.

That sounds pretty sexy to me.

Like a more crap Roots Hall.
Wembley1966
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

PC Hammer wrote:A direct route is needed to / from the station avoiding the shopping centre but will not happen due to cost.
Planning permission has been granted for the new entrance to Statford station at Gibbins Road on the Carpenters Estate which will provide a direct route avoiding Westfield.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40926747" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Qadi says that redevelopment was always an alternative option if the club failed to agree terms with UWE.

He added: "It's very important for a football club to own its ground. If you look at examples in history, clubs that do not own their stadiums eventually run into problems."
His opinion as valid as the next person's.
clawhammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by clawhammer »

Wes at the athletics yesterday. For the first time I was sat in the upper tier and right at the back ...row 65. I was pleasantly surprised by the view and by the atmosphere created by an enthusiastic crowd. Having also sat in the gods at Wembley and Old Trafford I think that the stadium compares favourably . If we start getting decent performances from the team I am happy that the stadium will cease to be an issue.
The Anniversary games are on July 27/28 th next year btw.
Francoisvander or else
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by Francoisvander or else »

Surprised no one else picked up on the piece in tonight's London Evening Standard that 2 of the most vaciforous opponents from the Tax Payers Alliance who were opposed to West Ham being granted the use of the stadium on the cheap now both work for none other than............West Ham United :?
sanchoz

Post by sanchoz »

Francoisvander or else wrote:Surprised no one else picked up on the piece in tonight's London Evening Standard that 2 of the most vaciforous opponents from the Tax Payers Alliance who were opposed to West Ham being granted the use of the stadium on the cheap now both work for none other than............West Ham United :?
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/londone ... 11046.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Article being referred to by FVOR
Thekorean
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by Thekorean »

Francoisvander or else wrote:Surprised no one else picked up on the piece in tonight's London Evening Standard that 2 of the most vaciforous opponents from the Tax Payers Alliance who were opposed to West Ham being granted the use of the stadium on the cheap now both work for none other than............West Ham United :?
Nothing fishy going on there, I am sure.
LOS

Post by LOS »

clawhammer wrote: . If we start getting decent performances from the team I am happy that the stadium will cease to be an issue.
For you that maybe so, but for many 1000's of others it will always be an issue. If the configuration we have now is genuinely the best it will ever be, then I worry for the club beyond these honeymoon seasons.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

now the world doping games is over we need to focus on the main issue that GSB have misled us over, seats near to the pitch. The company originally supplying the world class retractable seating went bust so fair enough we ended up on breeze blocks but they have had a year to source a new firm and company.
so the seats should be nearer but I doubt they will.

I have experienced the upper tier a few times last season as a claret member and was not impressed as too far away and you do not feel part of the match. so lower tier only for me. Hopefully the thomas cookers are up in the gods this season.

The stadium needs more west ham branding to cover the grey concrete which the athletics managed easily enough and so should we.
replace the white seats with all claret ones and have the crossed hammers in white in several areas of the ground.
install sky/BT to show the football on the concourses thereby encouraging people to arrive earlier.
allow more local traders onto the concourse such as ribman
subsidise the cheltenham away travel for fans, we should be at home !

If the teamplay well the bowl will generate a good atmosphere the things above will add to it.

westfield not a problem for me as I go through the carpenters estate before and after.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2939 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Thekorean wrote: Nothing fishy going on there, I am sure.
The faint whiff of corruption with regards this entire deal is now turning into a stench .
bengeo
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by bengeo »

hammerman11 wrote:The company originally supplying the world class retractable seating went bust so fair enough we ended up on breeze blocks but they have had a year to source a new firm and company so the seats should be nearer but I doubt they will.
You've said this many times now but the lower tier seats will not be any closer. They are just inside the roof line in the current configuration. On the East side the front row of the upper tier already has a slightly obscured view caused by the fill in seats they drop in to fill the gap when the lower tier is moved forward. That would be even worse if they moved further forward. On the West side the Hospitality middle tier would have their views obscured if the lower tier moved further forward - no way is that going to happen.

There will still be scaffolding and breeze blocks. None of this will change significantly unless the stadium is rebuilt.
Last edited by bengeo on Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sanchoz

Post by sanchoz »

bengeo wrote:
You've said this many times now but the lower tier seats will not be any closer. They are just inside the roof line in the current configuration. On the East side the front row of the upper tier already has a slightly obscured view caused by the fill in seats they drop in to fill the gap when the lower tier is moved forward. That would be even worse if they moved further forward. On the East side the Hospitality middle tier would have their views obscured if the lower tier moved further forward - no way is that going to happen.

There will still be scaffolding and breeze blocks. None of this will change significantly unless the stadium is rebuilt.
And that is the truth. This is it for the configuration of the stadium with relocatable seating on blocks with a myriad of scaffold. Nothing else can or will be done without the political and financial will to make a major modification to the stadium as it exists now.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

sanchoz wrote: This is it for the configuration of the stadium with relocatable seating on blocks with a myriad of scaffold.
I still don't get how Brady likes to call it retracable seating when it is exactly how you describe it. She should be held accountable for misleading many of a fictitious 85%.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

£42 for claret membership and £62 for a Tottenham ticket (included booking fees) = £104 all in. Affordable football my ar*e!
Last edited by Knighter10WHU on Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Knighter10WHU wrote:£42 for claret membership and £62 for a Tottenham ticket (included booking fees) = £104 all in. Affordable football my arse!
The membership is for all season not just 1 game as for 62 I was paying 85 2 seasons aging at the Boleyn for a similar game