Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

griff123

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by griff123 »

hammerman11 wrote:
got challenged by a steward as I walked into 125. she said where is your ticket. I said I am a member its on my card. showed her my phone with ticket numbers on it. she said that's not good enough. I just walked past her and told her I have been here 3 years I don't have time for your crap. walked off with the wife expecting the response squad to stop us. they didn't but wat a state of affairs after 3 years at the dump..
I also got asked for my ticket, I just ignored them and carried on walking to my seat, didn't get stopped or anything.

The other thing that was amusing yesterday, while queuing on the bridge to get in, some steward came up behind me and opened the barrier to the lane that said for tickets and shop so he didn't have to push through all the people, but then stupidly left it open... Me and my mate decided screw queuing, we would follow him which we did as did a few others, some steward ahead of us looked all flustered and didn't know what to do and rather than stop us she spoke to her boss who by the time he looked at the open barrier, there was at least 15 people including us who had walked past security without being searched, madness!
rciron
Has liked: 298 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Left 112 after Lamelas goal for a half time pint, so you can safely say I was in the que at 3.45pm, no card payments, significantly reduced the never ending lines of people, and with ten people behind the jump, ( you coudn't get any more behind there) returned to my seat at 4.20pm, three years in and nothing is better, and £5. For a bottle of bulmers, really? :thdn:
RayleighIrons
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by RayleighIrons »

griff123 wrote:
The other thing that was amusing yesterday, while queuing on the bridge to get in, some steward came up behind me and opened the barrier to the lane that said for tickets and shop so he didn't have to push through all the people, but then stupidly left it open... Me and my mate decided screw queuing, we would follow him which we did as did a few others, some steward ahead of us looked all flustered and didn't know what to do and rather than stop us she spoke to her boss who by the time he looked at the open barrier, there was at least 15 people including us who had walked past security without being searched, madness!
You reble.
Briggsy
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Briggsy »

Westbourne Bill wrote:A steward not understanding that a members match ticket is loaded onto their card? Blimey that’s a pretty shocking basic level of ignorance.
Not trying to cause an argument, but we're the previous two seasons not printed e tickets for members? I'm pretty sure mine we're, although I'm a season ticket holder this year so not sure if it's changed.

Either way, if it has changed then the staff should know about it.
Dwightster

Post by Dwightster »

The impatience is beyond belief of our supporters. I had several behind and to the side of me complaining about the length of the queue and saying "it's not as if we look like terrorists" (whatever that means) because they were doing searches.

Was through to the other side within 2 minutes.
Phil S
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 378 likes

Post by Phil S »

Westbourne Bill wrote:A steward not understanding that a members match ticket is loaded onto their card? Blimey that’s a pretty shocking basic level of ignorance.
And despite Brady's promise, there are still every home game fans of other clubs, wearing their colours in the home stands.

Liverpool fan in 127 with shirt and jacket for the Man United game
Spurs fans in 131 yesterday
Man United fans in the home stand yesterday (not sure which block, I saw the photo on twitter)
RayleighIrons
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by RayleighIrons »

Why would a Man U fan turn up at our place in there colours? Says more about him being a 'c u next Tuesday' than anything else.'
Rasp
Has liked: 47 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by Rasp »

RayleighIrons wrote:Why would a Man U fan turn up at our place in there colours? Says more about him being a 'c u next Tuesday' than anything else.'
Its Saturday, the next game is on Saturday... :D
James P
Has liked: 27 likes
Total likes: 169 likes

Post by James P »

Back in the OS forum days the fact that neutrals would be able to turn up and watch a game and spend their money at our club was one of the positives of the move.
Smudger1
Has liked: 17 likes

Post by Smudger1 »

James P wrote:Back in the OS forum days the fact that neutrals would be able to turn up and watch a game and spend their money at our club was one of the positives of the move.
And so it should, anything with the potential to expand the fan base should be welcome; but the wearing of colours shouldn’t be. I wouldn’t dream of wearing WHU colours when invited by friends to watch Brighton, Wrexham or QPR.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

Apparently according to twitter 5 ejections for wearing or support spurs in the home areas yesterday

At least the other 1000 kept quite and didn't wear colours !!!
MadaHammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by MadaHammer »

I normally walk past the carpenters from the front of Stratford. It's a barron walk and other than a few people shouting "irons" as you go under the bridge you wouldn't know you were walking to a football match. Yesterday we had more time so went what I would consider the main route from Stratford. If you walk towards the stadium where you can see the big screen you do get more of a feeling that you are attending a game.

The searches were comical. One guy asked me to open my bag which was full as I took my hoodie off. He didn't move anything (i.e. he couldn't see the contents of my bag) and let me straight through.

My sister in law however had the most thorough search by the female steward you could imagine. She even checked behind her ears to make sure nothing was hidden :lol:
Napoleon Solo

Post by Napoleon Solo »

hammerman11, most stewards are nobodys during the week and when they're put in a uniform on a Saturday and given a bit of authority, they turn into tin-pot Hitlers
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

rciron wrote:Left 112 after Lamelas goal for a half time pint, so you can safely say I was in the que at 3.45pm, no card payments, significantly reduced the never ending lines of people, and with ten people behind the jump, ( you coudn't get any more behind there) returned to my seat at 4.20pm, three years in and nothing is better, and £5. For a bottle of bulmers, really? :thdn:
The area between Club London and the away fans is an absolute joke and hasn't been given any care or attention since the stadium opened (pick and mix / hot chocolate stand aside of course). Compared to the areas around the rest of the ground, in particular behind the Bobby Moore Stand, there is just no comparison.

I am genuinely amazed there has not been a serious incident at half time by the 112 entrance / bar.

With regards to the 500ml bottle of Bulmers, they are making approx £4 a bottle on those as most wholesalers sell for roughly £1 per bottle.

https://onlinecashandcarry.co.uk/cider/ ... of-12.html
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 135 likes

Post by Ben »

we were searched coming from the direction of the copper box arena and the stewards were very friendly, chatty and did the search properly, was quite refreshing and they took time to talk to my boy and give him some west ham player cards.

on a side note, I really don't get why they don't try to hide the scaffolding a bit when you walk across the bridges to the stand, it's just another reminder how temporary and bodged it all is.

glad to see the TV's on showing the early game but they are placed awkwardly so it blocks the entrance to the stands, they should have some up in the main concourse
danny faithless
Total likes: 1 like

Post by danny faithless »

One of the bars on sat was only accepting cash but you only found that out when you got to the bar and there was a small note scribbled on a piece of paper on the till. Not amusing for the people that queued to then find that out.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

sutts07 wrote:With regards to the 500ml bottle of Bulmers, they are making approx £4 a bottle on those as most wholesalers sell for roughly £1 per bottle.

https://onlinecashandcarry.co.uk/cider/ ... of-12.html
Add VAT to wholesaler prices - although the volumes Delaware North buy, they are probably paying about a Pinky Pound.
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

hammerman11 wrote:its the surrounding area that needs the west ham feel to it to improve. no ribman or LLTB seller yesterday. so no local traders. no old programme sellers no market stall merchandise sellers. no soul to the place.
just a west ham event staged at the bowl.

got challenged by a steward as I walked into 125. she said where is your ticket. I said I am a member its on my card. showed her my phone with ticket numbers on it. she said that's not good enough. I just walked past her and told her I have been here 3 years I don't have time for your crap. walked off with the wife expecting the response squad to stop us. they didn't but wat a state of affairs after 3 years at the dump.

I hate the place but it is all we have now. hopefully they will buy it and things may change. I doubt I will be back for year 4 at the bowl.
Why not just show her your card?
Carlton'sGoal

Post by Carlton'sGoal »

I don't get the thing about drinks prices. Compared to anywhere else in London they're very similar? It was £4.50 for a bottle of Carlsberg at UP. It was also impossible to get a pint at half time there. I hate the dump at Stratford, but that's literally one of the only good things, that I always get a pint at half time.
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

Carlton'sGoal wrote:I don't get the thing about drinks prices. Compared to anywhere else in London they're very similar? It was £4.50 for a bottle of Carlsberg at UP. It was also impossible to get a pint at half time there. I hate the dump at Stratford, but that's literally one of the only good things, that I always get a pint at half time.
Exactly as you say. Price is about the same as anywhere. And at least it's cold. Can't recall the last time I actually had a drink at the old place. I'd say it's slightly less impossible to get a drink at half time now.

Also: just queue to get past security, it doesn't that take long. AND... show stewards your ticket when they ask. It's not exactly the biggest deal in the world. I saw a bunch of men in their 40s and 50s tell a 17 year old girl to "f*** off" when she asked, very politely, if she could see their tickets. Seen much the same with young lads asking grown men as well. Shameful really.