Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Kialos
Has liked: 1548 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Kialos »

We can't keep beating ourselves up with what ifs.

We are largely stuck with what we have and there is zero chance of any change with Gold, Sullivan and Brady at the club so the focus has to be on removing them first IMO.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2883 likes
Total likes: 618 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

goa127 wrote:Lazio and Roma share the Rome Olympic stadium. They still have the running track there. I went there about 20 years ago for the last game of the season when Lazio won the league on the final day. Good atmosphere and good view, but it was a warm day in early may! If the Birmingham stadium rebuild eventually gives us the chance to own the ground lots of improvements could be made for modest cost. It depends where you're located in the ground as to how satisfied you are . I'm in the East stand upper and like the view. If I could go 10 rows lower it would be even better but it's miles better than the view from the (borrowed season ticket) lower tier west stand at UP. Have to make sure I take my glasses, but that's just old age Different people like to watch football from different angles, I like to watch a TV type view, I know some people prefer a low down pitchside view which they don't really get at Stratford. I think the lower tier probably has most of the dissatisfied fans (although my son is round the north side lower and loves it) Although I have great memories of Upton Park in the days of Brooking ,Bonds etc. I'm generally happy at Stratford. It's not popular to say so and there's room for improvement, just the way I feel. If only things on the pitch were better!
I wasn't very impressed with the ground personally, I went when Middlesboro' played there in the UEFA Cup although the fans were bussed in, nothing available to buy from the kiosks and kept back for over 1 1/2 hours after the game didn't help my opinion of it.
I went with Boro to Steaua Bucharest as well and they played in another stadium that had a running track around it, that's been converted to a 55,000+ all seater ground now as well.
All these teams getting rid of running tracks and we move in to stadium with one, these clubs haven't got a clue really!
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 799 likes
Total likes: 3012 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Kialos wrote:We can't keep beating ourselves up with what ifs.
Spot on .

The time to argue was 5 or 6 years ago. We had been giving plenty of warnings as to how the shysters behave then.
Kialos wrote: We are largely stuck with what we have and there is zero chance of any change with Gold, Sullivan and Brady at the club so the focus has to be on removing them first IMO.
Again, spot on ! ( in tribute to Hambrosia Stu)

The focus needs to be on punishing the guilty - Gold, Sullivan and Brady , and by that I mean their removal from the club.

They've let us down, told porkies, abused supporters, ignored constructive feedback delivered well in advance, ignored stark warnings .......

But they knew best , they had all the answers ........

Board out .By any means possible.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

Thé différence with the stadio olympico in Rome and other athletic stadiums is the stewarding and basically running and organising and control of the respective home ends of the lazio or Roma ends , is by each clubs ultras, it’s a lawless free for all there and most Italian home ends, and there’s no reserved seating and cobblers our dump is subject too

There is no comparison, and if either lazio or Roma could afford to they and their fans would get out they do not like it and never have, same as Napoli , awful stadiums, good atmospheres but only as stated above lawless home ends, and I’ve done all those stadiums and hated them hence my fierce objections from day one to moving there as a lot on here know
Frustrated Hammer

Post by Frustrated Hammer »

James P wrote:In fairness, I don't see why any owners would want to spend so much money converting the stadium to make it different but no bigger or more profitable. Our owners are the lowest of the low for sure, but there is no motivation for even the most benevolent billionaire to pour hundreds and hundreds of millions into the ground when it will never, ever get that money back.

The stadium will be an athletics stadium for the majority of our lifetimes. Accept it. If it makes you angry, look at who put us there.
I hear you, but it was our beloved owners that stated we would NOT move unless the seats were a similar distance from the pitch as The Boleyn......they have pants that are well and truly on fire. I do however think that if seats were closer it would give a much better atmosphere and as stated above I think the stadium re-jigged could hold far more than 66,000.......but as I said already Pig Will Fly First.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2883 likes
Total likes: 618 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

sicknote wrote:Thé différence with the stadio olympico in Rome and other athletic stadiums is the stewarding and basically running and organising and control of the respective home ends of the lazio or Roma ends , is by each clubs ultras, it’s a lawless free for all there and most Italian home ends, and there’s no reserved seating and cobblers our dump is subject too

There is no comparison, and if either lazio or Roma could afford to they and their fans would get out they do not like it and never have, same as Napoli , awful stadiums, good atmospheres but only as stated above lawless home ends, and I’ve done all those stadiums and hated them hence my fierce objections from day one to moving there as a lot on here know
I know that Roma were planning on moving to a new stadium but are still trying to raise the money.
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

I have to say that the promise of a comparable view was correct for me, My seat is as good if not better at the London Stadium.
Kialos
Has liked: 1548 likes
Total likes: 769 likes

Post by Kialos »

Oh, I've got a comparable view as well, but only after having to upgrade from band 1 West Lower to East Stand 1966 seat.

To be frank we've had that discussion numerous times and there are far too many who had to either upgrade or settle for lesser views to hail "comparable views" as any kind of migration success.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

There is no comparable view for the BML and Sir Trev lower.
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes

Post by goa127 »

Hammer C.A. completely agree about lack of facilities etc, same at san siro. I was just talking about the view. Virtually nothing to eat or drink except ice cream and crisps.
Samba
Has liked: 2466 likes
Total likes: 893 likes

Post by Samba »

Vienna wrote:I have to say that the promise of a comparable view was correct for me, My seat is as good if not better at the London Stadium.
You would have hoped that some would be better..
Just not enough, sadly. Nowhere near enough.
Dwightster

Post by Dwightster »

No comparable view for me.......fans stand up through the whole game in front of me.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 757 likes
Total likes: 3478 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Vienna wrote:I have to say that the promise of a comparable view was correct for me, My seat is as good if not better at the London Stadium.
Where was your ST at the BG and where is it at the OS, Vienna?
Phil S
Has liked: 447 likes
Total likes: 382 likes

Post by Phil S »

my view is ok in fact pretty good (I had to go from band 4 to band 2)

but I'm not of the attitude I'm all right Jack

I'm gutted for those who have a poor view
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes

Post by Vienna »

Up the Junction wrote: Where was your ST at the BG and where is it at the OS, Vienna?
I was back row of the corner west stand Lower tier stb side, as far over as I could be to the west stand. I was level with the corner flag and now I'm row 19 corner of the west stand lower tier level with the penalty spot and slightly closer to the pitch, still on an end row.
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

BT sport 1 currently has napoli on live in the stadio san paolo, its where england beat cameroon in 1990, anyhow, its a good atmospher, but there is not one supporter in the lower tiers, if you had the sound off youd think the place was empty, and this is a ground with a tight stand to the running track and the first row of seats about 3 foot above the track, so as good a sightline as possible, yet no one goes in there, this lot have never liked their ground, and its in a nice part of napoli quite near the maritimo marina, but the running track destroys a otherwise well put together stadium, for anything but foorball
Diogenes
Has liked: 469 likes
Total likes: 1195 likes

Post by Diogenes »

My view is slightly better too (East Stand 1966 seats) but I do understand that those behind the goals are much further away than the Boleyn. I also dont think people should be getting wet and the walk to the Stadium is a bit soulless until you get to the Bridges. Other than that I quite enjoy the Stadium itself. Toilets, food are all better as well. My major dissapointment is lack of investment in the team and I agree with those that critise that promises have not been kept.
johnnyb
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

Being an oldish git, I have paid £250 for each of the first two seasons at the London Stadium for a ST to the front of the Bobby upper. Not a bad view at all really to see Premier League games at just over £13 a pop. My grandson's seat has been £99 per season so I was more than happy to pay that for him so he can see his beloved Hammers live. I've paid my dues over many many years supporting West Ham so a cheap seat is well deserved I think. If only the football had been better.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 757 likes
Total likes: 3478 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Diogenes wrote:My view is slightly better too (East Stand 1966 seats) but I do understand that those behind the goals are much further away than the Boleyn.
As are you.
goa127
Has liked: 449 likes

Post by goa127 »

sicknote wrote:BT sport 1 currently has napoli on live in the stadio san paolo, its where england beat cameroon in 1990, anyhow, its a good atmospher, but there is not one supporter in the lower tiers, if you had the sound off youd think the place was empty, and this is a ground with a tight stand to the running track and the first row of seats about 3 foot above the track, so as good a sightline as possible, yet no one goes in there, this lot have never liked their ground, and its in a nice part of napoli quite near the maritimo marina, but the running track destroys a otherwise well put together stadium, for anything but foorball
I saw that on the highlights show, couldn't work it out. I thought perhaps it was raining and shelter was better further up? What I did notice is how sparse crowds were nearly eveywhere, when Arsenal play their home leg I'm sure it will be full.