Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

The Big Show

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by The Big Show »

I see the Daily Mail (I know) are reporting that Vodafone are pulling out of the naming rights deal.
Looks like the flags on the concrete have a stay of execution for a while longer.

Destined to be the 'Home Bargains Arena', I have no doubt.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

The worrying thing is they've pulled out because of the tax investigation meaning there may be a lot more to it than the club have made out surprise surprise .
The Boleyn Hound

Post by The Boleyn Hound »

HammerMan2004 wrote:" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Liverpool fan snuck into the game dressed as a steward.
Quite funny to be fair...

But also quite worrying if true. Anyone with a fluorescent jacket can just get into the ground, possibly restricted areas of the ground??
The Boleyn Hound

wildkard wrote:By far the worst bit of the whole new stadium experience is how Westfield treat us. Leaves a really bad taste in the mouth.
Sorry to hear about what happened to your daughter.

BUT you really don't need to make Westfield a part of your matchday - a quicker and better route is via the Carpenter's Estate.
S-H
Has liked: 5737 likes
Total likes: 9652 likes

Post by S-H »

screech
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by screech »

wildkard wrote:Fair play to the stewards in the ground today who let my daughter (who struggled to get to the ground on crutches, with a busted ankle) sit in the disabled section. They also let her queue jump at the turnstiles. They were very helpful.

Big **** off to the **** Westfield security guard who wouldn't let her in to Westfield and said "tough, you'll have to walk round and up the steps like everyone else". She's 12 years old, on crutches with a broken ankle, and your mate at the top of the stairs said you'd let us in! ****er. What diference does it make how people get into the shopping centre? Defies logic.

By far the worst bit of the whole new stadium experience is how Westfield treat us. Leaves a really bad taste in the mouth.
very very similar experience with me and my daughter at the tottenham game.
my daughter is the same age and when we were at the turnstiles a male steward took us both to the front of a que that had a female steward to check my daughter and allowed me to stand with her at all times then let us both through together (i wasn't searched :shock: ) but all the same the stewards actually were very polite and helpful so hats off to them.

when we got to westfield we were ushered towards the stairs to take us up towards the front of stratford station by the westfield entrance, i asked the female steward if me and my daughter can go through to the m&s entrance as our car was parked right there and this was also the cut through that they allow parents with kids through without the need to cross the bridge to the bus station.
the female looked my daughter up and down and said well she definetely aint a young kid, carry on walking it only takes 5 minutes.
7 stewards in total stood there to to decide if a child was worthy of going through to the station.
absolute fucktards of the highest order
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Reading the Nordtveit snippet on the front page, watching him stroll round the pitch as their goal went in, you pick up on Reid's comments too:
just one of those days...
"It turned into a game that we really didn’t want,
"They are really good. They have good quality players and have a lot of speed
Everything went wrong.
we started alright
But at the end of the day we lost as a team
We tried our best and went out there to try and put on a performance.
But sometimes you have days like that
unfortunately, we’ve had a few of them this season.
All of that language. Apathy.
In the stadium, around the stadium, around the club, on the pitch.

When our most urgent and aggressive player and candidate for captaincy starts paraphrasing that "the team sort of tried, but we were happy to get steamrolled because, ya know - meh - it happens from time to time" you know you're supporting a football team playing in an atmosphere where you simply do not give a f*** any more.

Soulless. The whole thing.
Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

bubbles500 wrote:The worrying thing is they've pulled out because of the tax investigation meaning there may be a lot more to it than the club have made out surprise surprise .
The only tax investigation is that now Vodafone have to pay taxes, they can no longer afford the naming rights.
wildkard
Has liked: 53 likes
Total likes: 198 likes

Post by wildkard »

The Boleyn Hound wrote: BUT you really don't need to make Westfield a part of your matchday - a quicker and better route is via the Carpenter's Estate.
Depends. Don't have much choice if I drive and park at Westfield, which looked like the best option for my daughter. And on this occasion we genuinely wanted to get into Westfield to shop.

Where is the Carpenter's Estate, and from where would it be a good route? Would probably be coming in via Stratford rail line next season, closures permitting.
wildkard

Post by wildkard »

bubbles500 wrote:The worrying thing is they've pulled out because of the tax investigation meaning there may be a lot more to it than the club have made out surprise surprise .
The Guardian specifically states that not to be the reason.
taffhammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by taffhammer »

wildkard wrote: Where is the Carpenter's Estate, and from where would it be a good route? Would probably be coming in via Stratford rail line next season, closures permitting.
Come out of the station at the original entrance on the bus terminal side and turn right and follow the people walking to the stadium.
wildkard

Post by wildkard »

taffhammer wrote: Come out of the station at the original entrance on the bus terminal side and turn right and follow the people walking to the stadium.
Ok. Don't think I've tried that route. I've come in to Stratford by so many different routes (driving to Stratford International, Westfield, tube, train, park at Hackney Wick, train to Hackney Wick etc. My problem is the same as West Ham's: total lack of consistency.
nickkarkie
Has liked: 65 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Reading the Nordtveit snippet on the front page, watching him stroll round the pitch as their goal went in, you pick up on Reid's comments

When our most urgent and aggressive player and candidate for captaincy starts paraphrasing that "the team sort of tried, but we were happy to get steamrolled because, ya know - meh - it happens from time to time" you know you're supporting a football team playing in an atmosphere where you simply do not give a **** any more.

I can honestly say in my 20 years playing football that not once did I let a player run goal side of me or not chase back when we lost possession during an attack, regardless of where we were playing, how many fans were there or how big the stadium was. Nordtveit and Fernandes should be ashamed of how many times they strolled back on Sunday. Could you imagine how Conte would react if they did that in his team?
The Boleyn Hound

wildkard wrote: Where is the Carpenter's Estate, and from where would it be a good route? Would probably be coming in via Stratford rail line next season, closures permitting.
taffhammer wrote: Come out of the station at the original entrance on the bus terminal side and turn right and follow the people walking to the stadium.
Yep - head towards the Jubilee Line, then exit the station.
From there you can either head to Stratford High Street where there are countless proper pubs, or head straight to the Carpenter's Estate via a footbridge (which has stairs and a slope). They're building a new exit from Stratford Station that will lead directly to the Carpenter's Estate without the need to cross the track, but not sure when.

Estate shown in grey below (and new entrance in blue):
bbcode img

In the middle of the Carpenter's Estate is a newsagent on a square with small garden that is making an absolute killing (christened Chav Square by some). I suspect soon the neighbours will start cashing in also by selling stuff from their front gardens. Hope so.

It's the most west ham route by far.
Antwerp_Lad
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 39 likes

Post by Antwerp_Lad »

rare as rockinghorse shat wrote:Reading the Nordtveit snippet on the front page, watching him stroll round the pitch as their goal went in, you pick up on Reid's comments too:

When our most urgent and aggressive player and candidate for captaincy starts paraphrasing that "the team sort of tried, but we were happy to get steamrolled because, ya know - meh - it happens from time to time" you know you're supporting a football team playing in an atmosphere where you simply do not give a **** any more.

Or maybe he's just a bang average player without heart ?

I guess you can turn everything into a moan about the ground if you try hard enough...
I get people aren't happy with the move, but there's some things you can hardly blame the ground and lack of atmosphere for.

Nordtveit not caring about a loss is one of those things.
leveller

Post by leveller »

That's one bit of good news then. The place is corporatised enough as it is.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 78 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Antwerp_Lad wrote:Or maybe he's just a bang average player without heart ?

I guess you can turn everything into a moan about the ground if you try hard enough...
I get people aren't happy with the move, but there's some things you can hardly blame the ground and lack of atmosphere for.

Nordtveit not caring about a loss is one of those things.
I'm talking about Reid.
A player who has shown more fight and aggression that any other player in our team over the years.

Not saying he doesn't in general now, but his comments, that performance, this season, the atmosphere... it's all symptomatic of a bigger issue of apathy.
With that, there's a glaring common denominator.
Estuary
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 139 likes

Post by Estuary »

RARS
I'm talking about Reid.
A player who has shown more fight and aggression that any other player in our team over the years.

Not saying he doesn't in general now, but his comments, that performance, this season, the atmosphere... it's all symptomatic of a bigger issue of apathy.
With that, there's a glaring common denominator
Reid is in a difficult position, what he wants to say and what he can as Capt are very different things I suspect. In my naivety I thought Fernandez and Nordtveit would give it a ****ing good go, Liverpool were awful v Southampton the other week, and to me looked like they were shot. But our two just melted after the second goal, makes you appreciate the job the injured pairing of Kouyate and Noble did on Spurs.
simonirons
Has liked: 376 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by simonirons »

Was gonna say, would be a bit rich of Vodafone to be concerned about tax investigations. - Company reeks
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

The Carpenters route is only a good option in addition to the main routes. If it becomes the main route then it too will be ****.