Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

NorthBankAlliance

Re: Upton Park - East Stand Extension Plans

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Gets rolled out every few months this does, makes for depressing reading / viewing...
Hammerite

Post by Hammerite »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Wasn't it always the reason why the pitch was moved so far away from East Stand to allow for the redevelopment.
Yep, distinctly remember the club coming out with a statement along the lines that the new East Stand redevelopment would take place in front of the old stand, which would push it back to where it was up against the touch line.

The bit that still baffles me is what happened to the objections from the residents of the flats on Priory Road, and the fact that the bus garage also played a major part in hampering the development of the East Stand. The residents of the blocks behind the old East Stand now seem to have gone very quite given that they'll be overlooking a huge block of flats (as opposed to a stand) that will further congest the area 24/7 and will place a greater strain on local services an infrastructure more than our match day crowd ever did. Equally, the closure of the bus garage would have years in the making.

The whole thing stinks to high heaven, and I'm convinced we don't know the half of it.

:thdn:
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Surely this was common knowledge. When Curbishley was manager he expressed a preference for this as opposed to moving. At that time the old Parcelforce depot was being mooted as a possible site for a new 60,000 seat stadium. Whatever the shortcomings of the OS there is undoubtedly a demand for a stadium of that size for a SUCCESSFUL West Ham team. There's the problem. If we're constantly rubbish then we could manage on 41,500 stadium. Leaving Upton Park was on the cards well before GSB came on the scene or before the Olympic stadium was even built. That's why the move was effected so easily, the idea had been around for years, so many people accepted it without question
Denbighammer
Has liked: 697 likes
Total likes: 431 likes

Post by Denbighammer »

A number of us banged this particular drum when relocation to the "iconic Olympic stadium' was first mentioned. Sadly, we were shouted down by the 'Prostapo' who were blindly in favour of the move away. Redevelopment isnt very 'progressive' or forward thinking apparently. ..

A redeveloped Upton Park would have been something for us to be proud of. A proper football ground for a proper football club and a home forever more.

Makes me angry just thinking about it.
ereford ammer
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by ereford ammer »

This makes me really angry. Get out dido gang, you all make me sick :x
Bradley_m
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by Bradley_m »

Denbighammer wrote:Makes me angry just thinking about it.
This.

Transport was always mentioned as one of the big drivers for the move.
But a redeveloped Upton Park station would have worked wonders in solving this.
There are 2 derelict platforms at the station, work with TFL to get these unlocked and used on the tube network. With decent matchday planning, new station entrances to platforms etc there would gave been vast improvements, and all right on our doorstep.

What could have been.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 130 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Westbourne Bill »

The transport “issue” was complete tosh. Spurs are increasing capacity by another 25k and yet their links are prob worse than Upton Park.
rare as rockinghorse shat
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by rare as rockinghorse shat »

Whatever would have been done at the Boleyn, would have been finished by now, too....
goa127

Post by goa127 »

Westbourne Bill wrote:The transport “issue” was complete tosh. Spurs are increasing capacity by another 25k and yet their links are prob worse than Upton Park.
I've never bought the bad transport links to WHL. I went there in the 70s on a football special from Barking that rocked up at Northumberland Park. I remember thinking this is nice and easy. Just because there isn't a tube station very near there are different rail options available. Whichever way you look at it Stratford has superb transport links. However Upton Park station was redeveloped there's only one line which serves it, although I never understood why C2C couldn't stop there on match days. Driving there was also a real nightmare. I think transport is one area that Stratford is much better than Upton Park. Other aspects are a matter of opinion, but I think on this one it's pretty much irrefutable
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:Wasn't it always the reason why the pitch was moved so far away from East Stand to allow for the redevelopment.
What might have been...............Fucktards
@TFSH_WHUFC wrote: Exactly that CRS
We could have also extended on BM and TB in future years as area developed, we have truly be sold down the river!
This extension would have taken us to 42k, spuds got grants to update transport at WHL so we could also.
SOLD OUT!!I like many have let this happen before me.........depressed!!! Headbanger
This is one of the main disgraceful aspects of the move. The fact that we didn't need to.
For greed & tightfisted reasons only, the chance to 'move' to the OS was jumped on by G&S.
They are fans of money much, much more, than they are fans of West Ham.
And they didn't care & don't care about the fans.
goa127

Post by goa127 »

I thought I'd look this up on Wikepedia. Apparently plans were afoot to redevelop the east stand to a capacity of 40500 but were shelved after relegation and local opposition. A move to the proposed new olympic stadium was suggested by the then chairman eggy, but was rejected by the Olympic committee because they wanted to turn it into a permanent 25000 seat athletics only stadium Plans were then made to move elsewhere. The collapse of Icelandic banks then bought that particular ownership to an end and ushered in the era of the banks ownership. G&S then bought in originally 50%, later increased and resurrected the move to stratford as the power in the Olympic committee had shifted. Of course it all went askew when the sale was prevented in court and we ended up with an unsatisfactory compromise. The proposal to move however pre-dates G&S time by several years. I was surprised by this.
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

The begging bowl is out early “ season ticket waiting list” email
Samba
Has liked: 2482 likes
Total likes: 894 likes

Post by Samba »

61dicksey wrote:The begging bowl is out early “ season ticket waiting list” email
Quick, get in before the rush!
:thdn:
danm79
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 98 likes

Post by danm79 »

goa127 wrote: I've never bought the bad transport links to WHL. I went there in the 70s on a football special from Barking that rocked up at Northumberland Park. I remember thinking this is nice and easy. Just because there isn't a tube station very near there are different rail options available. Whichever way you look at it Stratford has superb transport links. However Upton Park station was redeveloped there's only one line which serves it, although I never understood why C2C couldn't stop there on match days. Driving there was also a real nightmare. I think transport is one area that Stratford is much better than Upton Park. Other aspects are a matter of opinion, but I think on this one it's pretty much irrefutable
Not sure I can agree with much of this:

WHL is shocking to get away from, even if you walk to Seven Sisters you have to queue to get in the station.

Stratford transport links are good but shame no-one thought to build a station to cope with them.

Driving to Upton Park was easy to park 10-15 mins away walk to the ground and get away with minimal traffic.
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

We used to drive to Upton Park and park within a 5min walk for free.

Tube was busy but Stratford is worse as so many more people use it, for Westfield and just changing lines

Say a 20-30min queue at its worse at UP, it takes that long to get to Stratford station most games, we used to go to front entrance via the Carpenters estate that took a good 20mins.

Retired our STs now and turn on the Internet stream at 2:55pm, miss meeting mates for a beer, alas the board have took away more than than realise from the supporters.
helloducks

Post by helloducks »

There is no longer any permit-free parking anywhere in Newham, except on Sundays. Realistically, in those circumstances, it wouldnt be possible to accommodate an extra 10000 on the district line and would have een equally hard for the less mobile as currently at the OS.
MrHammer73
Has liked: 58 likes
Total likes: 85 likes

Post by MrHammer73 »

Just watching the highlights of the Juve v Tott**ham game, Juve's stadium looks like a dream after they also moved to a Olympic Athletics stadium.

Shows things can change in football and dare to dream.

I hope we will move to football purpose stadium like Juventus in the not too distant future.
goa127

Post by goa127 »

I too used to drive to Upton Park and park a ten minute walk away. But not any time in the last 15 years, it's been residents parking on matchdays for a while. When I lived at St. Georges Sq. (just off Green St opp White Hart) I used to drive down to plashet Grove, park outside the pie and mash shop, have lunch and leave the car there till I came back from the game. That however was 1972-3 and the pie shop is long gone like the free parking
JCA
Total likes: 9 likes

Post by JCA »

I still had my parents in Caulfield Road East Ham so had access to residents parking permits.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

MrHammer73 wrote:Just watching the highlights of the Juve v Tott**ham game, Juve's stadium looks like a dream after they also moved to a Olympic Athletics stadium.
It's a beaut of a stadium, isn't it.

The fans are right on top of the pitch.