Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

NorthBankAlliance

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

Colours never run wrote:And they ain't in the top league anymore. Truth hurts both ways if they wanna play that silly game.
Talk about missing the point, what’s their league position got to do with it?

They’re probably quite happy they don’t have “50,000” mutes coming through the door at a soulless stadium.

We used to laugh at the likes of Man United years back, “60,000 muppets” we’d sing, yeah they’d come away with the result 9/10 times but we had something more important than that. A togetherness, a soul...

That’s what we sold out when we moved, I’m glad other supporters aren’t letting those who still go forget that.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

To be perfectly honest, I couldn't give a f*** what they think. I know exactly what I and many of the fans around me are and don't need to be told by the latest lary blue nose who's only looking for a cheap rise thinks.

That doesn't however excuse the c**** running us who have Ballard it up but we are still West Ham.

It's not the Stadium what defines us, just as it doesn't whenever we happen to play at Away grounds.
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

I don't think the away fans who sing that are actually pleased with what we have become

it's almost pity imo

and no we are not West Ham United any more
and our HOME support is **** imo
NorthBankAlliance

Phil S wrote:and our HOME support is **** imo
When you factor everything in, I’d say only Arsenal are worse...
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

NorthBankAlliance wrote:When you factor everything in, I’d say only Arsenal are worse...
Karren likes this
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1336 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

At least we don't close down one end of the ground for an fa cup game. I see sheff utd and Wednesday had both Kops closed due to poor expected crowds. That's muggy support...
NorthBankAlliance

bonzosbeard wrote:At least we don't close down one end of the ground for an fa cup game. I see sheff utd and Wednesday had both Kops closed due to poor expected crowds. That's muggy support...
They probably still made more noise than our 50,000 though...
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2364 likes

Post by Ozza »

12.30 KO's always have **** atmosphere's for any team I've ever watched either live or on the box.
Watford 'Ammer
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 43 likes

Post by Watford 'Ammer »

I was there in the Barnet end. Terrible atmosphere and turnout from Sheff United today.

I was at the London Stadium yesterday and the comparison between the two grounds really really saddens me.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

bonzosbeard wrote:At least we don't close down one end of the ground for an fa cup game. I see sheff utd and Wednesday had both Kops closed due to poor expected crowds. That's muggy support...
Careful beardy

Earlier in the season, I mocked the Wallies for having to hold a LC match with merely 2 stands open (and the home one was about 20% full, at that!), only to be quite bluntly advised that they were '100x' the club that we now are.
Nels
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Nels »

As a 65 year old white male I was asked to remove my hat with crossed hammers on it at the bridge checks as well as the pat down , to which I don't have a problem.
But then going through E turnstile I was asked to remove my hat and leave it off until I got to my seat.
Bearing in mind how cold it was and ive got nothing else on top to keep my head warm , I refused and asked ,why ?, the supervisor shrugged his shoulders and said that's what they want , so if given a valid reason it may have helped.
As I had removed it once already ,a pointless exercise apart from winding up your paying customers .
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

Beavis Danzig wrote: so that's what that was about. thought the steward was just a fashion watchdog.

didn't get my lid this time though. thinking of running a clandestine lid smuggling operation so people in the ground can actually do up a bottle of water if they feel like it as if they were civilised human beings and not neanderthals attempting to weaponise any inanimate object they can find.
Spot on Beavis, the removal of bottle tops is a waste of time because:

a) they clearly are not stopping them getting in to the stadium as you and others including myself are easily able to "smuggle" them through.

b) if you actually wanted to use a plastic bottle as a missile you can very easily make a stopper for a plastic bottle using all that paper and card found inside the stadium

c) Seriously who the fek is going to be able to lob a plastic bottle anywhere near the pitch unless you are the secret lovechild of the lovely Hammerette Fatima Whitbread, and if you just want to lob a bottle at some other random place see b) above

It's not just at the LS of course, there are equally inept prats operating at a whole host of venues.
MadaHammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by MadaHammer »

HammerMan2004 wrote:To be fair, they’d have no way of knowing if or when you went back to your seat.

It’s been happening a lot last few weeks, ticket checks. We used to get loads of extra people trying to cram in the row with their friends.

Doesn’t happen any more....
You are right and it's a valid point. However, would you want a 6 year old with your behind the goal standing for 90 mins? I'd rather be in row 700000 on the edge of the earth's atmosphere in our normal seats.
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Searches are rubbish. I’ve taken a water bottle with lid into every home game this season and last. Obviously I carry a spare lid just in case they find my bottle.
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

brownout wrote:Searches are rubbish. I’ve taken a water bottle with lid into every home game this season and last. Obviously I carry a spare lid just in case they find my bottle.
I know that the prices are a little steep in The LS, but smuggling a bottle of water in up your ars*e is surely a bit OTT.........
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

Nels wrote:As a 65 year old white male I was asked to remove my hat with crossed hammers on it at the bridge checks as well as the pat down , to which I don't have a problem.
But then going through E turnstile I was asked to remove my hat and leave it off until I got to my seat.
Bearing in mind how cold it was and ive got nothing else on top to keep my head warm , I refused and asked ,why ?, the supervisor shrugged his shoulders and said that's what they want , so if given a valid reason it may have helped.
As I had removed it once already ,a pointless exercise apart from winding up your paying customers .
Ah yes, but in their mind, you might well have had a cruise missile underneath your beanie hat...
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

brownout wrote:Searches are rubbish. I’ve taken a water bottle with lid into every home game this season and last. Obviously I carry a spare lid just in case they find my bottle.
costa75 wrote:I know that the prices are a little steep in The LS, but smuggling a bottle of water in up your ars*e is surely a bit OTT.........
It may have only needed to be the lid or 2 lids up his fundament.
That's unless he also had to smuggle his own hot dog in...
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

They can never find my bottle top lids as I wear them on my nipples. I just say, cold again today eh chaps..
psychoscoredthelot
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 201 likes

Post by psychoscoredthelot »

The Old Mile End wrote:Haven't seen much reported, but my daughter and nephews got first hand experience of some real trouble on the way out yesterday. Seems a mob of brummies ran straight at and thankfully through them and into many West Ham who seemed to be just randoms - some with families in tow. They reckon some were weilding batons of some kind, possibly even iron bars.
Police in riot gear were onto the scene, people were thrown about and separated as horses came between them too. Eventually they alll got back together as the fighting was taking place behind them. They made their way to the Carpenters and relative safety but thought enough about what had happened to let me know here in Australia that they were safe.
Maybe they just over exaggerated seeing it kick off for the first time in front of them, but they were terrified by men aged from forties to sixties going for it hammer and tong.
I could hear the sirens going by when they were in the Carpenters.

The first time I went to the OS I thought that it was ambush central and would be a very dangerous place if ever mob violence came back to football. Approaching from Pudding Mill Lane, the place is full of tunnels, bridges and various side streets. Theres the elevated sewer bank (Greenway) that would allow quick movement for a mob with a real advantage over any oppositiion. It struck me that if this was back in the day, someone would die going to a game of football in that stadium.

Having been there a few times since, nothing has changed. The away support has its coaches along the back near Pudding Mill Lane and there is no real segregation. There is plenty of opportunity for opposing mobs to confront each other head on.
The walkways towards Westfield and Stratford station are very suspect to a panic stampede should a mob charge at the masses walking along them. If away support came from the station too, there wouild be absolute mayhem.
I know things have changed and the mobs are nowhere like they used to be, but I still feel the the place is an accident waiting to happen.

I believe it is a dangerous place to go to watch a game of football.
I was in the same place as your family mate - it started with birmingham being walked over the higher of the roads and then they started coining west ham below..... a bloke next to me got one on the head and he was in a lot of pain - this didnt go down too well with our lot obviously. then a few of their firm slipped off their route and popped up to have a go and went on the attack even though there were women and children present. I had a good focal point of the whole incident as i was on upper ground and then saw that the security who were holding a number of our lot back (families mainly) then directed them into where the trouble was. i think there was no communication between the riot police and the security cos i could see what was about to happen. normal supporters were then even more mixed up with our lot and chaos ensued when their firm started chanted ZULU ZULU and ran towards our lot - they had the usual hooligan attire of scarves round faces and hoods up etc. it went off for about 5 minutes and then horseback police came in and sent them off - i reckon it must have kicked off elsewhere too as both mobs seemed intent on getting to each other.
likemydreams
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by likemydreams »

Phil S wrote:I don't think the away fans who sing that are actually pleased with what we have become

it's almost pity imo

and no we are not West Ham United any more
and our HOME support is **** imo

This is the truth, ask any supporters what their best away days were and most would have west ham at upton park top or near the top ! Not anymore though