Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Smudger1
Has liked: 17 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Smudger1 »

And likely to be starting our 4th maybe even 5th season there rather than our second, all teething troubles fixed and fully bedded in, oh well back to reality!
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Ben wrote:honestly though mate, do you think it is a good place to watch west ham play?
and do you enjoy the matchday experience in comparison to the BG?
Ben, I've said it before I'm very happy with my seats, but I also think they are probably some of the best in the stadium. I'm also in The Boleyn Bar and there's a good crowd in there.

I've also said I really didn't like what the BG had become and didn't particularly enjoy the experience there, I found most of the atmosphere went straight over the top of the East Stand never to be seen/heard again.

So in answer to your questions, yes and yes.

But that's just my personal experience and I know it hasn't been the same for others.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

hammerdivone wrote:
Alternatively those who don't think it's any good at all are either extremely biased, protective or they haven't visited many other grounds to benchmark against IMHO.

It's all about opinions. There are good things and not so good things about the London Stadium as there are with all grounds. The reality is there are some things that can still be improved and some that cannot be changed and we will have to accept that whether we like it or not.
Not really, anyone who's ever visited another ground can see the massive shortcomings and failing of the LS.

The reality is there are few good things about the stadium. The elements that can be improved aren't the important factors like distance from the pitch and the wanky moat.

Only the naïve and easily swayed would accept such things.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 804 likes
Total likes: 3018 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

It's a pretty poor experience in my opinion , I too have seats in the Boleyn Bar and the 1966 club .

The rake of the stands is quite shallow giving a poor perspective on the game meaning it's far harder to see space players could run into etc .Consequently it's a far worse experience for me than the Boleyn .

The bar area of the BB is ok , but for £200 a month by S/O it really ought to be .

The 1966 seats are ok but despite the programme being included the seat is £200 dearer than a Band 1 at the Boleyn .

Overall it's more money in both cases for a worse view than I had .

Atmosphere ? No comparison .

Transport links ? May be better this season due to not having to get a cab to Upminster every home game as the railway is back up and running .

Overall though moving ground changed our club forever , and changed it totally .It's not the same , not even similar .We're playing in a "could be anywhere" stadium lacking in character, wit, or soul .

At my age though I've probably only got 20 - 25 years left of match attending , maybe not even that given the distance from the train to the stadium ( and no, thank you , I don't fancy the raspberry bus), so I'll continue to grin and bare it .

My opinion is these owners have utterly betrayed our supporters , sold us a pup and told us to get on with it or sling our hook .My opinion is they have done a dreadful deal with the stadium owners ceding too much control of a key aspect of running a football club .

I can of course console myself with the fact I was saying these things long before we ever got there , as were one or two notable others who post on here .However , despite a number of people on here wishing those of us who object to the new place would just shut up and get on with it , I won't , not ever .

We've been betrayed , lied to , conned, hoodwinked and deceived and shame on those who collaborated with our laughably named "Board" to make it happen .
Ben
Location: Overdue warning for being a twat on the rumours thread
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 134 likes

Post by Ben »

hammerdivone wrote: But that's just my personal experience and I know it hasn't been the same for others.
:thup:
I'm glad some people are happy, hopefully it isn't just confined to the very best seats in the place.
it would be really bad for us as a club everyone hated it as there is little chance of it changing
Big George
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 278 likes

Post by Big George »

the pink palermo wrote: so I'll continue to grin and bare it .

and that is where they've got us...
Ben

Post by Ben »

Great post TPP and I agree completely
TeddyThePug
Has liked: 1 like

Post by TeddyThePug »

I can only give a view of the place off the back of having a sub £300 seat which means I'm paying just over £15 a game to watch my team. At that price I think the match day experience is great value. Atmosphere is good in our bit when the team is actually playing like a team. The view is good for where it is and people around me (apart from the obvious Arsenal family next to my right who only turned up for 3 or 4 games the whole season) are decent.

I sat in a lower tier seat right near the tunnel for the Burnley game and didn't think the experience was any better for it to be honest. Harder to see the team's shape etc and where passes should be pinged to. I'm not sure i'd be happy if i'd paid a lot of money for one of those seats.

Food and drink is okay but service could be a bit quicker! Inside the concourse is a bit windy and they need to put up some shields to block the flow of air I think. Toilets are a big step up :) They put in some shelves to park you pint, but the place needs more. Also maybe some TVs around the concourse showing anything that resembles some kind of football would be good.

Jumbo screens are too bright for night games, especially that white lycamobile ad!

Getting in is fine without long queues, the trip from where I come from is pretty much the same distance as UP. Yeah the walk is bland compared to Green street, doubly so as I couldn't convince anyone from my area to get a ST in the new stadium!

Since the season ended I've really missed going, so have renewed for this coming season. Can't wait for it to start really. If the price goes up too much next season though I'd have to give it a miss as I just wouldn't be able to afford it.
Porkeyes
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Porkeyes »

I agree with TPP great post especially this bit: "despite a number of people on here wishing those of us who object to the new place would just shut up and get on with it , I won't , not ever".

I was against the move from the moment it first came about. I tried last season to like it but haven't renewed this season. Effectively, this "board" have taken away the thing my son and I enjoyed most in life. I want to hound these liars out of our club for what they have done so shutting up and getting on with it isn't an option for me. It was this lameness that has led us into this ****hole in the first place. I didn't kick up enough fuss before. :fsake:
hawkins_hammer
Has liked: 25 likes

Post by hawkins_hammer »

Looks like they've taken the West Ham United sign down above the stadium. :lol:
Ben

Post by Ben »

hawkins_hammer wrote:Looks like they've taken the West Ham United sign down above the stadium. :lol:
I think they had to take all reference down to us for the athletics :/
It's our home though and we are the priority!!
Noble Man
Has liked: 35 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Noble Man »

Not sure i'm qualified to post here as I am an overseas fan who only gets to 2 games a year.

Went to Bournemouth and WBA this season - enjoyed it but didn't love it like I did my trips to Upton Park.

Walk up to the stadium is impressive but wasn't impressed with the surrounding areas and inside - all seemed very temporary to me. Views of the pitch/game were better than expected but don't compare to UP (where i've sat in all stands).

Will it stop me going - no, will i still get super excited the night before i travel - yes, it's just not the same.....
brownout
Has liked: 96 likes
Total likes: 179 likes

Post by brownout »

deleted
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

Ben wrote:I think they had to take all reference down to us for the athletics :/
It's our home though and we are the priority!!
As long as it is back up for the first game of the season and we're not paying for the work, who cares about that?
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

The area around the ground will change dramatically over the next few years as there are massive building projects underway and also improvements to some of the nearby train stations.
brooking_1980
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 61 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

Not sure why we should have to wait years for things to improve when we had it all at UP, but there you go.

A Chelsea friend of mine gave me a bit of strength as I recalled they had a running track, where's it gone ?
He told me they got rid and bought the stands in so it stayed a fit for football stadium. They must have had issues with the roof and sorted that out.

Anyways, wondering if, in years to come, the next owner buys the ground, removes the track, brings the stands in and we have a proper atmosphere again, somethings got to give, surely.
hammerman11
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 749 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

Overall though moving ground changed our club forever , and changed it totally .It's not the same , not even similar .We're playing in a "could be anywhere" stadium lacking in character, wit, or soul .

I think that sums up my feelings.

Will I continue to go of course but am I happy with it no.

Our only hope is this lot buy a few good players and we dowell on the pitch making us attractive forinvestors. We get bought out, new owners buy the bowl and convert it for football only.

The west stand would need to move forward enabling pitch to move towards east stand. Fill the gap in west stand with hotel, stadium store etc.
The bml and tbl could convert to standing in years to come.
Montana
aka Claret'n'BlueArmy

Post by Montana »

I'm currently working in a new high rise building in Stratford. Had a look out the the other day.. in one direction I could see the emirates stadium, in the other I could see Spurs new ground being built, and there right in front of me was our disaster of a stadium. ****ing pisses me off!!
Graza

Post by Graza »

the pink palermo wrote: so I'll continue to grin and bare it .

Big George wrote: and that is where they've got us...
That's the rub, they've got us. The captive clientele who literally can't go anywhere else.
Ben

Post by Ben »

bobd_uk wrote: As long as it is back up for the first game of the season and we're not paying for the work, who cares about that?
I don't care that much to be honest but it underlines how it's not a real home for us.
Just a soulless blank canvas dressed up for different events