Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

WHURS

Re: The wrap

Post by WHURS »

I think the original wrap design was supposed to be a "digital wrap" that allowed for moving images to be displayed on the outside of the stadium thus the 7m cost.

If that could be resurrected it might be worth us investing in it with a sponsor, instead of a static wrap.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 1302 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Alternatively, we build a nice snazzy glass / brick wall around the stadium...make it look like a castle... 8-)
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

Interesting seeing yet another set of proposed Wrap images on the Picture Thread.

How many years have they had to sort this out?? Now they are aiming for 1st August to install - talk about cutting it fine!

All shaping up to be yet another LLDC farce. Absolute laughing stock. :thdn:

HammerMan2004
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 1302 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

The fabric sheets might at least shelter us from the wind and rain ever so slightly more than the LED screens they originally intended. At least it's solid material now :lol:
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

fabric sheets...its going to look gash isnt it?

all the boasting and bragging, electronic wrap...everyone having their pictures taken at the reservation centre to feature on it...and we are getting some fabric sheets stuck up instead?
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

B&Q's have some tarpaulins for sale.
wobble
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by wobble »

Those new pictures of the wrap look terrible, what's with the gap at the top.
It looks like the stadium has been boarded up.

Also why have they denied us having the West Ham United sign on the roof, it gave the stadium a nice finish.

How long have they had to sort this out, don't ruin this West Ham, it's started to look cheap.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

wobble wrote:
Also why have they denied us having the West Ham United sign on the roof, it gave the stadium a nice finish.
Only my guess but because we do not own the stadium and it was unclear where the funding was coming from to build and install such a feature, it was deemed an unnecessary cost.
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

First photos of the new wrap look good.....
About a week later new images..... and it looks crap!!

Dread to think what it may look like in a few more weeks!!?
:crest:
WestHamIFC

Post by WestHamIFC »

sanchoz wrote:
Only my guess but because we do not own the stadium and it was unclear where the funding was coming from to build and install such a feature, it was deemed an unnecessary cost.

The club offered to bear the full cost. That's not the reason it was denied.

More to do with stadium branding. Remember we are just a tenant in a multi-purpose stadium. For example, do the LLDC want huge permanent "WEST HAM UNITED" signage over the stadium during the 2017 World Athletics Championships? I doubt it.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

WestHamIFC wrote:
More to do with stadium branding. Remember we are just a tenant in a multi-purpose stadium. For example, do the LLDC want huge permanent "WEST HAM UNITED" signage over the stadium during the 2017 World Athletics Championships? I doubt it.
That makes much more sense then
bobbymooresbracelet

WestHamIFC wrote:

The club offered to bear the full cost. That's not the reason it was denied.

Are they unable to cover it over then?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^ Or to make it demountable?

On a different note, if it's what I understand by a wrap, what's to stop some twat with a penknife in one hand and a selfiestick in the other going for his five minutes of stardom?
bobbymooresbracelet

Red Cedar cladding would look nice
bengeo
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by bengeo »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:.... what's to stop some twat with a penknife in one hand and a selfiestick in the other going for his five minutes of stardom?
He'd need a ladder - it starts high up from above the 'halo' .....
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

^^^ Cheers Mr. B, I shall sleep soundly tonight.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

HammerMan2004 wrote:The fabric sheets might at least shelter us from the wind and rain ever so slightly more than the LED screens they originally intended. At least it's solid material now :lol:
When I first started to go to the Boleyn, the whole back of the upper tier of the West Stand was open. I never remember anyone too fussed over inclement weather.
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

HammerMan2004 wrote:The fabric sheets might at least shelter us from the wind and rain ever so slightly more than the LED screens they originally intended. At least it's solid material now :lol:
When I first started to go to the Boleyn, the whole back of the upper tier of the West Stand was open. I never remember anyone too fussed over inclement weather.
v-man

Post by v-man »

New planning permission submitted for signs above the wrap

It is proposed to install three internally illuminated signs to the compression truss on the eastern
elevation, which will comprise a ‘West Ham United’ sign which will be located above the HD screen and
****ed either side by two ‘The Sponsor’s Stadium’ signs. The signage will be fixed to the bottom of the
compression truss using white continuous steel tubes. The proposals consolidate the compression truss
signage to a single location from the recently refused application for four West Ham United signs (one
each on the north, east, south and west elevations).
wobble
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by wobble »

So we are going in again, what the difference between having the sign on top of the roof to just above the HD screen, both are going to read West Ham United.

So why did they knock back on the sign up on the roof, would’ve looked classy up there.
I’m flumax to what they’re up to, just don’t get it.