Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Re: The wrap

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

v-man wrote:New planning permission submitted for signs above the wrap

It is proposed to install three internally illuminated signs to the compression truss on the eastern
elevation, which will comprise a ‘West Ham United’ sign which will be located above the HD screen and
****ed either side by two ‘The Sponsor’s Stadium’ signs. The signage will be fixed to the bottom of the
compression truss using white continuous steel tubes. The proposals consolidate the compression truss
signage to a single location from the recently refused application for four West Ham United signs (one
each on the north, east, south and west elevations).

Can someone who speaks architect draw a diagram, preferably in Paint, to show what this means?
bengeo
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by bengeo »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:Can someone who speaks architect draw a diagram, preferably in Paint, to show what this means?
From the planning docs. Click on image to enlarge.

Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Cheers Mr. B. That looks absolutely fine, notwithstanding those coming from the Westfield side will be the only ones to see it.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Atmosphere at the stadium

Post by HammerMan2004 »

I wasn't really sure where to put this but a lot has been said about what it'll be like at the OS.

I was in Naples last weekend and got tickets with a friend to sit in Curva A of Stadio San Paolo for Napoli's game against Frosinone. What I heard in that stadium was unlike anything I have heard. The atmosphere was unreal.

Despite the fact it was pouring with rain and the lower tier of the ground is not covered.

There are comparisons to be drawn in the sense it's a 60,000 seater stadium, and there's a running track. But the noise generated behind the goals at both ends was incredible.

One thing I will say, is that the view from the lower tier was absolutely awful :lol: - something I'm hoping won't be too bad with our retractable seating

Short video:
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Re: Atmosphere at the stadium

Post by Sweeney Bod »

The Stadum itself is not a cause of a poor atmosphere. I was there during the Paralympics on the night where Weir et al won loads of Golds for the UK, and the atmosphere and noise rivalled anything I have heard at s football ground.

The problem will be, and I hope it is just for the first season, is that a football stadium needs time for supporters to adapt. People who have sat next to others for years, will have new people around them.

Saying that, one of the things I am most excited about is hearing 55,000+ West Ham fans singing Bubbles for the first time.
Made In Leyton 1974
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Made In Leyton 1974 »

Sweeney Bod wrote:Saying that, one of the things I am most excited about is hearing 55,000+ West Ham fans singing Bubbles for the first time.
How many fans did we have at the 3 Cardiff finals and the Wembley final? Sounded amazing at those, I remember getting goosebumps at the Preston final :scarfer:
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I posted a video of the atmosphere at the maracana a coupke of years ago. I always said it was about the fans.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

I have posted similar before , 39k in Olympic stadium in Rone on a cold Monday night , Lazio at home incredible noise , it's not the roof , the distance , the running track , it's the fans , we aren't always great at the Boleyn so with fans spread out across a new stadium get ready for away fans taking the piss regularly
NorthBankAlliance

Post by NorthBankAlliance »

European supports **** all over English ones.

To compare the crowd we'll be getting at the OS to Napoli's is absurd...

Does anyone really think the extra 20,000+ new STHs are going to be on their feet following a capo chanting?
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

The new 20,000 STHs are all crazy Italians, flares, flags, air horns,
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1209 likes

Post by Tenbury »

I'm pretty new to this forum,so this might have been covered before,but don't run away with the idea that ALL the new ST holders(or like me and my lad WL ers) are all some kind of plastic Palace type.I for one was a ST holder for years 'till 98 when kids got in the way.The availability/cost/easier travel + one WHU mad 9yr old,has persuaded me that I can find the cash including the 3 1/2 hr train journey.

We can't be the only ones...personally after the season we've had,and I'm waiting for it to all go Pete Tong,I'm more excited than a dog with a double set of dangley bits.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

amen, a lot of the 20k extras are fans who used to come...i know a good few who are lapsed fans who dropped out due to pricing etc

the big shame is that the big one tier east stand will be occupied by the band1/2 brigade...an area less vocal in terms of chanting....with 1 tier that size, would have a been a great area for people to congregate, and the more people that join in...the more people join in! that said...hopefully, due to the nature of the acoustics, sound will travel well round the ground, more people in these areas will feel inclined to join in, and the atmosphere will build!

i actually think that even if we had just 35k in the stadium, it would still sound deafening in comparison to the same number at the boleym, where the noise gets lost a lot of the time due to piss poor acoustics
eastsider
Has liked: 54 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by eastsider »

We can make the same noise per head as at the last game at the boleyn and with 60000 it will be flagging up as an earthquake taking place in Stratford!

We have a part to play as supporters and will be great if we can create an awesome atmosphere in E20!!
:crest:
Whitters
Has liked: 90 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Whitters »

I was lucky enough to be at the last night of the Olympics, when Mo Farah won his second gold. There was no issue with acoustics then, as the noise was incredible. With the extended roof it can only be better.
mboogers
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by mboogers »

eastsider wrote:We can make the same noise per head as at the last game at the boleyn and with 60000 it will be flagging up as an earthquake taking place in Stratford!

We have a part to play as supporters and will be great if we can create an awesome atmosphere in E20!!
Exactly. I hear a lot of talk from non-WHUFC supporting friends about the atmosphere as if it's some kind of external force that we have no control of but it's actually entirely in our hands. I have no doubt that we will step up and do it properly. :crest:
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Post by Sweeney Bod »

I was wondering if there could be a mid season amnesty. I am sure the are going to be people wanting to stand in sections where the majority are sitters, and visa versa. People could then swop sections mid season rather than wait till the end of the year.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Wrap, digital screen and West Ham United signs confirmed

Post by HammerMan2004 »

http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2016 ... reen-light" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;!
Sweeney Bod
Shirley Temple

Re: Wrap, digital screen and West Ham United signs confirmed

Post by Sweeney Bod »

Tis misleading that they are still showing the wrap proposal that was changed. This is the actual wrap that has been approved.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is the opposite side to where the big screen will be, but as you can see the design is different and the wrap does not go all the way from bottom to top
Last edited by -DL- on Wed May 25, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image too large. Changed to link.
LOS

Post by LOS »

Better than nothing i suppose.

So will that go all the way around the stadium or just partial coverage ?
Aztec Hammer
Has liked: 866 likes
Total likes: 4270 likes

Post by Aztec Hammer »

Good that it doesn't go from bottom to top fully imo. The patterns of the underneaths of the rows showing through give massive character, like the Olimpico.