Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks, Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304

Corney Beal

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Corney Beal »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:I am not sure how a fan zone would be logistically possible, certainly not for every game.
There are so many other things going on in the Olympic Park (concerts, festivals, fairs etc) on various weekends that I would be surprised if there a space in the Olympic park that would always available?

The community athletics field below the club store.
sutts07
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 538 likes

Post by sutts07 »

comebackjoecole wrote: the absurd long walks from to/from the station.
Can we really call a 0.7 mile walk absurd?

Considering it was 0.5 miles from Upton Park to the CR1 entrance at The Boleyn (it was 0.9 to East Ham and 1.2 to Plaistow), I'd say that the main issue is in fact that it is just a soulless and boring walk with very little to do along the way.

The distance isn't really the main issue. Many a Premier League club are further away from their nearest station to be fair.
Last edited by sutts07 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 155 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

sutts07 wrote:
Can we really call a 0.7 mile walk absurd?
Indeed. People supposedly used to love the walks back to East Ham/Plaistow (myself included) both of which were further distances. I understand people don't like the stop/go joeys or the dual carriageway but it's hardly the worst walk in the world is it. In fact I actually enjoy the walk to the ground, you get some decent views of Canary Wharf and the Olympic Park. Not so much the return journey but to be fair we have usually lost.

People should try walking back from the Madejski to the town centre in Reading if you want an absurd and soulless walk.
Sarney10
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by Sarney10 »

I dont think the distance is the issue for most people - its the security searches on the way in, and then the stop and go on the way out!
We didn`t have to go through that at Upton park - and would say at most other football grounds - dont have to do this either
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

Knighter10WHU wrote: People should try walking back from the Madejski to the town centre in Reading if you want an absurd and soulless walk.
Or, worse, a hyper-expensive cab ride on 9/11 because the match has gone to extra time, the buses back ain't running and the last train is soon to go!
S-H
Has liked: 5721 likes
Total likes: 9640 likes

Post by S-H »

It could be a 30-second walk to the OS, but that walk will never compare to the walk to the old girl, the many routes everyone would take every week, the food vans, the locals, the smells, the pubs, the cafe's, the market stands, everything added to the match day experience.

Beavis' post, a few weeks ago, absolutely nailed it.
e10hammer

Post by e10hammer »

All this nonsense about digging down, knocking it down and starting again or moving to a purpose built stadium is all delusional, it ain't happening! Not in most of our lifetimes, almost a billion pounds as been invested and wasted on this dogs dinner of a stadium, and no one wants to spend anymore. For those that went to Goodison on Sunday will tell you of the poor facilities at their ground, but it has the proper matchday feel to it, something we had in abundance at Upton Park. Can't say we even had poor views, I sat everywhere and never had a poor view, I am 60 years old and always felt a buzz getting off at Upton Park station and walking to the stadium, now I trudge across the Park wondering why I still bother. I will never know how we rolled over and let this happen to our great club.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 746 likes
Total likes: 2903 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

e10hammer wrote: I will never know how we rolled over and let this happen to our great club.
Let me help you with that one.

The people selling the dream were , to put it nicely, economical with the truth.

And they're still being economical with the truth.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 155 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Vic_Watson wrote: Or, worse, a hyper-expensive cab ride on 9/11 because the match has gone to extra time, the buses back ain't running and the last train is soon to go!
This was the first ever game I watched live. 9/11 and that penalty shoot out are some of my earliest memories.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1035 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I’m sorry but having had a few drinks after night games at the Black Lion, Wakefield, The Stanley, DofE, the queens, the vic.. the central.. etc and then wobbling about. many a time I was more than a little lucky to survive. It was well dodgy. Walking along the canal is a bit risky now and the train tracks caught me out once but that was after a ridiculous day / evening in the carpenters. Apart from that tho it’s much more safer now.
Major
%&!$
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 330 likes

Post by Major »

Let me help you with that one.

The people selling the dream were , to put it nicely, economical with the truth.

And they're still being economical with the truth.
Or to put it another way.

The people selling the dream, were/are lying c****.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by Rocketron »

mike1961 wrote:If you put the pitch in a hole then the players will be further away from the current seats (and you probably won't be able to see them).
If you dig down lower, you put in a new tier. The current lower tier becomes the new upper tier. The current upper tier(which was built as temporary) is sold off to a 3rd world country as per the original idea
Jon
Has liked: 101 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

Win the next 2 home games and it will feel home from home.

Sorry but this sentimentality about UP is misplaced. The old UP yes. I get that. But the new one with its all seater, further from the action dilution. No..

I miss the lower west terrace, never mind the Chicken Run. I don't miss the sanitised UP after the Taylor Report. I miss the North Bank, the South Bank, the rawness of matchday. I miss 50p hamburgers and the queue at the tube coming home (nah I don't miss that....)

Football's changed, we've changed. The best view is from your sofa not by being at the Bowl. Ask the Mickeys at the top of their new stand or those in the gods at Old Trafford or the Barcodes. Up top in the Rio was a soulless experience.

It's new, different and often worse. But it's still live football. It's still West Ham.. 50k West Ham will be there at the weekend. That's impressive.
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Post by e17 »

Jon - true story: I only did one game in Rio upper the entire time it was there (vs Liverpool. We won) and felt so tom & dick that never tried again. All my mates proper laughed at me. The angle of that stand up there was all weird and off...

Chavs where me & my bunch sat as regulars still had the old spirit - if you could handle the few absolute wastemen who’d turn up slaughtered and shirtless most weeks
Samba
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 898 likes

Post by Samba »

the pink palermo wrote:Just a few of the barriers to the LS being "redeveloped" : All too late.
But apart from all that..
sicknote
Plumbing the depths
Has liked: 99 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by sicknote »

I see we are resorting to the piss poor slagging of the Boleyn ground tactic again
Believer
Has liked: 1391 likes
Total likes: 727 likes

Post by Believer »

Ben wrote: the only solution I have ever seen if we somehow had the money is a rebuild inside the current structure.
then turn the top tier into shops/bars/hotel/cinema whatever to generate money
Good shout Ben. Not sure if it's viable but if it was, that would surely be a money spinning option for an investor. It would be a nice thought if we could replicate Green St bars, stalls and memorabilia in the upper tier were this to happen and as you say, they could even replicate the old Hotel rooms at The Boleyn.

We need someone to do a mock up like Sutts does with the shirts and sell it to some extremely rich supporter who doesn't have a second name of Sullivan....
Claret&Blue,Thru&
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by Claret&Blue,Thru& »

Knighter10WHU wrote: People supposedly used to love the walks back to East Ham/Plaistow (myself included).
Ah yes, the ever fragrant dog sh*t alley. Preferred to negotiate that after watching performances at the Boleyn than the antiseptic walk from the Poxy Athletics Stadium. I'd rather the cr*p to be off the pitch.
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 950 likes

Post by e17 »

sicknote wrote:I see we are resorting to the piss poor slagging of the Boleyn ground tactic again
Most of the discussion is affectionately covering its faults and quirks from what I can see mate, and I’m usually a staunch defender of the old place and how much I miss the walk from the Barking Road every other week

Nowt wrong with discussing how high Rio Upper felt, East Ham’s “ambient” walk home, or how irritating some of the selfish queue jumpers at Upton Park station after a game could be, is there?

I mean let’s be very clear here; there’s literally no comparison between The London Stadium and The Boleyn. Even during lulls and indifference in the stands, the buzz of Green Street on matchday was the heart of what being West Ham UNITED was about.

& that simply has not been replicated in Stratford.
Samba
Has liked: 2486 likes
Total likes: 898 likes

Post by Samba »

Claret&Blue,Thru& wrote:Ah yes, the ever fragrant dog sh*t alley. Preferred to negotiate that after watching performances at the Boleyn than the antiseptic walk from the Poxy Athletics Stadium. I'd rather the cr*p to be off the pitch.
Cycled through the alley on Sat night. Shouldn't really, just makes me sad & angry.
F me, them new flats are high. Wonder how they compare in height to the old East Stand.
Just think, the bus garage closing LONG before we moved, we could have built a state of the art training ground there as well as a massive new East Stand. You would have done if you were a West Ham fan..
Perhaps the new flats will all fall down before anyone has moved in..can we hire al qaeda..