Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 744 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Up the Junction »

goa127 wrote:The problem they have with people standing is that it's technically illegal.
And how do you know this?
brownout
Has liked: 91 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Persistent standing in seated areas is a breach of ground regulations. It is not 'illegal'.
The Football Spectators Act requires that designated clubs provide only seated accommodation but does not say that supporters must sit down.
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 745 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

I will be in the sir trev lower and will be standing and singing with the rest. if they stop standing on lower tier they will kill what atmosphere there is in the bowl.

why is there so much hassle in attending a football match nowadays ! bring back the Boleyn and the past much better.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Of all the issues we have, I'd rank the colour of the carpet very close to the bottom in terms how much i actually give a flying one. Why the club are making such a fuss about it is beyond me.

Dreading tomorrow now i have seen this thread. I had blissfully forgotten just how bad the first few games of each season are with new people moving into an area and demanding that everyone either sits down or stands up...

"I've paid XYZ for a season ticket and I can't see"
"I've been here for three seasons and we always stand up"
"Just sit down you idiot"
"Go and buy some popcorn you mug"
"Come on then"

Etc...
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2368 likes

Post by Ozza »

Agreed Sutts, although I think it fits the clubs agenda of showing them trying everything and getting done over by the landlords, typical club deflection if you ask me
RM9

Post by RM9 »

The surround could be bright orange with pink polka dots, the stadium is still **** and not fit for football.

As Sutts said, 2 seasons in and the ‘greatest migration’ process is still a long way from being any where near perfect.
keithrobsonsbookie

Post by keithrobsonsbookie »

Out of interest, is there anything in place to stop away fans standing in the front row of the upper tier?
ie closing off the first few rows?
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

If fans are wanting to stand up in the upper tiers, unless you’re in the very back row, that’s about as selfish as you can get.
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

brownout wrote:Persistent standing in seated areas is a breach of ground regulations. It is not 'illegal'.
The Football Spectators Act requires that designated clubs provide only seated accommodation but does not say that supporters must sit down.

You are of course correct, my terminoligy is wrong. The breach of ground regulations can theoretically lead to a withdrawl of the safety approval etc.etc. This is always the argument used by clubs to try and prevent standing happening. It's proved to be an empty threat so far and vitually every ground in the league has sections where fans routinely stand. This problem does seem a bit different as it involves a couple of rows at the front of the upper tier where fans like to engage in 'banter' with the opposition fans. It's all to your own taste where you want to sit, but personally I'd like to be as far away as possible from the abuse, sorry banter
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1790 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

I always thought the unwritten rule was stand in the lower tier, sit in the upper. When did it change?
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:I always thought the unwritten rule was stand in the lower tier, sit in the upper. When did it change?
10 May 2016
goa127
Has liked: 440 likes
Total likes: 290 likes

Post by goa127 »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:I always thought the unwritten rule was stand in the lower tier, sit in the upper. When did it change?

I think it still is generally, that's why this issue is causing problems. I think there is genuine concern that one of the 'offenders' might fall over the balcony. Presumably while standing on the seat to shout "your just a a load of *****ing Northern ***** at the opposition fans :D
netheniron

Post by netheniron »

I've been reading on here that having the pitch surround a green colour is causing us problems by making it difficult to hit the right length of ball.

This may well be the case, but surely we can through practice on the pitch find other ways to judge distance. This will then give us a big home advantage as the other teams will be unused to the false perception of how large the playing area is.

Or am I missing something? Can we not actually practice on the pitch at the Stadium? Do we only get to use it on match days?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1790 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

new pitch surround, draught beer and other games on TV on the way (WHU site)

West Ham United can today provide a positive update regarding improvements to the matchday experience for our loyal supporters at the London Stadium.

The Club continues to make improvements in line with supporter feedback and more are now imminent following a recent legal ruling.

West Ham United took action to enforce the terms of its contract to secure the rights that we pay our landlord E20 for under the terms of our agreement. We did this in the best interests of our supporters to ensure the match day experience we secured on their behalf in our contract is delivered.

The Club was successful in all of four of the issues to be determined.

Richard_B

Post by Richard_B »

In Block 104 the seating contractor has put the seats back in the wrong order so that sections of seats do not follow the correct numerical order. I am going to email the club as it caused a lot of confusion today especially for people who are non season ticket holders and they need to put this right.

Did anyone else encounter this problem in different blocks?
The Big Show

Post by The Big Show »

First game I've watched with a constant bass line from some urban ***** going on outside. This place has nothing to do with West Ham. 32 years a season ticket holder, not sure they'll be any more.
Last edited by The Big Show on Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tall paul
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by tall paul »

They've ramped the beer prices up!
Col Hammer
Has liked: 56 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Col Hammer »

Richard_B wrote:In Block 104 the seating contractor has put the seats back in the wrong order so that sections of seats do not follow the correct numerical order. I am going to email the club as it caused a lot of confusion today especially for people who are non season ticket holders and they need to put this right.

Did anyone else encounter this problem in different blocks?
Yes mate, in block 148 my row seemed to have moved to the right by one seat :?
costa75
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by costa75 »

tall paul wrote:They've ramped the beer prices up!

And they're even slower getting your pint ready than before. Must be losing a fortune. The staff are real vacant looking dimbos.

Total shambles.......
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

I have to admit now that I was wrong to originally support the move from Upton Park. As I walk towards the stadium through the Olympic 'legacy', I read the billboards trumpeting that by 2031 the area will be full with new offices, shops and homes (although it doesn't say that the homes will be too expensive for ordinary folk to buy). A giant concrete jungle in other words. I will probably be too old to attend West Ham games by then but I have every sympathy with those who will still be going. I would only hope that by then new owners will be rich enough and sensible enough to move the club to a more suitable environment and ground built for football. That's most probably a pipe dream though.
Last edited by johnnyb on Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.