Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Re: Olympic Stadium Discussion and Questions

Post by Coops »

Do we actually know that the land is contaminated or that the roof couldn't have been extended?
Has this come from the 3 spivs or is there any actual independent evidence?
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

The story around the land has certainly got some legs to it and was talked about years ago, as was the supposed water table that would lead to flooding if we dug too deep. I am sure that with enough money thrown at it, these problems could be solved, but I suspect they do actually exist.

The roof should have been and still could be, extended to incorporate a different seating design and layout. We just went for the quickest, easiest, most straight forward and no doubt cheapest fix.

Having partially paid for one new roof already, I can understand the reluctance for them to redesign and restructure it again so soon.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

How apt, that we have a stadium built on toxic land.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

HammerMan2004 wrote:The trouble with the London Stadium compared to the Luzhniki is that we don’t have any walls. If you gut the “inside” you literally leave a roof and some white bars around the side. Don’t forget lots of money went into trying to make the temporary upper tier into a permanent one. This ground was never built to last in its current guise.
That is not actually a problem. If anything it is a blessing in truth as it would be easier to get the whole place back to a blank canvas.

The original Luzhniki was built to last, it was solid and permanent but they still managed to clear it all out and re-shape it.

As I keep saying, it would just take someone with a vision and some deep pockets to make the stadium fit for purpose. Our current owners come up short on both requirements.
Nesticles

Post by Nesticles »

sutts07 wrote:.As I keep saying, it would just take someone with a vision and some deep pockets to make the stadium fit for purpose. Our current owners come up short on both requirements.
Very deep pockets imo

It would be interesting to get a main construction contractor to give their opinion from a cost perspective on:
a) converting the stadium into something that makes it 'fit for football' for the matchday fan
b) demolishing and rebuilding the stadium from scratch into a football stadium

From the very early stages such as initial tenders bids even to design, the OS was never intended for football. Let alone suitable for a team to make it their 'Home' for 20 odd games a season. The roof coverage, the massive gaps of concrete between tiers etc. When you factor in being unable to dig down into the ground too. even an owner with vision may struggle.

I would say it's likely that costs and time of embarking on a proper stadium conversion that the fans really want, would have huge potential to spiral out of control and open up a whole new set of problems.Hence why our owners were so eager to get us into the OS regardless of the heap of s**t state it was in.

I hate the stadium (and the owners), sadly I'm far from convinced a stadium conversion is the route to go
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Coops wrote:Do we actually know that the land is contaminated or that the roof couldn't have been extended? Has this come from the 3 spivs or is there any actual independent evidence?
From KUMB in 2010, shortly after the club had been sold:

http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=124796
hammerinqatar

Post by hammerinqatar »

Gutting the stadium and squaring off the stands are long term solutions but what about the immediate term? To make the place feel more like home the white seats could be replaced by claret ones. Despite the ground's obvious flaws, a sea of claret and blue seats would make the stadium unmistakably West Ham United, not West Ham London....This will cost a few million and require permission from the LLDC so even something so simple is unlikely.
Red Kens Slave

Post by Red Kens Slave »

hammerinqatar wrote:To make the place feel more like home the white seats could be replaced by claret ones.
wont happen. E20 will say that claret seats will not meet the "multi-use nature" of the Stadium.
DM
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 22 likes

Post by DM »

Get rid of the seats and bring in safe standing in at least one stand. How much would that cost? :scarfer:
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

The seats won't change until the stadium changes hands.

It is a quick and easy win for the club though and will no doubt happen as soon as ownership is eventually passed to us (let's be honest, it will happen one day).

Claret seats would certainly make it harder to see how many people have decided to stay down on the concourse or left early, but I am not sure it would massively change the match day experience.

To be honest, not a lot, other than a huge overhaul really will.
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

sutts07 wrote:The seats won't change until the stadium changes hands.

It is a quick and easy win for the club though and will no doubt happen as soon as ownership is eventually passed to us (let's be honest, it will happen one day).

Claret seats would certainly make it harder to see how many people have decided to stay down on the concourse or left early, but I am not sure it would massively change the match day experience.

To be honest, not a lot, other than a huge overhaul really will.
Stadium will eventually be sold off to someone to protect the taxpayers purse. Atheltics won't need to be there because of Brum. Then and only then will we see any significant changes to the stadium.
James P
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by James P »

GaryP wrote:Then and only then will we see any significant changes to the stadium.
We won’t see any then either.
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

I understand that the land under the stadium is contaminated but would we not be able to dismantle the Olympic stadium and then build a new "fit for purpose" stadium on the existing base?
Mr_Skid

Post by Mr_Skid »

Just reading an old article from the os and it makes me feel sick.

Lies Lies Lies

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/201 ... ess-summit" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

“Our move to London Stadium was part of our ambitious strategy to take our Club to the very top of the world’s most-popular sport”
Shy Ted
Has liked: 453 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by Shy Ted »

She also states "In addition to our strong position in the Premier League"

:eh:
iLoveLasagne
Has liked: 204 likes
Total likes: 216 likes

Post by iLoveLasagne »

Shy Ted wrote:She also states "In addition to our strong position in the Premier League"

:eh:
Also, the below makes me wanna vomit down her throat...
"As a Club famous for winning the World Cup in 1966, when Bobby Moore lifted the Jules Rimet Trophy, and an Academy recognised globally for being the best at producing and developing home-grown talent, it was clear that the strong heritage and traditions required to widen our worldwide appeal were already present.

Our privileged position as integral members of the Premier League, the most-watched football league in the world, means we can continue to share our unique story with football fans, both at home and abroad."
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

She could sell s**t to sewage farms.
Jon
Has liked: 102 likes
Total likes: 142 likes

Post by Jon »

Only if you had an IQ of less than 10.

Gold said the distance from the pitch would be the same as UP. (See RWHFAG video) .Anyone who believes owners of football clubs needs help.

We all need a sense of humour following West Ham (or 99% of clubs) or take up fishing.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

By way of contrast I've a ticket for Fratton Park on Saturday....vs Blackpool...second row from the front so I'll practically be able to smell the Deep Heat on the players at throw-ins.

Proper, if dated, ground - virtually full for every game. Looking forward to it.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

Jon wrote:Only if you had an IQ of less than 10.
Are you saying that 85% of our fan base has an IQ of less then 10?